Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Recent posts

GOP governor signs law allowing anti-LGBTQ+ foster parents to take in LGBTQ+ youth

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gop-governor-signs-law-allowing-anti-lgbtq-foster-parents-to-take-in-lgbtq-youth/ar-AA1nEUZe?ocid=windirect&cvid=cb14ccacdb7c4754a7dd880daafbeb42&ei=35

Story by Molly Sprayregen (25 April 2024)

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) has signed a law explicitly allowing anti-LGBTQ+ foster and adoptive parents to take in LGBTQ+ youth with no provision to take into account the young person's wishes on the matter.

S.B. 1738, called the Tennessee Foster and Adoptive Parent Protection Act, states that the Department of Children's Services (DCS) cannot require a current or prospective foster or adoptive parent "to affirm, accept, or support any government policy regarding sexual orientation or gender identity that conflicts with the parent's sincerely held religious or moral beliefs."

The legislation emphasizes that the state cannot take a parent's beliefs about LGBTQ+ identities into account when deciding on the placement of the child because "such beliefs do not create a presumption that any particular placement is contrary to the best interest of the child."

For the past ten years, DCS has had a policy requiring children to be cared for in a way that  "promotes dignity and respect for all children/youth and families inclusive of their gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation," as explained by the Tennessee Lookout.

Molly Quinn, executive director of OutMemphis, an organization that works with homeless LGBTQ+ youth, said it's "really sad" that the needs of the "high volume of LGBTQ+ kids in foster care" are no longer being met.

Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by davina61 - Today at 10:06:44 AM
Well I bought chicken, 1kg thighs and 1kg legs. 1.6kg have gone in a chicken masala and the rest (3 thighs) are in the freezer. Also got some whole sea Bass and pork lion chops to freeze as they were reduced with tomorrows use by date. Lion chops are great for stir fry sliced thin and I have a sea bass curry recipe.
 Talk about getting held up, idiots driving at 34mph in a 60, temp traffic lights and folk who dont know how to drive GGGRRRRRRRRRR. At lest I got round the supermarket no bother.
Member Blogs / Re: Allie's Blog IV: Revenge o...
Last post by imallie - Today at 10:01:33 AM
Had a chat with my most gung-ho sister this morning.

She texted me and asked what pronouns I'd like her to use now and if I could tell her that would really help her. Also, she started the text, as she has EVERY text since Saturday by using my new name. Yes, EVERY text.

So first, I told her that until I'm fully transitioned publicly I'm agnostic about pronouns, and even then I will NEVER begrudge family if/when they slip up, especially when I know they are supportive and trying. I don't want anyone on pins and needles or worrying about saying the wrong thing.

I'm not that person. Never was, never will be.

Secondly, I told her that while I greatly appreciate the place of love it is coming from, it is not necessary to shoehorn my new name into every sentence. If it helps her? Makes her feel better? Go for it. But from my perspective, just use a name where you'd normally use a name. I 100% know she's supportive, that's good enough.  She doesn't need to work that hard.

And to please remember, it's still just me.

If 25-35% of that got through, I'll take it.

I do believe this will be like knocking over a Coke machine. There's no way to do it all at once. You have to rock it back and forth several times before it finally tips over. And the key is to make sure when it finally tips it tips in the right direction!

Love,
Allie
Cooking / Re: Do you like to eat a pasty...
Last post by davina61 - Today at 09:54:40 AM
Saved me sending a slap Devlin!!
Hormone replacement therapy / Re: Patches
Last post by imallie - Today at 09:53:20 AM
Mine are the Sandoz patches, but luckily I don't have issues with rashes... maybe a bit of dry skin in the area but since I go back and forth, it normally clears up after a day or two so by the time I go back to that side the next week, it's good.

And I tend to put mine on my hips / butt

By the way, I just put on my first dual patch dose a moment ago.

I think, in the most un-feminine way possible to describe it, adding the second patch felt very much like Thanos adding another infinity stone to his gauntlet.

(Sorry, not sorry! 😉😂)
It was in New Hampshire.

Another short quote from the article:

New Hampshire Rep. David Luneau (D) said to PinkNews, "We think [the bill] doesn't have any place, doesn't have any business in New Hampshire," he said. "And frankly, what we heard from almost 40 people yesterday that, hey, these kids just want to play and be part of the team."
Political and Legal News / Re: This trans teen delivered ...
Last post by Devlyn - Today at 08:23:39 AM
Quote from: Asche on Today at 08:16:40 AMWhich state was this?

The article mentions New Hampshire several times, I'm guessing that's where it happened.

Hugs,  Devlyn
Cooking / Re: Do you like to eat a pasty...
Last post by Devlyn - Today at 08:18:40 AM
Quote from: ChrissyRyan on Today at 07:48:09 AMDo you like to eat a pasty?  ("Pass tee")

Apparently from Cornell, England it is big in northern Wisconsin and the Upper peninsula of Michigan (yes, there is a lower peninsula of Michigan), and Australia.

The pasty is in the way similar to a big empanada, almost with a stew inside.  Meat, carrots, onions, potatoes are some ingredients. 

I do, but I'm mainly here to see the moral outrage you're going to cause by saying it's from Cornell.  :laugh:

Also, it's taboo to call one that wasn't made in Cornwall a Cornish pasty. Just like the difference between champagne and sparkling wine.

We ate at the Cornish Pasty Company in Phoenix, Arizona. (I didn't name the restaurant!) They had some crazy variations on pasties, I think I had the Reuben. Delicious...but blasphemy. Definitely blasphemy.

Hugs, Devlyn

*edit: Also, where I lived in Biggleswade there was a local bakery that sold Bedfordshire Clangers.
Political and Legal News / Re: This trans teen delivered ...
Last post by Asche - Today at 08:16:40 AM
Which state was this?
People news / Chest binding made me euphoric...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 08:15:23 AM
Chest binding made me euphoric. But doing it wrong almost ruined my life.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/chest-binding-made-me-euphoric-but-doing-it-wrong-almost-ruined-my-life/ar-BB1lJ3Fy?ocid=windirect&cvid=8cc362e8eb9443a397d0ccdd9f80eca6&ei=52

Story by Molly Sprayregen (18 April 2024)

In my early thirties, I suffered a binding injury that would end up defining my career... The more I experimented with genderqueer expression, the more apparent it became that I was unseen by the world. And then a friend of a friend offered me one of their old binders.

It was stained from the previous owner's sweat and frayed where it had been cut shorter, but when I put that ratty thing on for the first time, I felt positively euphoric. I was suddenly aware of the dysphoria that I couldn't even name until I felt it abate.

Though binding was an integral part of how I coped with my dysphoria, I had to prioritize my physical health; I'd let it go on too long. I was too injured to bind for short periods—even when it mattered most. Whenever I put on my binder, the crushing ache in my chest became intolerable almost immediately.

In 2015, I heard about a new, safer binder called gc2b. I purchased one immediately. The euphoria returned the minute I put it on. I'd been frozen in place on my gender journey. Now I finally resumed becoming my truth in the world.