Author Topic: Issue on Name Change (US) page  (Read 5612 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MelloYellowSurge

  • Newbie
  • **
  • Posts: 31
  • Reputation: +1/-0
  • Gender: Female
  • Доверяй, но проверяй. (Trust, but verify.)
Issue on Name Change (US) page
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:22:51 pm »
Let me start by mentioning that I'm posting this here on account of the fact that I lack editing privileges on the wiki. Please note that the following is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer. I will be referencing my sources to the best of my ability. There are some errors and pieces of missing information in regards to the name change page as it relates to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The first half, as far as I can tell, is correct. The second half is not entirely correct for all parts of the commonwealth. I'll take these in turn.

1) The wiki mentions the Post Gazette and the Tribune Review (which are based in Pittsburgh). While postings in these newspapers would be satisfactory for residents of Allegheny County, residents of other counties must post in their local newspapers. You must post in two local newspapers and so may be required to post in a newspaper from another county. For example, if you live in Dauphin County you may decide to post your name change notice as a classified ad in the Harrisburg Patriot News. This leaves you having to find another nearby newspaper in which to post your name change notice, such as the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal. The wiki gave the impression that a posting was needed in only one local newspaper. To wave this requirement may require a meeting with the judge presiding over the case.

2) The name change petition must be submitted through the office of your county prothonotary, which is usually at your county courthouse. Your county prothonotary can be found by going to Fees do vary from county to county and you may be able to file a "petition to proceed in forma pauperis" if you're unable to pay the fees required by the court. While you can file these petitions pro se, a lawyer is advisable in terms of navigating the legal system with greater ease and expedience.

I will end this post here. Hopefully, some updates can be made to at least those two areas of the wiki post.


Offline Skyler

  • Friend
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 417
  • Reputation: +5/-0
  • Non Binary Transmasculine
Re: Issue on Name Change (US) page
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
thank you, updates will be made