Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Dyslexia among Transgender Communities?

Started by Jacqueline, May 08, 2015, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueline

I hope I am not posting in the wrong spot. I know this is the area for scientific subjects and generally seems very technical

I was wondering if there has been either anecdotal or scientific research to see how common dyslexia, at any intensity, is among the transgender community? It strikes me that dysphoria lashes out in many possible ways.

I am not a scientist and it is a pet curiosity or maybe theory of mine. However, I am open to being proven wrong.

Sincerely curious,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Devlyn

I could only find one mention here, in the neurological section of this, so I'd guess extensive research has probably not been undertaken. https://www.susans.org/wiki/Gender_differences

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jacqueline

Thanks for the looking around.

Something I may still try to find info about around the web.

Joanna
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Wynternight

I know anecdote is not the plural of data but I am mildly dyslexic. I'd be interested to see if there was any kind of correlation.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

alexis.j

Slightly dyslexic here. It generally does not bug me too much....
  •  

Jacqueline

I have been as well. Not drastically.

Hence the interest in the subject.

Thanks all. Off to bed.

Joanna
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

JoanneB

Wow!  My wife was just asking about this like 2-3 days ago.

I recall some survey a couple of years ago on left-handedness. I guess you can call me Bi-Handed. My mom was a lefty and I did try to emulate her though I am a natural righty.

I've always been a bit dsylexic, No where nearly as bad as my wife is. Still enough to mess me up, especially writing. Which I rely on being a former big stutterer.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Dee Marshall

I don't have much letter dyslexia for some strange reason, mostly words. I do have todouble check strings of numbers and still get them wrong. Training myself to deal with it I learned to read regardless of orientation. I sometimes read menues upside down just to get a reaction.

The words? There was a group of signs on my college campus I always seemed to read as "please keep your leash on a dog." That kind of thing still happens to me a lot.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Kyle_C

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet everyone.

I just started thinking about the prevalence of dyslexia in the trans community while watching Caitlyn Jenner's Diane Sawyer interview.  Apparently, Caitlyn grew up with severe dyslexia. http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/success-stories/bruce-jenner

This forum was the top of the google search results, so I am guessing no one has really studied this question.

Mod note- Link okay.
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

LordKAT

I have small issue with transposing numbers.  I am in no way convinced that it is more or less so than the average human being.
  •  

Joelene9

Dyslexic here. Transposing alpha-numeric strings. My "dyslexic stammer" may be CIDP, an autoimmune neurological disorder that causes pain and motor disorders starting with the extremities and moving toward the trunk. It causes slurred speech as a precursor or as part of the advanced symptoms. CIDP could be decades (mine is 35 years +) or  a month in the onset.
  Memory of certain images is a mirror image, including some colors such as someone in a blue swimsuit is remembered as someone in a yellow one. I see no difference of the percentage of those with dyslexia between the transgender community and the others.

Joelene
  •