Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Anybody gone to trade school / community college AFTER a Bachelor's?

Started by purpleshiny, September 07, 2015, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purpleshiny

I'm just curious to see how unorthodox this is.  I got my Bachelor's degree around four years ago (and on a full ride at that, so no debt) and have recently been realizing how much I like to weld and work with metal as a hobby.  I've since made a decision to embrace what I enjoy in life and go back to school for it (and hopefully use the skill artistically), even though I've had to mentally accept that a lot of my white-collar, cushy desk job peers won't understand it.  Funny how that whole "who cares if I'm judged" thing has caused me to really embrace the things I want out of life. :)

I was originally looking at a creative writing Master's program (my day job involves newspaper writing and I'm working on a book), but I realized that for the $40,000 I'd be spending for two years, I already know most of what they'll be teaching me, versus $8000 that I could just pay out of pocket for a program I really am passionate about.

Just curious if anybody else has done this!
Any pronoun works.  I also answer to "hey you."
  •  

Tysilio

Go for it.

I had a Ph.D before I wised up and did a two-year program at a trade school. I had a lot more fun, and it improved my employment prospects considerably.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

judithlynn

I did a degree course as part of my time in the British Army and then did a Diploma course in IT Systems Analysis & Design, but when I transitioned and was living full time, I went to local Adult Education college and did a Secretarial & Shorthand course to learn to be a Secretary/Receptionist (which was a fundamental change for me), but which helped me tremendously at getting work as a woman.
Judith
:-*
Hugs

•  

Lady Smith

In my old life I was a heavy truck mechanic so I got to learn all manner of amazing skills that most women don't get a chance at.  For me the tertiary study came later after transition when I trained as a social worker and then later again when I was working for the adult mental health service I studied Psychology and Human Behaviour.  Not having any computer skills I went to night school to acquire those so I'm a big fan of the community college model of learning.

My demi-girl daughter studied computer science and electronics and found University to be too much of a boys' club in those areas.  She had far greater success completing her studies at a polytech where the tutors weren't so up themselves and being female wasn't an affront to male dominated traditions.  Even with her considerable skills in some very esoteric areas of programming which I don't even begin to understand she still gets insulted and put down by other male programmers who don't like her playing in their sandbox.
Sooooo essentially men can be pricks sometimes when women stray into areas that they consider to be traditionally theirs, but don't let that stop you for a moment purpleshiny.  I don't think you'll need to do a complete trade school certificate course in welding because you'll only need to do that if you're planning to actually work as a tradesperson welder.  I'm sure that there will be 'hobbyist' night school classes in welding available somewhere in your area.  Welding is about surface preparation, heat control and practice, - lots of practice.  So once you have somebody show you the basic 'how-tos' it's mostly about practicing what you've been taught.  If I lived closer and not halfway around the world from you I'd be happy to teach you :D

By the way I write and the last thing I would ever think of doing is paying $40,000 to somebody to give me a cleverness certificate to say I know how to do it.  But then I've always been a practical hands on sort of girl  ;)
  •  

purpleshiny

You are all so right!  I am tremendously inspired after reading what you have to offer - thanks for putting my mind at ease and making me feel better about my choice. :)

Quote from: Lady Smith on September 09, 2015, 12:23:26 AMI don't think you'll need to do a complete trade school certificate course in welding because you'll only need to do that if you're planning to actually work as a tradesperson welder.  I'm sure that there will be 'hobbyist' night school classes in welding available somewhere in your area.  Welding is about surface preparation, heat control and practice, - lots of practice.  So once you have somebody show you the basic 'how-tos' it's mostly about practicing what you've been taught.  If I lived closer and not halfway around the world from you I'd be happy to teach you :D

I love welding.  I do it regularly in my spare time although my experience is limited to stick (I would love a TIG setup but money is one thing I lack! haha ^_^).  It all started as a result of my unicycle hobby - I wanted to build my own, which lead me to discovering metalworking and welding.  As much as I realize that a whole degree in the subject is probably overkill, I would honestly love to at least have the option of working as a tradeperson welder as I pursue my passions.  I seriously love it - focusing on your weld pool seems to melt away all the stress of the day, no pun intended.  And I promised myself I'd go back to school for something I truly loved, so I think I've found the perfect fit.  ;D
  •  

Lady Smith

Even though I own an arc welder and a MIG welder it's torch welding and brazing which is my major love.  For bicycle type work brazing is a really good skill to have as it makes for stronger joints without any risk of weakening thinwall tubing just past the weld zone which can happen with Arc or MIG welding.

