Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Recent posts

Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by imallie - Today at 06:32:30 AM
Interesting! I do have a AF cookbook, but I haven't gotten around to flipping through it yet. Now you've motivated me to do so! I will go look at the baking recipes and maybe check one out. I'm curious now!
People news / Teen charged in mass shooting ...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 06:15:24 AM
Teen charged in mass shooting at LGBTQ+ friendly punk rock show in Minneapolis

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/teen-charged-in-mass-shooting-at-lgbtq-friendly-punk-rock-show-in-minneapolis/ar-AA1nAmZK?ocid=windirect&cvid=d889a28d647c474b850e55eb725ce131&ei=3

The Associated Press (24 April 2024)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A teenage suspect who allegedly made derogatory remarks about LGBTQ+ people before opening fire at a backyard punk rock show faces seven felony charges for a shooting that killed one person and injured six others in Minneapolis.

The document charging Dominic James Burris and another man says the shooting was motivated by bias against the victims' gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.

"Witnesses identified the gathering as a LGBTQ+ friendly community and the victims included people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer," charges say. "Witnesses identified the shooters as two males who were not part of the community, but who had come to the concert and interacted with multiple people in the minutes before the shooting."

Musician and songwriter Nicholas Trevor Golden, who also went by August Golden, died from a gunshot wound to the chest. Golden, 35, played in the punk band Scrounger and was deeply involved in the punk scene in Minneapolis and other cities.

"This shooting at what should have been a joyous event rocked our LGBTQIA+ community and increased fear among a community that is too often already under attack," Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference.
Forced outing policies increase risks of major depression in LGBTQ+ youth

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/forced-outing-policies-increase-risks-of-major-depression-in-lgbtq-youth/ar-AA1nBG4l?ocid=windirect&cvid=7af0832170c74051927791f0c1b1ca26&ei=38

Story by Molly Sprayregen (24 April 2024)

States and school boards continue to debate and pass policies requiring school administrators to out LGBTQ+ students to their parents, and new research shows why doing so is a bad idea.

A study from the University of Connecticut found that a third of youth who were forcibly outed had a greater likelihood of experiencing major depression as well as low family support. Additionally, more than 65% of youth said being forcibly outed was "highly stressful."

Trans youth reported feeling the most amount of stress compared to cisgender gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth. The study also found that kids with parents who were well-educated in LGBTQ+ issues experienced less stress even after being forcibly outed.

"I think parents and caregivers who are very supportive should make that known," McCauley said. "And I think once they make their support known that kid will pick up on that... that can really make the disclosure process much easier for a lot of kids."

"Students do in fact have a constitutional right to privacy," said ACLU spokesperson Gillian Branstetter in the wake of the new study. "It's not about subverting the parents' will. It's about protecting the young people who face very real, very great risks."

Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 05:58:52 AM
Sense   scents
Cooking / Re: What are you having for di...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 05:04:48 AM
Wednesday I ate kielbasa.

Chrissy
Fun and Games / Re: Single Word Association Ga...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 05:02:59 AM
Meal
Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 05:02:33 AM
Aye eye
Birthdays / Re: Members - Birthdays - Apri...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 05:02:09 AM
Happy birthday to each of you!

Chrissy
Member Blogs / Re: Sarah B's Story
Last post by Sarah B - Today at 04:30:23 AM
Hi Allie

Yes, you are right its a special day, although that was not always the case.  The Vietnam veterans were reviled, when they came back and that was the case for a long time.

When the service is commemorated around the country the basic itinerary will contain the following at least.

• Ode of Remembrance
  • The Last Post
  • Silence 1 minute

Two other things that I did not mention when talking about ANZAC, was that the game Twp Up is the only game that can be played around the country without a gambling license and only on ANZAC day.

The other thing is, this is what an ANZAC biscuit looks like:

One final comment on ANZAC day.  I was designated driver, for some family members and I was at a local pub (a place I rarely go to, I don't drink) and I watched the ANZAC ceremony on TV.  When the last Post was playing, everyone in the pub went deadly silent. That surprised even me.

Take care and I will catch you very soon.

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter
Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by davina61 - Today at 03:40:57 AM
Yes best you will get are "burnt" edges!! As far as baking in the air fryer goes its just quicker and less electricity, need a stiffer silicon mould though to keep shape. Lots of cake and muffin recipes in the air fryer cook book I have but just used a regular sponge mix, nice crispy top to it.