Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Bathrooms

Started by punky_glitter, January 27, 2018, 07:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be gender neutral bathrooms in high schools?

Yes
2 (50%)
No
1 (25%)
Maybe
1 (25%)
Maybe not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 01, 2018, 07:03:59 PM

punky_glitter

I was wondering what you guys thought because some people in high school would take advantage of a gender neutral bathroom and do inappropriate things in there but I really want to leave this open for debate! Thanks! And remember to keep in line with the rules!
He/Him
I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun
They can take your bathrooms, they can take your binders, the can take your makeup
but they can never can they ever take who you are.

You are always valid

•  

Elis

I voted yes. I think my school had the right toilet set up. They had an open room (so no doors to the toilets) with two rows of cubicles opposite each other. I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea to have closed off toilets that boys and girls can use; as boys can be rather immature.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

rainification

My school has a gender neutral washroom and it's been great, only they've locked it at times because they're afraid people will make out in them. But yeah, I totally agree, there should be gender neutral washrooms. I've had some...er, encounters in both the female and male washroom. I cut my hair in grade seven and have passed as a boy rather decently since then and I almost got a swirlie in the boy's washroom in grade eight and have gotten harassed a few times in public (not even only at school) in both the boy's and girl's washroom. It's really >-bleeped-<ty when that happens and totally unfair and I think there should not only be gender neutral washrooms in high schools but everywhere.
"Sometimes the goal isn't to not be terrified but to be terrified and keep going anyways." -Freezing Paint

Coming out to parents on 03-14-2018
  •  

Ezra_U

My school recently moved into an all new building. There are 5 floors, with an average of two gender neutral bathrooms on each floor. I was allowed to use the faculty restrooms in the old building after girls screamed when I walked into the women's restroom and received looks of disgust from the boys when I went into the men's. However, when I got to the new building, I discovered that all off the gender neutral restrooms were locked and turned into faculty restrooms.

I fought with the principal a bit about how it even says on some of the restrooms "gender neutral restroom available on ___ floor" and yet, when you got there, it was locked, but she came up with many excuses. So, I had to find teachers to open the doors for me. We ended up having a 504 meeting, which was initially for my anxiety, and they made it so I was allowed to use the faculty and nurses restrooms whenever. Unfortunately, this still meant I had to get a key card from teachers and go all the way to the 2nd floor for the nurse's.

Since its my last year at the school, I've decided not to fight much, especially when I tried to get the GSA's support and was told it wasn't a priority problem since I am the only open trans person in the school.

Having a gender neutral bathroom I think should be a requirement in schools. Maybe to avoid the possibility of "makeout sessions," cameras could be pointed at those bathroom entrances. Our school already does it for the normal restrooms.
  •  

Jailyn

I am not in high school but, I say YES!!!!
  •  

Lilly G

ok, so until I graduated, I spent my senior year with acess to A SINGLE BATHROOM in the whole thing. there were 9 openly trans people at the school and the restroom was the nurses one. im able to vote in November and am definetly hoping that there is something on this in the ballot.
Lilly, Lady of the Strawberries"Hope is like the sun, if you believe only when you can see you will never make it through the night" -Leia Organa
  •  

Lucca

I think that there should be group women's rooms, group men's rooms, and gender-neutral single rooms, with none of the gender labels actually being enforced. i.e, all are essentially gender-neutral, with gender markers just being suggestions, or dictating what sorts of facilities are inside. This way, trans people can use traditional gendered rooms if they wish, but they can also use private rooms if they don't feel comfortable or face harrassment in the traditional rooms. Likewise, any cis person who is uncomfortable with trans people (or opposite gender cis people, for that matter) using the same room as them can use the private single rooms.

It would also be a boon for anyone who simply likes privacy! Public group restrooms are a nightmare, there should be an option to avoid them anywhere you go just because they're terrible.

EDIT: Woops I realized that this was in the youth section, but I'm way too old. Is that a problem?
  •