Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Why are so many transwomen computer programmers/engineers/IT?

Started by Ultimus, February 12, 2013, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimus

There seems to be a huge correlation between being transgender and having a job as a computer programmer, computer engineer, or an IT job, among other computer geek professions. Myself including, I am a math / CS major.

Why is this?

•  

Shawn Sunshine

thats interesting because i like computers too, maybe the computer industry is a little more friendly to women in general? What gaming company who makes mmorpg's would not want to have a hot gamer geeky girl on the staff?  :angel:
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

GreenThumb

Funny, I have an interview for a IT job rotation within my company next week. "Programer Trainee" $700 a month raise if I get it. I have no idea why you find so many transwomen working IT. It seems a good fit for me.
What inspires you should entire you, live how you want to be loved.
  •  

crazy at the coast

I went to college for it in the early 80's, but I sort of lost interest in it over the years and did other stuff.
  •  

Emily Aster

For me, I think it was just being cast out socially that made me turn to the computer. Then I found I was good at it, so I really liked it. Computer geeks are also expected to be a bit off in society and even amongst their peers, so it's appealing to me to be around people that aren't going to freak out if my facade drops a little. And we usually find ourselves stuck in dark rooms with no people around, so an on-the-job transition doesn't sound that scary either.
  •  

Sadie

I was originally a nurse (RN) but a lot about that field I didn't enjoy so I left and went into IT.  I like computers so I gave it a shot but I was never a "Math" type person. Now after 12 years though I am sick to death of it. I don't want to do it anymore.  So I currently have no idea of what I want to really do.
Sadie
  •  

Misato

I think it would be an interesting study to see what the statistics actually are, broken down for MTFs and FTMs to see if there's a statistical difference.  Do some polling to find out why these fields were chosen.

I have no real idea why I got into CS.  I think my Atari 2600 was involved, I know my TI-99/4A was.  Games were cool, but I really wanted to know how they were made.  Enter BASIC, and the start of a career.

As for math and me-- when I was getting ready for preschool I had to take this test I don't remember in 1982 or so.  The story goes that after the test, the administrator told my mom, "[my boy name] will have to carry around a calculator like women carry around a purse".  Given smart phones, iPads, my Master's Degree in CS, me being trans, I find that old comment all kinds of amusing today.  Though mathematics was not my strong suit for a long time.  I'm still not great, but at least I like it now.

Quote from: Emily Elizabeth on February 12, 2013, 10:30:01 PM
And we usually find ourselves stuck in dark rooms with no people around, so an on-the-job transition doesn't sound that scary either.

This hasn't been true in my experience though.  I get a lot of face time with my clients, and have for the eight, closing in on nine years I've been doing this professionally.  In fact, I'd go so far to verify my Software Engineering I professor when he said Software Engineering is a very social job.
  •  

Kevin Peña

Well, I don't know about that.... Maybe because they are socially awkward and can't talk face-to-face easily, so they use computers?

Anywho, I may be a nerd, but I am not a computer geek. I barely know how to use the internet. I work on bicycles and get dirty, I want to be a firefighter/paramedic, and I like performing manual labor favors. It's part of the reason why certain people were shocked that I'm trans. Apparently, I'm a real man's man.  :(

•  

Emily Aster

Quote from: Misato33 on February 12, 2013, 10:35:27 PM
This hasn't been true in my experience though.  I get a lot of face time with my clients, and have for the eight, closing in on nine years I've been doing this professionally.  In fact, I'd go so far to verify my Software Engineering I professor when he said Software Engineering is a very social job.

I guess it depends on the specialization. I write the stuff that people never see like encryption and compression algorithms, the servers themselves, DRM, etc. I've only spoken to a client once in about 20 years in the field, and that was because they were looking to replace an existing system and needed someone to do the research for them. Most of the time I just get a stack of requirements and a go button.
  •  

Alainaluvsu

I worked on telephone systems for 7 years before I went full time. I got into it because I took an IT class in high school, thinking it'd be a good path for me, since I liked playing around onc omputers. I thought I liked playing on computers because I stayed holed up in my room away from people, playing on the computer all day every day. They were a great way for me to forget the feelings I have about myself. Now, I wouldn't do an IT job unless I absolutely HAD to. That profession gives me a headache.

