Author Topic: Naturalization Certificate  (Read 771 times)

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
Naturalization Certificate
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:29:50 pm »
Has anybody ever changed their gender and name on a US Naturalization Certificate.

I have changed everything, passport, SS  card, medicare, Real ID drivers license, but not the certificate, because he seem to want close to $600 to do so.  But I am starting to get cold feet leaving it (it is my US "birth certificate") with the new Trump regulations coming up.  I think they would have a hard time tracing me as a transgender person if this is changed.

Has anybody ever changed this certificate?  What is involved getting it done?

Offline Meghan

Re: Naturalization Certificate
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:40:16 pm »
With all these hassle I will wait after Dotards going to prison

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline Linde

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:35:13 pm »
With all these hassle I will wait after Dotards going to prison

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
But if he puts his ideas into action that health care can be taken away from us?  I thought to make it as sound proof as a I can to make it hard to be identified as transgender.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:16 pm »
If you can, take care of it sooner than later. If I was a gambler, I’d wager he and/or pence will be with us until 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 04:04:16 pm »
Linde,

I just Googled "How to change name and gender on US naturalization document" and had multiple hits.  Some are transgender help sites.  One of those listed the form number, which I clicked.  The non-refundable charge is $410.00 for the application fee plus $85.00 if they require biometrics.  I think that means finger prints and maybe eyeball scans.  I would recommend checking all these help sites plus the US Government site for helpful hints and instructions how to fill out all the forms.  That is what I basically did to change all my documents, research, read, ask questions, fill out and submit.  with all this immigration issues right now, there are many, many respectable immigration lawyers out there, and some may include pro bono help to fill out forms correctly.  Good luck.

I still need to change my car registration, but need a copy of car title too.  Since I will make my last payment this week, I will get my title from my lender after that with no lien on it.  The other last major thing is my birth certificate in Michigan (I live in California).  They require a notarized letter from the doctor who does a gender reassignment surgery (their words).  I read that an orchiectomy should be good enough, but I am going to wait for my BA and have that doctor fill out, sign and notarize that form. 

Good luck and I agree, you may sleep better knowing that you have that corrected document in your own files all officialized.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Linde

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 08:15:55 pm »
I am still not sure whether I want to spend that many to change the certificate of naturalization.  I have the US pass port coming in my new name and gender, I have my Eu passport in my new name and gender, and currently working on to get my German birth certificate changed.
I have Social Security and medicare in my new name and gender, and really wonder how important that certificate is for me!

This is the only document that is left that does not reflect my new name and gender.  i am a citizen for 20 year now, and i have never ever been asked to present this certificate.  What is it's actual value?
I would not need any attorney to help me filling out the application for change.  I did my entire naturalization without any lawyer, as well as all the other change forms, but I question whether it is worth to spend all that money for something that is more or less decorative only?

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 09:37:53 pm »
Linde,

I didn't know that you were already a citizen.  I would keep the original just in case for whatever reason some power in authority needs backup documentation, and I am not even sure it ever will be requested. 

I wouldn't spend the money either.  However, on a side note after my ex-wife's husband died a couple of years ago, she needed a lot of old documentation on him, his first wife and herself when applying for VA benefits.  Fortunately, the VA understands about lost or unknown records, like her husband's previous marriage license and divorce court orders, which no one, not even a lawyer could find.  She was trying to be included on his benefits and needed to prove what had happened in marriage, divorce and remarriage was real.  For what its worth.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 11:07:28 pm »
The one reason I decided to update my birth certificate and probably why you might want to update your naturalization certificate is Real ID. They are in the process of updating driver licenses to be federal government ID like a passport and when they switch you from regular ID to Real ID they may want to see all the paper work. I was a little nervous that they might switch my drivers license to match my birth certificate if I didn't get it update. If your Drivers license is Real ID comparable, you probably don't have a problem and you don't need to worry about updating all your papers.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Linde

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:08:55 pm »
Linde,

I didn't know that you were already a citizen.  I would keep the original just in case for whatever reason some power in authority needs backup documentation, and I am not even sure it ever will be requested. 

I wouldn't spend the money either. 
I will hang on to the original certificate, but for me to be able to prove that I am a citizen, I have my US passport, for the case the question would ever come up.
I became a citizen way back when, because I needed security clearance for working on some military research projects (the military personnel needs to be healthy, too)

@ Dena
I am also the holder of a real ID, first as a guy, and now with my new name and gender.  When I got my first real ID, they just wanted to see my US passport, and now for the name and gender stuff, they just wanted to se the judgement and the typical physician and therapist letters, but no passport anymore.  I don't know if they could look into my security clearance stuff, and if that was enough of an insurance for everything?

Tags: