Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

faceapp and other gender change apps

Started by Bari Jo, September 04, 2017, 04:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bari Jo

I just got turned onto this app, and am loving the result. I'm sincerely hoping that the apps result can really be achieved!  I know it's just for fun, but it gave this girl an ego boost.  Are their other apps that do this sort of thing?  What are your favorites?

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Bari Jo on September 04, 2017, 04:00:17 PM
I just got turned onto this app, and am loving the result. I'm sincerely hoping that the apps result can really be achieved!  I know it's just for fun, but it gave this girl an ego boost.  Are their other apps that do this sort of thing?  What are your favorites?

Bari Jo
I used the FaceApp for my photo here. I think it does wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Bari Jo

Alright, you talked me into it.  I made the faceapp image my profile pic too:)
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

•  

Harley Quinn

Faceapp does a better job than most of them, unless you are gifted at photo manipulation., then it's the best one in my opinion.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Roll

https://imgur.com/jm41Jpl
That is mine, I love it so much. Well, except for m stupid nose. Everyone says I never broke it, but there is no way I didn't. I even know when it happened, but people keep saying I'm crazy. (I slammed my face into the pavement when I was a kid, have a fake tooth and everything from it.)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Bari Jo

Gertrude, Roll, you both are beautiful.  Now the question is, is the app giving us false confidence, or can we achieve our looks it's HRT?  I hope it's close enough cause I think we would all be happy.

•  

Roll

After a lot of analysis and comparison, here is what I came to on the issue of "false hope" with this app... For the most part all it does is add the hair, makeup, and eyebrows, then slightly contours the jaw edge. I took another picture of myself and did some half-assed photoshopping, and came out with something not that far off though nowhere near as polished (modified eyebrows, "drew on" makeup, edited out beard stubble, added hair, etc.). In other words, at the core it is still your face.

The biggest issue that may be false hope is probably the edging of the face and jaw line, though I do believe it is feasible if you take into account FFS or a particularly good response to hormones. I guess you could consider the filter as applying some of the common HRT or surgery effects. I also base this off that in playing around with the app with other people, not revealing why I have it of course, using the male and female filters would readily turn people into flawless versions of relatives. For example my little sister with the male filter just looks identical to my father when he was around 20. When I showed my step-mother her picture with the male filter, she was confused because she thought I had a picture of her brother on my phone for some reason. So it isn't doing something that turns you into an entirely different person and does actually manage to retain some core personal genetic traits, which is a really good sign when the goal is mostly to express those genetic traits differently.

This all comes with a huge caveat however. A "glamor" shot at a good angle can be a poor representation of anyone, even not dealing with the transgender issue (ie: the basis of pretty much all modeling and Hollywood camera and lighting trickery). In other words, it is impossible to say how profiles, motion, extra features not readily visible in the photo, and so forth will play into the final presentation. (Not to mention face is just one part of the equation to begin with, though certainly an important one!)
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

rmaddy

I used FaceApp to show a friend of mine what I was planning with FFS.  Honestly though, I'm hoping the FFS works better than the app!
  •  

Roll

Quote from: rmaddy on September 04, 2017, 11:58:42 PM
I used FaceApp to show a friend of mine what I was planning with FFS.  Honestly though, I'm hoping the FFS works better than the app!

It's extremely sensitive to lighting and angle, you have to take a few pictures and find one it can read properly to get the full face change working right. (On a few of mine it just cut off the edge of my head for some reason, wouldn't add hair, or did a fishbowl distortion.)
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

rmaddy

Quote from: Roll on September 05, 2017, 12:01:05 AM
It's extremely sensitive to lighting and angle, you have to take a few pictures and find one it can read properly to get the full face change working right. (On a few of mine it just cut off the edge of my head for some reason, wouldn't add hair, or did a fishbowl distortion.)

Exactly.

My plastic surgeon's office has a software package that works something like FaceApp, but he is able to individually select and modify areas to a varying degree.  The thing that can't be changed is lighting.  You can simulate eyebrows sitting somewhat higher on your face, but not the increased lighting into the eye sockets due to work on brow bossing.

Also, my FaceApp picture tends to look fairly similar to my regular because my hair is curled/colored, my eyebrows are nicely waxed and I've gotten fairly decent with the makeup brush through daily use.
  •  

Roll

Quote from: rmaddy on September 05, 2017, 12:09:59 AM
Also, my FaceApp picture tends to look fairly similar to my regular because my hair is curled/colored, my eyebrows are nicely waxed and I've gotten fairly decent with the makeup brush through daily use.

I like hearing that because I was wondering how close to my picture I could get with some good makeup and proper eyebrows.
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

rmaddy

Quote from: Roll on September 05, 2017, 12:19:35 AM
I like hearing that because I was wondering how close to my picture I could get with some good makeup and proper eyebrows.

You can do a lot!  Get busy!
  •  

kelly_aus

•  

MeTony

Played around with face app. I will def go for a beard when it's time for that.

https://imgur.com/a/eo1JZ
  •  

MeTony

Maybe I will too put a FaceApp pic as avatar. :D

How about this pic?

https://imgur.com/a/gzpyw

I don't have a beard yet. September 28'th is my appointment with my psychiatrist. I hope she will send my letter to the gender therapist.
  •  

Bari Jo

I love it Kelly.  And go for it metonie.  I love mine too, gives me something to strive for.

•  

jill610

Oh this is a fun app! I can live with the result if it's even close.

•  

sarah1972

I had tried GenderBender a while ago, now I also tried FaceApp. On both apps I have to use pre-HRT pictures to even see much of a difference. Now with 8 month on HRT, there are barely any differences. Once my hair is long enough, I might be somewhat OK... (and it is time to get my eye brows done again)

•  

Roll

Quote from: sarah1972 on September 05, 2017, 06:12:04 AM
I had tried GenderBender a while ago, now I also tried FaceApp. On both apps I have to use pre-HRT pictures to even see much of a difference. Now with 8 month on HRT, there are barely any differences. Once my hair is long enough, I might be somewhat OK... (and it is time to get my eye brows done again)

That's awesome that you can barely see a difference, that is a huge source of hope for the accuracy of this thing!

Also, Jill, I love your smile! I'm jealous, I can't show any teeth or it looks really bad (the nose issue again mostly). (I don't think that it can do multiple filters at once, so am assuming that must be all you.)
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Bari Jo

I agree Sarah, that's awesome!  I was noticing that when I tried using pics of my sister.  She looked almost the same.

And Jill, you are a beauty for sure!

•