I know what you mean about watching the weld pool and becoming absorbed in what you're doing. :D
  •  

purpleshiny

Quote from: Lady Smith on September 09, 2015, 01:00:12 AM
Even though I own an arc welder and a MIG welder it's torch welding and brazing which is my major love.  For bicycle type work brazing is a really good skill to have as it makes for stronger joints without any risk of weakening thinwall tubing just past the weld zone which can happen with Arc or MIG welding.

I know what you mean about watching the weld pool and becoming absorbed in what you're doing. :D

Oh, brazing is a beautiful art.  I've seen it done once at a local bike shop and was tremendously impressed.  Unicycles tend to be more utilitarian and are almost always TIG welded, but obviously there can be a lot of money in small-batch artesian bicycles.  Thankfully my program offers brazing as an elective, and by no surprise I am already committed to it in my head.  Truly elegant work.

Unicycles, on the other hand, can easily be slapped together by sticking some thick steel together.  You generally don't go very fast and crash a lot, so the more durability the better.  :D
  •  

Lady Smith

I'm glad you've made up your mind purpleshiny because I've always believed that if you can work at something you enjoy doing anyway and get paid for it it's win all the way.  You certainly have my support and encouragement whenever you need it so feel free to PM me any time.
  •  

purpleshiny

Quote from: Lady Smith on September 09, 2015, 01:12:38 AM
I'm glad you've made up your mind purpleshiny because I've always believed that if you can work at something you enjoy doing anyway and get paid for it it's win all the way.  You certainly have my support and encouragement whenever you need it so feel free to PM me any time.

Awwww.  You are seriously awesome, thank you.  ;D
  •  

FTMax

I'm thinking about it currently so that I can expand my job options. I have a Master's in a field that it's very difficult to find work in. They started adding certifications to the field around the time I got my degree, so everyone currently in those positions is holding onto them tight because they can't make any upward or lateral moves. Had I known that before I went into the program, I probably wouldn't have done it.

I'm considering going back for another Master's and PhD. But I don't know how comfortably I could go back to being a poor grad student.

I'm also considering a few different programs at our local community college. I don't dislike my current job, but it's not what I see myself doing in the long term. Considering IT stuff, paralegal stuff, or getting EMT certified. Leaning towards the EMT stuff and doing some volunteering, as that is most closely related to the job experience I have that I actually enjoyed, and both of my degrees.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

fairview

Bs in Education when I was 22. 3 years ago at 54 I finished cosmetology school and got my license. In a few days I will finish at barber school at 57. Degrees are good, trades can be fun. I only have one regret, had I done this 40 years ago I would have been a lot happier.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: fairview on September 09, 2015, 11:19:32 AM
I only have one regret, had I done this 40 years ago I would have been a lot happier.
It were different times then, and a completely different sentiment.
Much has changed only the last few years.
I'd say enjoy what is now and look forwards.

hugs
  •  

DawnOday

A trade school will teach you to work. A four year school will teach you how to avoid work and supervise others that do work.  Yes I've done it. Just make sure your not training for a dying industry or profession. When you get to work ask questions of everybody, everyone knows something you don't. My greatest source of information was always the people actually doing the work. The suits only had theory's that often did not pan out.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

DawnOday

I highly recommend looking into the MIT online gender study courses. These are undergraduate courses and are FREE.
They are courses taught in the classroom converted to the internet. Did I say, IT"S FREE.
You can't get a degree but you can get a certification if you are so inclined.

I am including the web address. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=society&subcat=genderstudies

I only recommend this site because MIT and 50 other major colleges like Stanford, Harvard have contributed courses. Wow just those three colleges should entice you. Did I say they were FREE.

Dana if this doesn't pass muster as I referenced a website Please make the necessary adjustment. Thanks Dawn
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•