As for math. I'm WONDERFUL in arithmetic, but when it comes to anything more than that I am flat out awful. I flunked out of math classes 4 times in high school. I want to go to school, but I straight up dread doing algebra or anything harder...

As far as cars (like kkut mentioned) ... don't even ask me to mess with those. I tried to replace my spark plugs once, and ended up taking the whole valve cover off because I didn't know what I was doing. One time I "changed" the oil in my car, and all I did was take off the oil filter thinking that was what I needed to do. Replaced it and put more oil in! That poor Eclipse... if it was alive I would be in jail for medical torture!!!
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

•  

Nero

I kind of suspect it may be just that those with early access to computers may be more likely to have spent a lot of time on the net and discovered they were trans. More access to information. The percentage will probably go down as the computer raised kids get older.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Elsa

hmmm... maybe it's escapism - I am not in IT but a field that heavily dependant on IT.

It's just that when you're busy with a computer you don't have to think about being trans - you just immerse yourself and let your work be an expression for you.

On a computer a person can be anyone. For a large part of my life that's what I did.

Then there's more access to information - but I wish I had this kind of access to information 10-15 years ago - and the fact that the job keeps my interaction with people to a minimum so it's less likely to affect my dysphoria.

I am not speaking for anyone - just myself.
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

spacecase0

I worked in IT for a long time and it is very very easy work for me, but now I do truly hate it and am trying farming now,
but I think it is how the brain works,
regular people have a hard time with computers,
but the TG people have not quite normal brains, and it helps them with lots of the technical things,
native people in many areas knew this about TG people and valued them for the way they can think.
  •  

MaidofOrleans

"For transpeople, using the right pronoun is NOT simply a 'political correctness' issue. It's core to the entire struggle transpeople go through. Using the wrong pronoun means 'I don't recognize you as who you are.' It means 'I think you're confused, delusional, or mentally I'll.'. It means 'you're not important enough for me to acknowledge your struggle.'"
  •  

spacecase0

Quote from: MaidofOrleans on February 13, 2013, 12:03:03 AM
I'm not :-\ ...I work in customer service
most of my IT work was customer service, no one really cared if the computer ran properly as long as I made them happy and they could get there job done,
  •  

Zumbagirl

I work in IT but I originally started off life as a mechanical engineer. It was my degree is in. I was always "into computers" but I found out after I graduated and was working as an engineer that I really had a knack for programming.

Back in the dark days before my transition, being a developer was a good way for me to hide using work. Anyone who works as a software developer knows that it's hours alone sitting staring at a screen. No human interaction is necessary. Nowadays since I work in IT management I really enjoy the people aspect. Being able to show others how to solve common IT problems in programming such as common algorithms, workflow engines, state machines, object oriented design, basic software engineering stuff. Mentoring, developing people, leadership, working with executives, strategic planning, it's good stuff and I enjoy doing it. I found that with a lot of human interaction I have a lot of passion for what I do and if I can influence people then all the better.
  •  

Keaira

I got my first computer, a Commodore 64 when I was about 7 yrs old. later on I had an Amiga 500. Eventually a PC. then I upgraded my PC on my own and I really became a geek after that. I've not owned an out-of-the-box PC since. I build all mine, I do tech support for my whole family and to top it off, I am a digital artist with Lightwave (Used in the VFX of the new Battlestar Galactica and Deep Space Nine onwards) and Photoshop which has often gotten me the question: "Why the hell are you working here?"
  •  

Alainaluvsu

Believe it or not, my mom got me into building computers. We were broke but she really felt the internet was the way to go for education in 1994. Well she was right!!  When we got the internet, I started learning about transsexuality.
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

•  

anya921

Well I am in Architecture...... Not in IT, but always has been a computer geek and when In collage I used to be the "Go to girl" when it comes to computers LoL. I do all my work stuff on computer and I don't think I had any future as an architect without the help of it. I am good in Architecture, but when it comes to drawings I really suck  :D.

Why I am so much in to computers, that was something I could not figure out and I don't think I will ever be.

But when it comes to maths, God I hated it.  I hated  everything in maths other than geometry.
  •  

Medusa

It is simple, for me computers was soft but boyish and none care how I look, I can perfectly hide myself
So it was easiest path for me, I ever was respected geek and someone who knows everything
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •