Author Topic: Things that scared you as a kid.  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Arctic Kat

• Friend
Things that scared you as a kid.
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:22:56 pm »
What were you afraid of? Anything ridiculous in hindsight?

With Halloween coming up, I started thinking about something that really disturbed me when I was little.
My family got an educational video game system, the VTech Socrates. It had a robot character that would be "assembled" in the loading screen's animation.
However -- this animation shows the robot with lifeless eyes at the beginning. (I thought it was uncanny valley material.)
Once it's complete, the robot has a big smile on its face and ... rotates its head 360 degrees.
The people at VTech probably thought they made a cute mascot, eager to teach kids basic math and vocabulary.
But dang-it -- the big beady eyes and head turn? To me as a toddler, it might as well have been Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

It took me a while to get used to it. But I still preferred playing the system with the lights turned on.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:31:14 am by Arctic Kat »
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn

Offline Dena

• Family
Re: Things that scared you as a kid.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:00:50 am »
Injection needles probably because I had surgery when I was almost 4. The other was the overacting of the wicked witch of the west in the original Wizard of Oz movie. Something about the overacting in the roll scared the daylights out of me.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Paul Muad-Dib

• Family
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 01:34:31 am »
Parents let me watch The Thing and Poltergeist when I was about 6.

Bad idea.

Offline sandrauk

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:53:13 am »
Old Mother Riley

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:59:33 am »
Spooky stories.
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:53:12 am »
We watched this movie in elementary school and I was terrified of it for months.

Offline Jin

• Family
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 11:51:50 am »
The robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still Of course, I was only 2 at the time. Oh <not allowed>, I just dated myself!

The High School bully, until I smacked him with a stack of text books. Later we dated a bit but never took it very far.

The possibility of a break down driving through the rough part of town when dressed in girly things. (honestly, this still scares me)

Losing my panties on the playground. I don't know why that bothered me, we were nudists at home.

Okra.

I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 01:29:51 pm »
The robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still Of course, I was only 2 at the time. Oh <not allowed>, I just dated myself!

The High School bully, until I smacked him with a stack of text books. Later we dated a bit but never took it very far.

The possibility of a break down driving through the rough part of town when dressed in girly things. (honestly, this still scares me)

Losing my panties on the playground. I don't know why that bothered me, we were nudists at home.

Okra.
You mean Gort?

Oh, yeah, I totally get the okra phobia.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 01:55:14 pm »
Five Million Years To Earth (US, 1967) or Quatermass And The Pit as it was known in the UK. Scared the bejabbers out of me.
Veteran, US Army

Offline MeTony

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 02:18:59 pm »
Except for being afraid of being at home... nothing really scared me. Wasps! Evil creatures.

I used to watch horror movies with my friend’s older brother when I was 10. He was 15. Nothing scared me. Nothing. Until I saw Shining. That movie still gives me the creeps. But I guess living with an instabile parent puts marks on your soul for ever.

Tony

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
Except for being afraid of being at home... nothing really scared me. Wasps! Evil creatures.

I used to watch horror movies with my friend’s older brother when I was 10. He was 15. Nothing scared me. Nothing. Until I saw Shining. That movie still gives me the creeps. But I guess living with an instabile parent puts marks on your soul for ever.

Tony
Oh, Tony, I wish I could hug you. I also wish I didn't know what you are talking about. My father was one scary dude and I did everything I could not be home when he was around.

Offline 4A-GZE

• Friend
  • Call me Evelyn
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 07:27:06 am »
My most ridiculous fear actually never went away: I can't stand seeing anything mechanical underwater. It even has a name: submechanophobia. Most sufferers are afraid of shipwrecks and whatnot, but mine is much more mundane. I can't swim anywhere near the drain in a pool, and if a fountain has exposed pipes running through it, I can't get too close. The "behind the scenes" areas at waterparks are absolute nightmare fuel.

Offline MikaelaA

• The day I can be myself is the best day of my life
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 08:28:10 am »
I went to Catholic schools all my life.  Some of the nuns were a little less than nice when dealing with the kids.  So I guess that's what I was afraid of.
Finally discovered the real ME: September 5, 2019
Started HRT: September 20, 2019
Out to my wife: October 25, 2019
Out to my closest friends and family: February 9, 2020
Out at work: July 31, 2020
1 year on HRT: September 20, 2020
Legal name change: September 29, 2020
Covid vaccinated: May 15, 2021
2 years on HRT: September 20, 2021
GCS - Dr. Bowers: May 25, 2022

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 08:50:19 am »
Not a phobia I had as a young child, but rather developed in early adulthood. I have a phobia of horses. Can't stand those critters. My father was an EMT and paramedic instructor. One time I read one of his textbooks. In the back was a glossary of injury images with captions. One particularly grisly image was that of a man who had about half of his face bitten off by a horse. I almost puked when I saw that image and never dared open that book again. I have also known several people to be stomped and injured by horses, but that facial injury sealed the deal for me. I can't be within 30 feet of a horse or I feel very nervous.

Offline 4A-GZE

• Friend
  • Call me Evelyn
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 10:24:45 am »
Not a phobia I had as a young child, but rather developed in early adulthood. I have a phobia of horses. Can't stand those critters. My father was an EMT and paramedic instructor. One time I read one of his textbooks. In the back was a glossary of injury images with captions. One particularly grisly image was that of a man who had about half of his face bitten off by a horse. I almost puked when I saw that image and never dared open that book again. I have also known several people to be stomped and injured by horses, but that facial injury sealed the deal for me. I can't be within 30 feet of a horse or I feel very nervous.

People always assume I'm a horse girl when they find out I collect unicorns, but I agree. The real things are scary. They're just so big and unsettling. I'm glad they don't actually have pointy horns.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 12:59:57 pm »
Thinking of Halloween coming up, something that terrified me as a kid was a show on TV one year, which was supposedly a real life ghost haunting documentary. I remember this vividly as it's the only thing that's made me genuinely uncomfortable and scared in that vein... well... ever. The thing is, this show was entirely faked, but they didn't tell anyone. It wasn't your standard fare of "a group of plucky amateurs with nightvision cameras who capture a few knocks and Dave the cameraman having an unexpected bottom emission." This was the full bells and whistles, with special effects and the works.

If you've seen The Conjuring 2, with their Hollywoodised version of the apparently true Enfield Haunting, in London, then when I say what they tried to do wasn't far short of this. It was called Ghostwatch, and it wasn't just me who got spooked by it. The show garnered quite a reputation.

This is a BBC news article on the show, which apparently had tragic consequences for one person. And led to a flood of complaints. I was 13 at the time, and it scared the heck out of me, and my brothers.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 01:05:07 pm »
People always assume I'm a horse girl when they find out I collect unicorns, but I agree. The real things are scary. They're just so big and unsettling. I'm glad they don't actually have pointy horns.

Oh, gosh, pointy stuff on a horse? May as well make them breathe fire too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 01:44:53 pm »
For me it would be robots and anything AI. That stuff freaks me out so bad.

I've worked around well pumps many times and for some reason I get a creepy feeling around water wells. The machinery doesn't bother me, It's the deep dark hole in the earth that gets me.

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 01:47:18 pm »
Oh, gosh, pointy stuff on a horse? May as well make them breathe fire too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it poop skittles by chance?  ;D

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
For me it would be robots and anything AI. That stuff freaks me out so bad.

I've worked around well pumps many times and for some reason I get a creepy feeling around water wells. The machinery doesn't bother me, It's the deep dark hole in the earth that gets me.

Lisa
Let's see how many nightmares we can combine in one topic...

Tags: