Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Gender-bending fictional characters

Started by dalebert, May 09, 2014, 05:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I'll kick it off. What else have you folks found?

big kim

Jerry Cornelius who appeared in several of Michael Moercock's books and short stories.Jerry was later transformed into Cornelius Brunner when amalgamated with Miss Brunner.Can't remember much more but there was a film made of one book in the mid 70s
  •  

JamesG

Lancer/Yellow-Dancer from the anime "Mospeda" later ported into "RoboTech".

Considering the era, the mid-eighties, it is remarkable that an obvious transgender "cartoon character" made it thru censors and media acceptance. 
  •  

JamesG

Quote from: dalebert on May 09, 2014, 05:48:31 AM
I'll kick it off. What else have you folks found?
Frozen songs snipped

Oh dear God, NOes!!!!  Kill them with fire! Kill them with fire! 

I have a 5 yr. old daughter and I hear that song. every. single. day.

:o
  •  

Amy The Bookworm

Zoisite from Sailor Moon comes to mind. In the original Japanese series, Zoisite was a homosexual male character. Because the show came to the U.S. in the early to mid 90s ... well, we couldn't have that! So they changed Zoisite's voice so that he is a she in the English dub version. I think they did this kind of thing several times. Not sure if this is what you're talking about for the topic or not, but I thought they sounded like they count.
  •  

FTMDiaries

I'm showing my age here... but waaaay back in the dark ages (OK, the 1980s) Marvel Comics had a character named 'Cloud' who used to appear as either a male or female humanoid depending on the mood they were in. The character was a nebula that arrived on Earth and took on the forms of two different humans (a young couple who had died), so they could choose to present themselves as either male or female.

Cloud started out in the Defenders back in 1983, and I remember reading stories where the other characters were surprised to have said goodnight to a female Cloud at night, and when they come downstairs in the morning Cloud had shifted to male form just because they felt like it. And I remember thinking that that seemed like an amazing thing to be able to do.

Cloud went through a sort of puberty and started becoming attracted to people, and it was interesting to see the same character attracted to the same people whilst presenting as two different sexes. Pretty ground-breaking stuff for the era, if you ask me. As I recall, their behaviour was pretty much gender-neutral most of the time, although Marvel did experiment with Cloud behaving more stereotypically female whilst in female form, and more male whilst in male form.

The character was drawn pretty much naked apart from a few wispy bits of cloud covering the interesting bits, so I'm not entirely sure it's appropriate to post an image here.

•  

Edge

Loki from Norse mythology. According to one of the stories, he spent a few years on Midgard as a milk maid among other things.
Loki from Marvel. He went by "she" and possessed Sif's body, disguised himself as the Scarlet Witch, and joined Lorelei for a heist as a woman named "Trixie."
Xavin from Marvel. He/she is a skrull who keeps shapeshifting from male to female and back and identifies as both. Until someone decided they couldn't have that anymore.
Mystique from Marvel as well although I don't think her gender identity changes. (Both Xavin and Loki have made comments about their gender being fluid and Loki has taken female form for extended periods of time which a cis person wouldn't.)
Orlando, of course.
Grell from Black Butler is a non-op trans woman. Many characters in Wandering Son are trans or crossdressers. Alucard has as many genders as all his familiars and can and does shapeshift into female form.
There are a lot more. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
  •  

Shana-chan

I know of some but this link will list some as well as explain what gender bender means but the short, easy and simple version is, gender bender means the character in the show/book/game etc. literally switches between a male and a female body (Their own, not to be confused with body swapping) throughout the series. Otherwise, if they switched to the opposite gender and don't go back or do but only once then that is a sex change. If they simply wear the opposite clothing of their body and still say they're the gender their body is then they're a cross dresser while if they wear clothing that's opposite of their body and say they're not the gender their body is then they're transgender. It's as simple as that. Here is the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_bender

Now as to the OP poster, he'll need to tell us if he meant any that includes transgender but since the name of the thread says gender bender, I can only assume only gender benders is what he wants posted?

