Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Loosing weight before or after transition

Started by MikeO999, July 28, 2013, 04:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeO999

Hi, I'm currently a pre-everything atm trying to get my gp to send me somewhere that will actually help me.

One thing i've not been sure about is is it better to try to loose weight before or after transitioning?

I have an extra few pounds I wanna get rid of and will continue to do so, but wondered, is it better to wait until after transitioning as I know that hormones for a MTF do affect fat positioning in the waist/hips area.

also any tips on how I can get my dad on board and supporting me as I really could do with his support. I've told him briefly though its been a kind of taboo subject and I just want to say ok, I hope you accept this, can you help. My main problem is that I feel that when I originally mentioned it he was in that kind of mood where he could be loosing an only son so I don't want to mess this up, if you get me.

any help and advice is appreciated :)

Mike
  •  

Night Haven

Disclaimer: This is only based on a few sources I've read online. A person who's actually experienced MtF hormone replacement therapy will be much more qualified to answer your question.

From what I've read, it looks like any weight gain you experience while on HRT will go to where-ever it should be for a woman (talking MtF) or a man (FtM), but most of the fat you have already will stay where it is.
Granted, your body's going to be changing a lot with this, and maybe my sources are a little off or downright incorrect.

With that information, though, I'd try to lose weight now, especially if you want to slim down to a more androgynous or feminine figure, so if you start gaining weight after starting HRT it'll be in the right places.

*Shrugs* My take on it; you could always ask Google and see what you get from there.
-Fight for the changes you want to see made; become the changes you want to see in the world.-

-The world is worse enough as it is; let us be and let be. Let's stop spreading hate and start spreading acceptance...-
  •  

JLT1

If you loose weight now, you will loose it in the male pattern.  If you later gain weight while on E, you will gain some of it in the female pattern and some of it in the male pattern as there are still fat cells there. 

However, if you loose weight while on E, you will loose it from mostly male areas but you will loose some from all over as that's what happens when a woman looses weight. 

It is harder to loose weight as a woman....

There are some old threads about this.  My post was that you should loose weight when ever but once at the desired weight and on E, "bounce" your weight – gain 10, loose 10, loose 10, gain 10 ect.  This will redistribute your weight in a more typical female pattern. 
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

MikeO999

Thanks,

It's not that I want to get to a specific weight, it's just that my waist line is quite erm large, I'm not fussed about my weight, more my figure...

But thanks for your advice anyway :)
  •  

Cindy

It is far easier to lose weight prior to HRT. You may also find that if you are a lot overweight the endocrinologist will be reluctant to prescribe as it is a major risk factor for DVT etc.

The 'fat' (sorry) you are carrying now will not redistribute it will remain and once your muscle mass decreases due to lack of T, then it will be more difficult to lose.

Without meaning anything, when I went on HRT and transitioned I wanted the new me to be lean and gorgeous, I finally had a body I was proud of and I enjoy guys looking at me :laugh:

Your Dad may want to visit the SO section or post on here and members can talk to him, if he wishes to understand what we go through and why.

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

MariaMx

Yes, losing weight after transition is much much harder, but not impossible. I've lost 53lbs over the past 16 months, but it took me years of trying before I succeeded.
"Of course!"
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: MariaMx on August 17, 2013, 04:39:33 AM
Yes, losing weight after transition is much much harder, but not impossible. I've lost 53lbs over the past 16 months, but it took me years of trying before I succeeded.

Good girl!!!!! That is fantastic! Well done!

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

MariaMx

Quote from: Cindy on August 17, 2013, 04:51:11 AM
Good girl!!!!! That is fantastic! Well done!

Hugs

Cindy
Hell's yes! :)

I'm very pleased with the results. I was 205 and am now 152, so that's a 25% decrease in weight. I feel absolutely fantastic now and I have so much more energy and I feel incredible limber. Now it's just a matter of not losing any more weight. I was actually aiming for 165 but it just kept dropping. Now it seems about as difficult to put some back on as it was to take it off in the first place.
"Of course!"
  •  

Cindy

I'm 125 lbs and 5' 9" and have been fortunate to stay around that range for all my life. I can totally tell when I put a kilo on, it really affects me and I feel unhealthy and sluggish. Just a personal thing from what I'm used to in my body.
  •  

MariaMx

Here I am in the same outfit before and after. In the first picture I am 190lbs, the second 165.

Fuffin' top all gone :)
"Of course!"
  •  

Cindy

•  

JLT1

Quote from: MariaMx on August 17, 2013, 07:00:07 AM
Here I am in the same outfit before and after. In the first picture I am 190lbs, the second 165.

NICE!  Looking REALLY good.  That encourages me.  We all need that sometime.
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

MariaMx

Quote from: JLT1 on August 17, 2013, 09:07:59 AM
NICE!  Looking REALLY good.  That encourages me.  We all need that sometime.
Good :)

It wasn't as hard I I thought actually. The trick is to cut out junk food, soda, candy, reduce the carb intake, eat slightly smaller portion and not stress about it. Over time it will disappear :)
"Of course!"
  •  

MikeO999

Thanks for the advice :)

Cindy, I've spoken to my dad and he's a) on board with me so to speak, but b) he's also surprisingly well informed about TG, but thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like i'm heading for the gym when collage resumes :P
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Glitterfly on August 27, 2013, 04:41:28 PM
A quick question... for someone who's not super muscular and a total couch potato but still finds it pretty much effortless to lose weight pre-hrt... do you think it will really change that much with hrt? i mean even if it got harder... it would probably be 'average' difficulty rather than 'super hard' for me if pre-hrt it was effortless...? (to clarify I've always lost weight from normal weight to a lower weight, never overweight but still find it effortless)

Well I have to admit this is not something I know about. But the theory is that when you kill T your metabolism slows and your muscle mass decreases, both of these make it more difficult to lose weight. That is compounded by the effect of E tending to allow/enable the body to store fat to a greater degree than people not on E.

But I haven't personally been in that situation.
  •  

Formentera

Quote from: MariaMx on August 17, 2013, 07:00:07 AM

Is it reasonable to expect breasts like these through mtf hrt?
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Formentera on October 08, 2016, 07:06:12 PM
Probably not if you keep your body weight low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Mariah

Not generally as it differs from person to person Formentetra. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Jacqueline

Welcome to the site. It may not be impossible but it is probably not typical. Everyone's millage varries.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment to read the first several stickies:

Things that you should read

[/quote]

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

kanad3

I think it doesn't matter too much, probably a little better to lose weight earlier, but you gotta remember that it takes 1-2 years for fat redistribution to really start doing its thing, so you'd have to stay on the low side for a long while.
  •