Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When did LGBT change to GLBT?

Started by Joann, September 21, 2012, 08:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joann

I've noted this on seve several websites along with GLBTQ LGBTQAI.

How about if you put them in order of your gender variance?
Mine would be,
QTABGL
:D
♪♫ You dont look different but you have changed...
I'm looking through you,. Your not the same ♪♫ :)
  •  

Hikari

Quote from: Joann on September 21, 2012, 08:31:53 AM
I've noted this on seve several websites along with GLBTQ LGBTQAI.

How about if you put them in order of your gender variance?
Mine would be,
QTABGL
:D

I always write it LGBT, because that has been the standard order for sometime, I guess if I wanted to say TLBG I could too but that feels awkward to me.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Stephe

One guess why some people want to change it, male dominance in our society.
  •  

Padma

GLBT seems to turn up more in the US - I've never seen it here in the UK, it's always LGBT etc.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Elsa

seriously? there are enough LGBT pride events turned into Gay pride events - but honestly is a name so important that one would trample on the emotions, feelings and needs of other like minded individuals just because they do not belong to the same minority as they are?

across the world Gay rights have usually been recognized first before Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender. Some countries have recognized gay rights but not the others or don't support the others as much.

edit: I guess what I am trying to say is that other groups also need their share of recognition to have their issues as well as their legal and other rights sorted out and by hogging the limelight but removing or pushing others from the name you then force all the attention on yourself even though you may no longer need it while others who were in the position they were a few years ago you prevent them from getting their fair share of justice which is just as bad as what others did to them then.

edit2: I think I have properly confused myself with the pronouns in that post. Urg sooo badly need to sleep.
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

cynthialee

the oganisation started out as GLBT and a number of years ago it was changed to LGBT

either is acceptable as a general rule
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

PrincessLeiah

Quote from: cynthialee on September 21, 2012, 10:29:41 AM
the oganisation started out as GLBT and a number of years ago it was changed to LGBT

This is my impression too. GLBT isn't new, it's the old order that some folks still use out of habit.

Interesting thing is that that order--GLBT--kind of contains in archaeological strata, as it were, the order in which recognition and support started to come. At first, it was all about gay men, and lesbian women were virtually invisible. Then lesbians started to assert their existence and their issues more effectively. It's only now that bi and transgender identities are starting to make a blip on the public consciousness. Or at least that's how it looks to me.
  •  

Constance

I usually see it written as LGBT. Personally, I use BGLT for two reasons. One, it's alphabetic order and two, it puts bisexuals first. I'm bi and have gotten a lot of static from the G and L. So, I put the B first.

eli77

GLBT is the older version. LGBT is waayyy easier to say. I know that's not why they changed it. But still. el-ge-be-te. My tongue likes it.

I'm all for Queer replacing the lot, but too many people are not okay with that. And GSM isn't bad, but it sounds more research paper-y than community.
  •  

Ave

Quote from: Stephe on September 21, 2012, 09:47:31 AM
One guess why some people want to change it, male dominance in our society.

I very much doubt that the misogynistc gay men out there are trying to find a way to assert their dominance and oppress "womyn-folk", if anything, that would be a more lesbian role :D
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

supremecatoverlord

It hasn't changed.
It's just a less common variation of LGBT.
I've seen it years ago too.
Meow.

•  

dalebert

I was under the impression that GLBT used to be more common but that it was trending toward LGBT. My co-host encouraged me to go with that because GLBT sounds too close to a sandwich (BLT).

Annah

Alexia, I think you are putting too much thought into the acronym set up.

When people changed it to LGBT from GLBT, no one was hogging no spotlight.

With that said, I've seen a lot more LGBT than GLBT. It's easier to say and it's not as male dominated. I don't say TLGB because it's harder to say. Plus, there's a lot more lesbians and gay people than trans..i usually agree in the order in which how many there are....which probably would be BGLT, but that's a headache to say lol
  •  

Snowpaw

I don't even think about it honestly. I just type glbt or lgbt, rarely will I include the rest. Because that's a lot of alphabet soup to be honest.
  •  

Jamie D

After the first five letters of acronyms, I get confused.  ;)
  •  

Constance

I had once heard that putting the L first was preferable to counteract misogyny.

Constance

Quote from: Jamie D on September 21, 2012, 12:44:19 PM
After the first five letters of acronyms, I get confused.  ;)
Here's the "alphabet soup" my daughter learned at college.

LGBTTQQIAAPOD:
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transsexual
Transgender
Queer
Questioning
Intersex
Asexual
Ally
Pansexual
Omnisexual
Demisexual

I prefer QUILTBAG for the extended acronym as it's pronounceable.

Constance

Quote from: Jamie D on September 21, 2012, 12:54:29 PM
Arghhhhh!
Yeah, it can be like that.

But at the same time, I think the idea is to be inclusive. I guess there are those who will say the idea of inclusion is being taken too far and that some of the letters in the extended acronyms are redundant. But for those who are represented by those extra letters, it's not redundant at all.

Joann

Quote from: Connie Anne on September 21, 2012, 12:46:11 PM
Here's the "alphabet soup" my daughter learned at college.

LGBTTQQIAAPOD:
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transsexual
Transgender
Queer
Questioning
Intersex
Asexual
Ally
Pansexual
Omnisexual
Demisexual

I prefer QUILTBAG for the extended acronym as it's pronounceable.

QUILTBAG... I like that too.
♪♫ You dont look different but you have changed...
I'm looking through you,. Your not the same ♪♫ :)
  •