Quote from: Amy The Bookworm on May 09, 2014, 08:20:58 AM

Zoisite from Sailor Moon comes to mind. In the original Japanese series, Zoisite was a homosexual male character. Because the show came to the U.S. in the early to mid 90s ... well, we couldn't have that! So they changed Zoisite's voice so that he is a she in the English dub version. I think they did this kind of thing several times. Not sure if this is what you're talking about for the topic or not, but I thought they sounded like they count.
OH GAWD! I shouldn't be surprised seeing as I'm aware they edited the dub big time but, this, THIS!? I honestly thought she was a girl this whole time. *Speechless* Really though, imo in the dub she is a girl, Japanese though is another story. Anyway, I've heard in the final season of Sailor Moon which never got dubbed someone had a sex change (I've got a good guess who) but wouldn't know more and am still trying to get around to watching it.
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

Rainbow Brite

Ranma Saotome from Ranma 1/2, my all time favorite manga. :D

•  

JamesG

Blah... that video was giving me cavities.

Here's a counter point:

Makoto Kusanagi from GITS.

While she might be a "cis female", when you can put your brain into any random cybernetic body, that distinction becomes pretty meaningless.

•  

dalebert

I guess I meant fan fiction different gender versions of popular fictional characters, but it's all good.

Padma

Quote from: FTMDiaries on May 09, 2014, 10:58:14 AM
I'm showing my age here... but waaaay back in the dark ages (OK, the 1980s) Marvel Comics had a character named 'Cloud' who used to appear as either a male or female humanoid depending on the mood they were in. The character was a nebula that arrived on Earth and took on the forms of two different humans (a young couple who had died), so they could choose to present themselves as either male or female.

Cloud started out in the Defenders back in 1983, and I remember reading stories where the other characters were surprised to have said goodnight to a female Cloud at night, and when they come downstairs in the morning Cloud had shifted to male form just because they felt like it. And I remember thinking that that seemed like an amazing thing to be able to do.

Cloud went through a sort of puberty and started becoming attracted to people, and it was interesting to see the same character attracted to the same people whilst presenting as two different sexes. Pretty ground-breaking stuff for the era, if you ask me. As I recall, their behaviour was pretty much gender-neutral most of the time, although Marvel did experiment with Cloud behaving more stereotypically female whilst in female form, and more male whilst in male form.

The character was drawn pretty much naked apart from a few wispy bits of cloud covering the interesting bits, so I'm not entirely sure it's appropriate to post an image here.

I remember Cloud very fondly (Moondragon took them under her wing for a while). I remember Bobby Drake coming on to F-Cloud and then being embarrassed when they became M-Cloud, making Cloud feel rejected, but they responded with some dignity, as I recall.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

JamesG

Quote from: dalebert on May 10, 2014, 10:37:00 AM
I guess I meant fan fiction different gender versions of popular fictional characters, but it's all good.

Oh ok. What is that? Internet "Rule #99" or something...
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: JamesG on May 10, 2014, 11:09:42 AM

Rule #63 apparently. Here's Ariel as a dood.

See More

Shana-chan

@dalebert: Ah, I see now. I'm sure you can do a search for this and it'll turn up results. As for me, haven't done many of those so can't really name a lot atm. (Dang that Little Merman/fish is really good)
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

Nero

Quote from: dalebert on May 10, 2014, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: JamesG on May 10, 2014, 11:09:42 AM

Rule #63 apparently. Here's Ariel as a dood.

See More

Looks like Flounder had a sex change as well.  :laugh:
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Ducks

•  

Amy The Bookworm

So, I know this is an older topic but ...

Luke Skywalker at one time in pre-production for Star Wars A New Hope was going to be named Luka Starkiller, and was a woman. That's a production painting of her with the character that eventually wound up becoming Han solo and Obi-wan, Chewbacca with pointy ears and clothing, and R2-D2 and C-3PO. ... And now that I think about it, 3PO looks remarkably feminine in that picture as well.
  •  

Edge

Quote from: Shana-chan on May 10, 2014, 09:40:47 AMOH GAWD! I shouldn't be surprised seeing as I'm aware they edited the dub big time but, this, THIS!? I honestly thought she was a girl this whole time. *Speechless* Really though, imo in the dub she is a girl, Japanese though is another story. Anyway, I've heard in the final season of Sailor Moon which never got dubbed someone had a sex change (I've got a good guess who) but wouldn't know more and am still trying to get around to watching it.
Also, Neptune and Uranus (I don't know their names) are "cousins" and Neptune was kissing "Brad." Because hinting at incest is somehow better than calling them lesbians.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Erica Porcupine. a transgirl from my Get Along Gang fanfics. I didn't draw her, though. Kytri here on the forums drew her (along with 2 other original characters of mine and a teenage version of Portia Porcupine).

•