Author Topic: Pantyhose V's Stockings with Garter Belt.  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Shelly Maree

Pantyhose V's Stockings with Garter Belt.
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »
Question for the girls who wear stockings with a garter belt. Currently in our little store, we like staff to wear pantyhose with knee length pencil skirt, as we have a busy retail store and feel this looks presentable  and as it is a florist so it is cool, so it also keeps our legs warm. I have never worn anything but pantyhose, and this is no problem, but I did try some thigh high stay up stockings recently and I did feel I was more comfortable around the personal area in an all day working situation. But the problem is that I can not seem to find a size that will stay up on me, I did find it annoying having to keep pulling them up. So I was thinking of trying a garter belt. My question is, are they comfortable enough for everyday wearing, or is it just something that girls have to look and feel sexy. I know I could buy one and try, but they are not cheap for what they are compared to multi-pack pantyhose.

Any feedback girls

Thanks

Offline Anne Blake

Re: Pantyhose V's Stockings with Garter Belt.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:55 pm »
My preference is bare legs as long as possible and then go to warm tights when the snow starts falling.....but when the stocking look is needed I tend toward thigh highs. There are several different hold up materials used by different manufacturers and I find the continuous silicon band works best for me. Stockings and garter belts also work well and are comfortable for my body type (long and lean) and they do stay up. They are a bit more hassle to fasten, get damaged a bit more frequently than thigh highs and are often harder to find. You may find that the garter/stocking fasteners show through some of the tighter pencil skirts, which makes them a fashion statement choice for you. If you do go for the stockings and garter belt I would recommend going with the three strap per leg garters rather than the two strap styles, I find them to hold the stockings up more evenly and feel better. I will take either thigh highs or stockings and garter over panty hose any day but I have never been able to buy into panty hose (my problem).

Anne

Offline noleen111

• Family
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:18:19 am »
I wear pantyhose or a thicker stocking (if its really cold) every day during the winter. I also work in a retail environment and we also like the staff to wear pantyhose or some stockings with a pencil skirt. In summer we go bare legged.

For me.. personally for work I wear full pantyhose.. i.e. the one that come to my waist. I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a thigh high pantyhose to work.

I do own a garter belt (which is not noticeable under a dress or skirt), with a number pairs of thigh high pantyhose. I prefer to wear these if my man takes me out at night and I want to feel sexy.

I love to wear pantyhose, I love how it feels on my legs, especially clean shaven legs.. Pantyhose was first piece of female clothing i ever wore.
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was

Offline PrincessCrystal

• Envies her avatar
  • Friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:51:10 am »
.....I read the title and can only think of the anime......

I like cute colored pantyhose, but bare legs can be nice when it's warm out...

Offline mac1

• Would like to be able to pass and live as a girl.
  • Family
  • Don't have any use or desire for those male parts.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:55:23 pm »
My choice would be bare legs when appropriate. Definitely pantyhose over stockings when that is the occasion calls for it.
?

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »
I mostly wear suspender fishnet and thigh-high silk stockings.
As I have some skin infection in my buttocks, I avoid pantyhose and long tight pants.
Garter belts look sexy, but are tricky to wear, and sometimes twisted.

I currently wear fishnet like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Leg-Avenue-Fishnet-Suspender-Pantyhose/dp/B016WXUJIG

For thigh-high silk stockings, some of those I purchased in the U.S. or from AliExpress.com, the band area is not tight enough to hold them up. I applied hand cream in the band area, but still it does not hold up well, and the stockings slipped down in a few minutes. But for some brand, the band area is well designed to hold up (e.g., Hanes).

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Jin

• Family
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:31 pm »
Thigh length stockings. Or nothing!

Maybe it is my short legs, but pantyhose come clear up to my armpits or sag around the knees. Plus they are really annoying when you have to tinkle.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.

