News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Man calls suicide hotline, SWAT team shows up and kills him

Started by ImagineKate, October 24, 2014, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImagineKate

*gulp*

I had to call them once and they talked me out of it. Now I don't know if I will. I know many trans people are suicidal. I hope this doesn't discourage them from seeking help.

http://www.standard.net/Police/2014/10/21/Roy-man-dead-following-standoff-with-police.html

•  

Devlyn

Really poor thread title, it's misleading. The suicide hotlines perform a vital function. While I'm up on the soapbox, I have zero patience for people who say "I called a hotline, it didn't work"

Well, if it didn't work, you wouldn't be here, Einstein.
  •  

DelKay

I doubt were ever going to hear the full story but it says there was a stand off. I suppose that means the man had a fire arm with him. Probably what he was going to use to end it.
Maybe he was endangering the lives of the officers as well?
  •  

DelKay

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 24, 2014, 10:34:39 AM
Really poor thread title, it's misleading. The suicide hotlines perform a vital function. While I'm up on the soapbox, I have zero patience for people who say "I called a hotline, it didn't work"

trying not to giggle at that Einstein bit. :/ you're right though. If a suicide hot line doesn't work, I suppose there wouldn't be anyone to say it doesn't work, yeah?
  •  

Boo Stew

Quote from: DelKay on October 24, 2014, 10:37:58 AM
I doubt were ever going to hear the full story but it says there was a stand off. I suppose that means the man had a fire arm with him. Probably what he was going to use to end it.

I sounds like this might've been a case of suicide by police which is a fairly common occurrence by which a person unable to "pull the trigger" themselves will set into motion events which lead to their death at the hands of another (in this case the police) Perhaps the hotline call was merely a setup for this and was never about seeking actual help.
  •  

DelKay

Quote from: Boo Stew on October 24, 2014, 10:43:49 AM
I sounds like this might've been a case of suicide by police which is a fairly common occurrence by which a person unable to "pull the trigger" themselves will set into motion events which lead to their death at the hands of another (in this case the police) Perhaps the hotline call was merely a setup for this and was never about seeking actual help.
if that's the case then that's just disgusting. Setting up another person and attempting to force them to kill you. No body should have to live with that kind of sh!t.
I hope that's not what this was about though.
  •  

amZo

Quote from: ImagineKate on October 24, 2014, 10:21:34 AM
*gulp*

I had to call them once and they talked me out of it. Now I don't know if I will. I know many trans people are suicidal. I hope this doesn't discourage them from seeking help.

http://www.standard.net/Police/2014/10/21/Roy-man-dead-following-standoff-with-police.html

If they don't account fully for what occurred, then I think it might prevent some from calling. I imagine he was expressing intent of violence when he called... but who knows any longer, maybe he just voiced support for the Tea Party...
  •  

Athena

First and foremost we don't know the exact details of what happened here. If you are feeling suicidal GET HELP. Call the suicide hotlines, that hotline probably had a dozen or more calls that night where the people are still alive.  You are at a much higher risk of harming yourself without help then the risk that the police will take your life.

Please Please Please do not allow this story to stop you from getting the help that you need. This story is a tragedy yes but there are so many more cases where people were saved.
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: DelKay on October 24, 2014, 10:37:58 AM

We don't know all the facts.

We do know that a SWAT team was sent to investigate a suicide call. Why?

Police and over-militarization and SWATing for every little thing is a bit much for me.
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Boo Stew on October 24, 2014, 10:43:49 AM

Could be.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: ImagineKate on October 24, 2014, 11:13:01 AM

Police and over-militarization and SWATing for every little thing is a bit much for me.

No, the SWAT team was called in by officers...

"At about 4 a.m., officers were dispatched to 3779 W. 5300 South to check on a man who had called a suicide hotline, according to Detective Matt Gwynn, the public information officer for Roy Police Department. A negotiator from the SWAT team was then brought in, and Gwynn says a 6- to 6 ½-hour standoff ensued."
  •  

DelKay

Quote from: ImagineKate on October 24, 2014, 11:13:01 AM

i don't really know much about suicide hot lining stuff. But who do they usually send in for these calls?
Also, if they here that an unstable guy has a gun and is threatening to kill himself, and apparently had people with him at the time, maybe they thought he was putting them at risk. The article said he had people over around the time the call was made.
Then there was a stand off with him and the team. Idk. It's not hard to think of all the things that could have went wrong in this situation.
  •  

Cindy

I'm of the opinion that this thread does little use and is in danger of sensationalising a tragic situation.

It is important that people can call helplines without fear.

Sadly there will be people who call helplines and then may want to, or end up in confrontational situations.

Let us leave such topics for the Tabloids rather than  here.
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 24, 2014, 10:34:39 AM

Not true. I had one that told me to stop wasting their time. That isn't what saved me, matter of fact. It pushed me in the other direction.
  •