Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Recent posts

Member Blogs / Re: Allie's Blog IV: Revenge o...
Last post by imallie - Today at 07:53:30 AM
Can't make this stuff up...

My wife and I agreed, after my one sister called yesterday and told me, excitedly, the funny (and supportive!) stories of telling her friends, that maybe I need to text my sisters ("the circle of trust" as we dubbed them at the lunch 😂) and reconfirm with them that we still haven't told my wife's family or our friends, and the schedule for us doing that.

So I was literally writing that text this morning when the phone rang... and it was ANOTHER sister...

She was so happy to tell me just how supportive HER friends were when she told them! Again, these women (in this case, only two) are pretty close to additional sisters. One of them, however, a real flibberty gibbet if I do say so. 🙄. 

And with this sister I can and was much more direct:

"You DO know that we haven't told the other side of the family yet? Or OUR friends? And do you think the others know that?"

"Oh sure," she said. "You were really clear on that. You're telling family this weekend and your friends next week."

"Right," I said. "So it would be awful if our friends heard it from anyone else, you know? So you all know it's still under close hold?"

"Oh yes of course," she said. "We all 100% do!"

So... I really can't send that text now, and I suppose I just await my third sister calling and telling me, excitedly, what a wonderful reaction she got when she went on the local six o'clock news and discussed it last night... 🤔🙄😂

Love,
Allie
Birthdays / Re: April 24, 2024 - Birthdays...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 07:26:34 AM
Happy birthday to each of you!

Chrissy
Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 07:25:53 AM
Site sight
Fun and Games / Re: Single Word Association Ga...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 07:23:26 AM
Eats
Trans author Naomi Kanakia wants people to know that being trans is "really not that interesting"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/trans-author-naomi-kanakia-wants-people-to-know-that-being-trans-is-really-not-that-interesting/ar-AA1nfyhF?ocid=windirect&cvid=c06c6d4230ee451ea2e018796845cf63&ei=61

Story by Molly Sprayregen (19 April 2024)

Tara is a transgender teen with no access to gender-affirming care. She desperately wants to fit in at the all-girls high school she attends in Virginia, but it's not easy when she knows how much she physically stands out. So begins Naomi Kanakia's Just Happy to Be Here, a young adult (YA) novel about surviving girlhood amidst the backdrop of endless political attacks on one's very existence.

Tara is not interested in being an activist or spokesperson for the trans community.

But when it becomes clear that Tara's admission into the club is not guaranteed, many of the students believe transphobia is to blame. However, not even Tara is sure about that. Nevertheless, she feels pressure to stand up and fight when all she really wants to do is fade into the background and keep working on convincing her parents she needs gender-affirming care as soon as possible.

Just Happy To Be Here is about a girl who desperately wants to be seen for who she is and not for her transness. Kanakia spoke with LGBTQ Nation about crafting the story in today's turbulent political climate and the immense responsibility she feels to ensure the novel has a positive impact on trans readers...

Member Blogs / Re: Gina's journey
Last post by Gina P - Today at 05:43:20 AM
I absolutely love fresh tomatoes from the garden. Starting in the beginning of July to the end of October. Beets are another one of my fav's. We freeze a fair amount of spinach and corn to eat it all year. I'm not sure about the money end but the taste is far better than store bought. Did potatoes as well last year and still have boxes and boxes left.
Cooking / Re: Do you enjoy Asian food?
Last post by davina61 - Today at 02:50:08 AM
Thai green or red curry from a paste or kit is quick and easy.
Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by davina61 - Today at 02:46:07 AM
sort   sought
Fun and Games / Re: Single Word Association Ga...
Last post by davina61 - Today at 02:44:53 AM
nourishment
Cooking / Re: Do you enjoy Asian food?
Last post by Jessica_K - Today at 12:05:26 AM
I love and eat almost exclusively Asian or Far Eastern food. I cook it myself.

A lot are simple Indian dishes such as dhals and chickpea. Over the years like every Indian mother I have developed my own spices ( no I am not indian) so they are pretty authentic and have a very high heat tolerance so have to tone the spices down for guests.

One of my favourite dishes is a side called bhindi kurkuri
Or crispy/fried okra in English. Okra marinated in spiced Gram flour (chickpea) and baked/fried until crisp.

I have cooked a little Chinese and Japanese food, but normally I go to restaurants fave food is salt and chilli soft shelled crab (Chinese) and sushi (Japanese). I have been lucky to have gone to Japan so I know what it is meant to taste like. It's pretty good here if you keep away from the chains.

Hugs
Jessica xxx