Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you think your country would elected a trans* person to its highest office?

Started by SailorMars1994, April 26, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorMars1994

To be honest I would say dont be suprised if a trans person wins a seat in next years Ontario provincial election. There was a woman in Vancouver who ran as a New Democrat in British Columbias May 2017 Provincial election and she lost by the smallest of margins agaisnt right wing incumbent and former Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan. The result was suprising as that seat was considered a safe seat for Sulivan and he nearly lost to a poltical unknown. In Ontario all three major party leaders, Andrea Horwath of the NDP, Premier Kathleen Wynne of the Liberals and Patrick Brown of the Progressive Conservatives have voiced strong support for LGBT citizens. I wouldnt be suprised seeing a trans candidate being nominated by any of the three parties and ending up winning.
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

Patty_M

I just can't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

For now, we have next four years of a Republican presidency and at least two years of them having control of both the Senate and the House.  They are not going to do anything to offend their religious supporters.

Pence will leave office in 2020 (I assume a Trump impeachment) leaving the ruins of his and Donald's America. Between being sworn in and 2021 you can bet on Pence trying to create a theocracy.

Based on the reactions to anything positive being said about any trans person the ignorance and sheer hatred of us runs deep.  It's not going to go away soon.  The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed more than a half century ago and we still have yahoos in the KKK and others who would gladly put segregation back into place.

In 2020 we might get a sane president.  Give him/her eight years and there will be some trans people in statewide office, possibly one or two trans people in the House.  Perhaps a governor or two. Certainly, trans Lt Governor is possible.  Personally, I would like Dan Patrick (TX Lt Gov) to be replaced by a trans woman but that isn't going to happen until Texas turns a solid blue.

The presidency?  Keep in mind that we have never had a woman take that office.  No Jews either.  The road to the Oval Office is a steep one.   

•  

Corax

If they knew the person was a transsexual? You're not talking about a stealth person but an openly transsexual person here aren't you? Then nope, not gonna happen anytime soon, no chance with most people as they don't really understand what a transsexual even is. And while I am sure that there would be some folks who would only care about the views and ideas of a hypothetical transsexual candidate and would weigh whether they'd vote for them or not based on that only, others if not still the majority would definitely make trans the factor to rule them out not because everyone was hateful but because it's too foreign and out of the norm to them, something they just can't relate to and that in consequence would make them feel uncertain and make this candidate unpredictable in their eyes, because people fear what they don't understand to a degree.

I personally would only vote for the hypothetical transsexual candidate for their politics and only if they held similar ideas and political views as I do and not just because they were born with the same condition I was that doesn't matter to me. So maybe I wouldn't vote for that candidate either if I didn't like their politics or I liked the ideas and political standpoint of one of the "cis" candidates better and thought that the "cis" candidate's politics were better for the nation.
I am really opposed to identity politics and wouldn't vote for someone merely due to such random factors that don't say anything at all and that a person was just born with.
  •  

Evienne

I don't really get into politics, but what I do know for US is we currently have the opposite right now of that progress XD
But there have been recently transgender people getting into positions of political power.
Also it took a long time but we had a black president, something that years ago seemed as impossible as a trans president seems right now, so guess it's possible.
The better question though is will we still be a country by the time that happens XD
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •  

rebeccaanne07

I love this question... I am in the Army, and have always loved politics to an extent. I want to get out, and maybe..... run for office. I have tossed around the idea of totally feminizing body, while still presenting as male. Run off all I have done, then after a year in office coming out. I just feel we need a voice, and we need people to see we are not crazy or disturbed.. I have made it 30 years, leading soldiers, I think I have the mental capacity to someday lead this country.
Love you all,

REBECCA
  •  

Rumples

The UK had Nikki Sinclair's who was an MEP. I think there's been a handful in local office.

Labour seems to be targeting every minority possible, so who knows.
Turn to page 137:
You enter the room, Rumples slowly turns to face you, tilts her head and let's out a slight smirk. Everything you were, are, and ever will be disintegrates into absolute nothingness.
Your adventure ends here.
  •  

Swedishgirl96

I actually don't believe that that will happen, at lest not in the near future, in Sweden.
We have a lot of gay and lesbian politicians and they could probably become prime minister if they got the chance.
But we don't have any trans persons in our politics. I don't know why. Maybe it will come some day.
La dolce vita
  •  

Linde

The German State of Bavaria has a member of the parliament who is openly trans MtF
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Tentacles

