Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Recent posts

Anti-LGBTQ+ bills keep failing. Could the tide be turning?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/anti-lgbtq-bills-keep-failing-could-the-tide-be-turning/ar-BB1lNWi7?ocid=windirect&cvid=9f9647c1e24c414dbec6a89d9240bdfc&ei=28

Story by Vivian Yin (18 April 2024)

As trans people continue to be targeted in state legislatures, they are finding mundane acts like using public bathrooms and finding new doctors risky, according to a recent poll.

Several advocacy groups, including the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), believe that the movement around anti-LGBTQ+ policies is losing steam.

In Georgia, the battle over anti-LGBTQ+ legislation lasted until the final hours of this past legislative session. In the end, no such bills passed or even made it to a vote in the Georgia House...

"MAGA politicians in Georgia tried it all in service to their anti-LGBTQ+ agenda," said HRC's Georgia State Director Bentley Hudgins in a statement, "including silencing debate and gutting unrelated, popular bills that had bipartisan support to ram through policies that would have put young LGBTQ+ Georgians in harm's way. They failed."

Florida was also unable to avoid the momentum of the political shift. This session, 21 out of 22 anti-LGBTQ+ bills failed. This is a marked improvement from last year, when Florida enacted six anti-LGBTQ+ bills into law. That is more than the seven previous years combined, according to HRC.

All of Kentucky's anti-LGBTQ+ bills also failed this session. Chris Hartman, executive director of the Kentucky LGBTQ+ advocacy group Fairness Campaign, says the success has made him "cautiously optimistic."

Member Blogs / Re: Allie's Blog IV: Revenge o...
Last post by Gina P - Today at 05:56:13 AM
Human nature is to gossip. Once you tell a few it will spread like wildfire. They will pretend they didn't know but you will know which ones have heard. Good luck. Having some pre-versed is not always a bad thing.
Hugs Gina
Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by Gina P - Today at 05:45:29 AM
Davina,
  Thanks for the comments on the looks in my blog. So hard to see past the male memories.

I forgot I wanted to mention this trick that I do to help maintain my back. Every morning I lay on the floor, arms out to the side, knees folded and feet flat on the floor, Then slowly lean the knees to the side as far as comfortable and hold for a few seconds, then go to the other side and repeat. Trick is to go slow and get good stretch. I feel me back pop many times. I then follow with a few stomach crunches.15-20 for me (strong abs=strong back) Then I finish with some toe touches with my legs extended while sitting on the floor.(hamstring stretch's) all done very slowly. I have been doing this for years and have very little back problems. I suffer from Scoliosis since a child and these have been a life saver. I saw quarterback, Payton Manning doing the same back stretch's on the sideline during a game. Trick is to do it even when the back doesn't hurt.
Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by davina61 - Today at 03:33:53 AM
Dark chocs and red wine make for a disturbed nights sleep, well that's what I put it down to. Woke myself up once biting the inside of my cheek, have a good lump there now. Food shop day again, not made my mind up what to get for meals this week ahead. Still trying to budget shop so will wait till I look what's on offer.
Fun and Games / Re: Single Word Association Ga...
Last post by davina61 - Today at 03:22:51 AM
mystical
Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by davina61 - Today at 03:22:05 AM
obvious    hidden
Fun and Games / Re: Bad jokes and puns
Last post by davina61 - Today at 03:19:31 AM
I bought some short bread but it didn't fill the tin.

A woman stopped eating breakfast as she heard there was a serial killer about.

I went to the bar where everybody knows your name and they went who are you.
Introductions / Re: Hi Everyone!
Last post by Paulie - Today at 01:12:38 AM
Quote from: sp884 on Yesterday at 02:10:58 PMI have put together in a Google form; when permission to post is granted of course, they are interview-style questions, but you can be as brief or detailed as you want/comfortable with! All responses will also be kept anonymous.

Just a few words of caution: Nothing about Google is anonymous.  Even if you don't track it, Google will.  That's what they do, that's how they make their money.  All of their free products and services are not really free.
Fun and Games / Re: Bad jokes and puns
Last post by Jessica_K - Today at 12:26:11 AM
Organisations finances stretched after acquiring a failing knicker elastic company.

In other news:

Man spreads bird on bread as he could not tell stork from butter.

Police seek dish after reports that it has ran away with a spoon.

Experimenting ophthalmologist made a spectacle of himself.

Health guru say only cut pizzas into 6 prices as 8 is too gutty.
Transsexual talk / Re: One valuable thing that Su...
Last post by imallie - Yesterday at 11:25:05 PM
Finding this place prior to finding a therapist (and in fact finding a therapist through a fellow member here), this place was a godsend in feeling part of a community.

I'm not sure it's about meeting people "like you" necessarily, either. People come from all different walks of life, are in all different stages of transition (or some are never going to, and being here is as close as they will come)... but there is a kinship, a lingua Franca that I never had with anyone else in my life before.

I could share these thoughts and feelings, and read something that someone wrote and I would say  "yeah, that reminds me of when I felt like that" and it made me both less alone, and validated.

And even now, as my real life support system grows bigger and deeper roots, it's hard not to be drawn back here often, again to people who speak the same language ... but also to also try to in my own tiny way, pay back the kindness I received in my early days by trying to share things that might make others who feel alone say "yeah, I've felt like that."

Love,
Allie