Offline Miharu Barbie

• 8 Ball Barbie Doll
  • Friend
  • Living in Gratitude!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »
Fun question!  I too am not a fan of pantyhose.  I much prefer thigh high stockings.  In my experience, the most comfortable, utilitarian, and durable garter belt I have ever seen is model 520 made by Crepe Suzette (I have many of them).  This model of garter belt has 3 straps per leg and a nice wide band that encircles and hugs the hips for all day comfort and a nice low profile under clothes.

As far as the thigh highs that are designed to stay up with the help of a sticky silicone band, I simply cannot wear those.  By the end of the day my legs are raw and burning where the sticky silicone has been pulling on my skin all day.  If I wear them a few days in a row, I end up with raw, angry wounds on my thighs.

I have found a thigh high alternative to garter belts and to silicone banded stay ups.  There is an online hosiery store called Sock Dreams that carries a brand of opaque thigh highs made by Foot Traffic.  The model is Foot Traffic (FT) 930TH and they cost $7.  I am 5' 7" and these thigh highs reach all the way to the middle of my thighs.  They look and feel great.  And by some miracle that I cannot explain they stay up on me all day long without the aid of either sticky stuff or garters.  Last year I weighed 190 pounds, and they fit me fine.  This year I am down to 140 pounds and they still fit me fine (though they pull up a bit higher on my leg now.)  I am wearing a pair right now.  So far I have not had a pair of these thigh highs rip, snag or run on me.  They come in about 15 or more colors.  The pair I am wearing today is coffee brown.  They look good, feel good, and I've probably worn and washed them at least a dozen times or more.  Some of the colors I personally own are coffee, black, hot pink, neon red, charcoal pinstripe, green/black horizontal stripes, and purple/black horizontal stripes.  For 7 bucks I'd recommend getting a pair or 2 just in case they turn out to work for you as well as they work for me.  Indeed, I have 5 or 6 of the Crepe Suzette garter belts, but I have not worn any of them in quite some time.  I just don't feel the need with my foot traffic opaques.  (By the way, they are definitely opaque; if you need sheer stockings, these will not work for you.)

Happy shopping!

Love,
Miharu
There is NO path to happiness.  Happiness IS the path.

You are Loved!

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!

Offline barbie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 04:04:12 pm »
Just ago, I ordered the following one.

It usually costs > 7 US$ in the U.S. I like that fishnet because it is big enough for my height (6 feet) and warms my legs so well, because the fabric is thick. When I first ordered the same product (from Leg Avenue) about 10 years ago, I paid ca. US$ 30, but now it is just US$ 2-3. The delivery fee is just US$ 1.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Debra

• Princess
  • Family
  • 35F living life
    • Transitioning Past
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 04:06:24 pm »
Will they stay up with a garter belt and will it be comfortable? Yeah pretty much. The only thing I find is that the garter belt digs into my waist after wearing it all day.....its like a bra....great to take off after work.

Also make sure you get a good garter belt (with metal , not plastic clips) and get thigh-highs that don't have the extra "stay-up" silicon stuff on them ...they are much harder (even impossible at times) to clip into the belt.

I prefer: http://www.stockingirl.com for both belts and thigh-highs. They also have thigh-high tights (which are thicker and last longer) and they're the only place I've ever found that carries such a thing.

Offline Naomi71

• Friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »
I prefer black holdups, like so:

Offline Shelly Maree

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
Thanks Girls,  I went to the local lingerie store that I prefer to shop at and discussed that I wanted something comfortable for all day wearing at work under my skirt. The assistant showed me a few styles and I ended up purchasing a "Simone Perele" garter belt. The belt is high waisted and sits just above my hips. The band and leading fabric is brief as we discussed, I will want to wear under my panties for easy pee stops, hence the more brief, the more comfortable for all day ( I hope). Turned out to be an expensive trip as I puchased stockings and a new bra along with 2 new panties. I will give feed back after I wear it to work.

Thanks

Offline barbie

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:57:49 pm »
I prefer black holdups, like so:

I have a bunch of stockings like that style, but they do not stay up well. Today morning I also tried them, but they easily slipped down, going to the trash can. I think the reason is they are too short.