Hmm. Cool you have these thoughts about Canada. I live in Sweden and I'm having a hard time picturing a trans person being president. We haven't even had a woman as president yet. But I guess it's not impossible....
  •  

GingerVicki

In the US I think a closeted transman might stand a chance. A transgender woman as 1st lady maybe. Trans woman as president...I doubt I will see that in my lifetime.

p.s. I'm a healthy 40yo
  •  

dima

in Ukraine, there are no positive progress in this direction and will not be in the near future
Ukrainian society is deeply transphobic and homophobic
top-level politicians take a hypocritical position to create beautiful but fake pictures for our western friends (Europe and the USA); in essence, they do nothing to help lgbt
regional politicians openly prohibit any public manifestations and LGBT character's actions; in turn, top-level politicians pretend not to see
Recently, at all levels of power, the rhetoric to protect traditional values ​​has intensified: (I see that my country is not moving to Europe
  •  

Linde

I think that Germany could accept such a person, considering that some top politicians are openly gay. 
The law was just changed to have an official third gender (X) to be allowed on passports, driver licensees, etc.

•  

GingerVicki

I am positive that there are transgendered people living in the closet who did not do a public transition and are in places where people would not suspect. Obviously, they pass. What rank could one hold... I don't know.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2018-featured-story-archive/cia-celebrates-pride-month.html
  •  

Linde

Quote from: GingerVicki on December 16, 2018, 07:48:26 PM
I am positive that there are transgendered people living in the closet who did not do a public transition and are in places where people would not suspect. Obviously, they pass. What rank could one hold... I don't know.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2018-featured-story-archive/cia-celebrates-pride-month.html
Let's just hope that the orange comb over guy will not get a hold of this information!  If he sees that Clinton did that, he will go nuts about it!

Miss Spain is a transgender woman, and she is running in the Miss Universe contest today!

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/12/15/first-transgender-woman-to-contest-miss-universe-in-bangkok-is-from-spain/

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Dietlind on December 16, 2018, 09:34:35 PM
Let's just hope that the orange comb over guy will not get a hold of this information!  If he sees that Clinton did that, he will go nuts about it!

Miss Spain is a transgender woman, and she is running in the Miss Universe contest today!

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/12/15/first-transgender-woman-to-contest-miss-universe-in-bangkok-is-from-spain/

He can only do so much especially since the House is Blue. The US just pulled out of Yemen right. Straight burn.

But back to the topic at hand. Heck yea. That is what I am talking about. She is pretty.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on December 16, 2018, 09:34:35 PM

Really slippery slope to go down picking on people for their physical appearance. As a community, that opens us up to a lot of pushback. Orange is the recommended shade to cover beard shadow, after all.

It's also a form of body shaming. Not cool.

Attack the policies, not the person.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Devlyn on December 17, 2018, 01:36:34 AM
Really slippery slope to go down picking on people for their physical appearance. As a community, that opens us up to a lot of pushback. Orange is the recommended shade to cover beard shadow, after all.

It's also a form of body shaming. Not cool.

Attack the policies, not the person.
It's easy for you to say!  You don't have to live with him as your leader! This person does not have any policies, he just says and does what comes into his mind!

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on December 17, 2018, 09:21:27 AM
It's easy for you to say!  You don't have to live with him as your leader! This person does not have any policies, he just says and does what comes into his mind!

I'm a US citizen currently visiting the UK. President Trump is my leader, and my military training taught me that you respect the office. My maturity has taught me not to use playground bully tactics, and pick on people's appearances. My involvement with the transgender community has taught me that we live in glass houses in this regard, and shouldn't throw stones.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Devlyn on December 17, 2018, 09:29:03 AM
I'm a US citizen currently visiting the UK. President Trump is my leader, and my military training taught me that you respect the office. My maturity has taught me not to use playground bully tactics, and pick on people's appearances. My involvement with the transgender community has taught me that we live in glass houses in this regard, and shouldn't throw stones.
See, there we have a difference.  I do not have any military training, and was thus not trained to blindly follow orders of whoever considers him or herself to be the leader!

My scientific training taught me to never accept anything as given, and to question anybody and any theses.  And using these term the orange com over, I just used terms that are common place among many people, and I blend into the crowd.  If anybody makes fun of peoples disability, it is that person, and he is the one who is sitting in the glass house and is trowing stones at anybody in his way!

Anyway, you and I feel different about this, and I hope that he leaves us alone, because people like I (XXY) seem not to exist for him anyway!

•