Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Let's come up with some gender neutral terms

Started by Sevan, October 27, 2011, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arice

My husband and I use partner to refer to me. He particularly enjoys saying it to people because my name, when spoken, is gender neutral (I love my mom) and so he likes to watch people try to guess... he has been doing it for the past decade and says it never gets old...
I gave a PhD so we avoid the Mr or Ms by designating me "Dr". I have to say that the lack or a gender neutral term here bothers me. Women fought hard to get a marital status neutral term and now the next step has to be gender neutral...
I am a mom and proud of that but I use "parent" as a gender neutral or biologically neutral term... I include the aunt who raised me under the "parent" umbrella all the time.
Sibling instead of brother/sister.
Uncle or aunt is hard and I don't have a good suggestion. I recommend a personalized term of endearment. If I ever have nieces or nephews, I think that is the route I'll take.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•  

arice

Language is constantly evolving and we can make it happen. :)

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•  

DogSpirit

Yes, we can make it happen. We just need to come up with some memes and get 'em to catch on.

I think it's kind of funny that I've embraced the word wife so readily. After decades of using the term partner, we finally have legalized gay marriage and I've been proudly saying wife. But that's more "Finally Get To!" than anything else...

On our marriage form, I was "Partner A"-- they made the forms properly gender neutral.
===============================================
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
-- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"
  •  

Raell

I agree.
I am non-binary but willing to get by with female pronouns. Luckily, I've been living in Thailand since 2010, and they self-identify their preferred gender pronoun in each sentence.

But my ex-husband emailed me a few days ago and came out to me as non-binary female, so I'm having to deal with how to refer to him/her/zer/them.
  •  

Raell

Padma,

First, your ungodly mother story is hilarious.

Second, I'm living in southern Thailand, and Thai seldom use pronouns at all. They refer to themselves and others with their nicknames, use age tags; elder (pee) or younger (nong), and children often refer to themselves as "noo" (mouse). Example: "Mouse drew this picture." Or "Elder didn't call me back."

People add a self-referencing gender tag to almost every sentence, to be polite.."cop" for men, and "kah" for females. People can change their tags at will during the day, as desired.
  •  

Vethrvolnir

:D lady dude friend is great! My partner called  me " beautiful  woman errrrm beautiful....errm" this morning  ( grin ) i offered him to just say " thing" ( dinges) instead.  I'm fine with everything except " woman " or " lady " or "sir" or some such thing . Dinges  is ok. They i find strange when talking about myself. It has so much distance.
So for me - i/me , you , they - is fine. And when writing formal letters i use people's full name without indicators of gender.  Also it is possible to use L.S. ( lectori salutem - greetings to the reader)  perhaps in trade saying esteemed client sounds strange? :) it could be your new gimmick. They will never forget you. :)
Mostly human
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Vethrvolnir on May 07, 2019, 01:58:54 AM
:D lady dude friend is great! My partner called  me " beautiful  woman errrrm beautiful....errm" this morning  ( grin ) i offered him to just say " thing" ( dinges) instead.  I'm fine with everything except " woman " or " lady " or "sir" or some such thing . Dinges  is ok. They i find strange when talking about myself. It has so much distance.
So for me - i/me , you , they - is fine. And when writing formal letters i use people's full name without indicators of gender.  Also it is possible to use L.S. ( lectori salutem - greetings to the reader)  perhaps in trade saying esteemed client sounds strange? :) it could be your new gimmick. They will never forget you. :)

@Vethrvolnir
Dear Vethrvolnir:
     Please know that it is not my intention to sidetrack your conversation here on this thread,
but First Things First, you need to be Officially Welcomed to Susan's Place and the Forums, and given some information and rules that will allow you to safely navigate around the Forums.

I am so very glad that you have become a member here and that you have posted several times now since your became a member early this morning.   I am happy to see that you found the Susan's Place Forums. 

As you post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

I have attached important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Vethrvolnir   
Oh, and another thing Vethrvolnir...
Please plan to write a post and tell us briefly tell us about yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will let everyone have their thread back so that the conversation can continue.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and suggestions that you may be seeking
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Bea1968

Wow so many terms, makes me feel like i am learning Spanish again.  I am comfortable with pretty much any term except "it". 
  •