I have a bunch of garter belts that I have ordered from AliExpress.com at ca. US$ 1-2 each, and sometimes wear them, too.

Long silk stockings stay up well.

But, my favorite one is suspender fishnet. They are endurable, comfortable and warm.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline SadieBlake

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 08:28:41 am »
Looks like you've found what you need, Simone perelle is hard to go wrong with! I'd echo what others have said, that 3 suspenders per side is a must for daily wear and add that most of the sexy looking versions are really intended for a woman on her back, not daily wear :-(.

Also, if you're tall it's hard to find hosiery that's long enough to stay in place and not show stocking tops below the hemline. On the rare occasions I'm dressed to 'pass' I don't need that kind of fashion faux pas to be drawing more attention / negative judgement .

I haven't had a go with stockings & garter since hrt has widened my hips. I know my rock climbing harness now fits better and I'm sure the garter belt will also. It was always a problem being pulled down over my boy hips when wearing for more than a couple of hours.

Stayups / thigh highs are a workable compromise. The problem I've had there is the holding power even of silicone bands seems only good for a few wearings before they start slipping. Nothing is worse than your hosiery failing to stay up mid day, goddess forbid you be out in a place without access to some privacy to make corrections.

We've had the best luck in durability with Agent Provocateur bit of course they're spendy. Stockings from La Perla were heinously priced and dead sexy and also the fastest things to run of anything I've tried.

I'm interested if any girls have ideas on good combination of fit for tall women, durability and price?
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈

Offline Fresas con Nata

• Friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
I have a bunch of stockings like that style, but they do not stay up well. Today morning I also tried them, but they easily slipped down, going to the trash can. I think the reason is they are too short.

Have you tried It stays? Makes wonders with my bra (since I don't have boobs, I end up with the bra covering my neck unless I stick it to my skin).

Offline lostcharlie

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »
Absolutely HATE pantyhose. Old school gal here, wouldn't be caught dead out in public in a dress without nylons. Check out the website "Secrets in Lace". Great selection of garter belts made for all day wear and still sexy to look at. Best selection of real old school nylons I've found anywhere. Jessica.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:38 am »
Question for the girls who wear stockings with a garter belt.

I have worn stockings & garter belt for years, though currently wear pantyhose.  Go for a garter belt that's intended to be worn all day, not the "bedroom" types.  A decent lingerie store should be able to help here.  Also, I find a belt with 6 straps is more comfortable than 4.

Another factor in favour of stockings is they are sexier.  I do not like the trend to bare legs at all.  They look unfinished.

BTW, I also tried stay up stockings and found they didn't.

I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

JeanetteLW

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:01 am »
Thigh highs for utility and stockings and garter belt for sexy.

Hugs,
  Jeanette

Offline Shelly Maree

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »
3 Month Update
I have been wearing garter belt and stockings around 3 months now. I still mix it up a bit during the week with pantyhose (clean laundry issues), but I find I prefer the garter belt and stockings. I find them more comfortable and easier to wear. A little more time in getting dressed, but not much. They do not show through my skirt even when bending down. The ladies room is a little easier, although pantyhose are not that difficult as I usually untwist from my panties as the pee flow is happening. But I feel fresher in the downstairs area, must breathe better with out the nylon hosiery tight against my area all day, as possibly somedays I will wear hosiery for up to 12 hours. I feel as the summer months approach, I will feel fresh all day.  I have only worn for daily work, as casual wear I usually avoid hosiery, but my partner did make a tongue in check comment about wearing a garter belt for workwear.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:35 pm »
Glad to hear you like stockings.  We need more women like you.

The reason I stopped wearing them was the line of stockings I had been wearing for years was discontinued.  As my garter belts and panties were getting beat up, I just decided to go with pantyhose.  However, I still have a 6 strap black garter belt & one pair of black panties that I can wear with my black bra should the need arise.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Tags: