Author Topic: Coronavirus?  (Read 15400 times)

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
Re: Coronavirus?
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2021, 05:59:44 pm »
Do ya think one day social media will be just a memory? (Ducking for cover from the wrath of the Battle Goddess )

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk
VEX NOT THE GODDESS

The latest Neal Stephenson novel has one of the characters releasing self-replicating bots onto social media.

The bots then proceed to link to each other's accounts and everyone else's, sending endless streams of incorrect information, conspiracy theories, deepfake videos, and outright lies based on whatever they find in real users' content.

The trickle of sh*tposts grows into torrents as human users interact with it and infect their own networks. Eventually no one trusts a single thing they read on social media. It's all <poo&gt. You can't believe a word of it.

I figure this actually happened a few years ago, but most folks too dumb to have figured it out.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2021, 06:21:33 pm »

VEX NOT THE GODDESS

The latest Neal Stephenson novel has one of the characters releasing self-replicating bots onto social media.
I love his books. Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash and Reamde coming to mind. Guess I have some catching up to do in the 2 remaining days I wait for my second shot to finish baking.

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2021, 06:24:40 pm »
This last one was a hoot. Big long riff on Paradise Lost. Didn't much run out of gas towards the end, either.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #443 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:58 am »
Hope you all can get your vaccination(s) this month if you have not had them, and hang on, keep following the safe living rules.  Numbers seem to be going up again in various places - what the cause of that is up in the air.

Be safe! 

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Friend
« Reply #444 on: April 02, 2021, 04:27:12 pm »
I received the J&J vaccine.  I am still not sure about mRNA based gene therapy.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #445 on: April 03, 2021, 12:43:38 pm »
I received the J&J vaccine.  I am still not sure about mRNA based gene therapy.
Just so long as we all get one! I wouldn't have minded getting the one-shot flavor for its convenience, but I jumped on the first available like a hungry dog on a pork chop.

And now that I'm fully immune (or at least as immune as I'm like to get), I went to the movies last night.

For the first time in more than a year.

And it was freakin' excellent.

Divigel January 20 2019

• Friend
« Reply #446 on: April 03, 2021, 01:36:04 pm »
I still have 10 or so days to full effectiveness.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #447 on: April 03, 2021, 03:02:35 pm »
And this morning I went out for coffee with a buddy I hadn't seen for a year!

Ten days from now you're gonna be a much happier person. I promise.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #448 on: April 03, 2021, 03:53:03 pm »

How many days are needed?
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

• Friend
« Reply #449 on: April 03, 2021, 11:47:40 pm »
How many days are needed?

Not sure about other vaccines, but with the J&J, it is two weeks from the one and only jab to maximum effectiveness.

• Friend
« Reply #450 on: April 03, 2021, 11:49:30 pm »
My daughter, who has had Covid, lost her sense of smell.  She got the Pfizer vaccine last week, and her sense of smell came back...but everything smells like “death” and “rotten”.  She says it awful.  She doesn’t want the second jab. 

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #451 on: April 03, 2021, 11:58:15 pm »
My daughter, who has had Covid, lost her sense of smell.  She got the Pfizer vaccine last week, and her sense of smell came back...but everything smells like “death” and “rotten”.  She says it awful.  She doesn’t want the second jab.
I've heard that "smell therapy" helps some people in this situation. It's not because of the vaccine, it's part of the healing from loss of smell for certain people. Basically the person sniffs certain things and it helps retrain the mind to properly interpret what the smell receptors are sending. I think it's a long process. Good luck to her.

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

• Friend
« Reply #452 on: April 04, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »
I've heard that "smell therapy" helps some people in this situation. It's not because of the vaccine, it's part of the healing from loss of smell for certain people. Basically the person sniffs certain things and it helps retrain the mind to properly interpret what the smell receptors are sending. I think it's a long process. Good luck to her.

You are probably right.  That is what her mother told her, and her mom is a healthcare first responder.  But, given that the sense of smell returned 12 hours after she took the vaccine, in her mind it is cause and effect.  And, it would be a heck of a coincidence.  I mean, it has been months.  But, how would mRNA trigger that?  Maybe it is some sort of allergic reaction?

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #453 on: April 04, 2021, 06:02:59 pm »
You are probably right.  That is what her mother told her, and her mom is a healthcare first responder.  But, given that the sense of smell returned 12 hours after she took the vaccine, in her mind it is cause and effect.  And, it would be a heck of a coincidence.  I mean, it has been months.  But, how would mRNA trigger that?  Maybe it is some sort of allergic reaction?
Yes the vaccine probably triggered the return of her sense of smell. Statistics I've seen are that about 1/3 of Covid long haulers experience a reduction in symptoms after getting the Pfizer vaccine (1/3 no change, 1/3 worsening). But a significant number who got their smell back even without the vaccine had symptoms like your daughter's. It's unfortunate and I hope she gets back to normal before long.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #454 on: April 04, 2021, 06:12:17 pm »
Yes the vaccine probably triggered the return of her sense of smell. Statistics I've seen are that about 1/3 of Covid long haulers experience a reduction in symptoms after getting the Pfizer vaccine (1/3 no change, 1/3 worsening). But a significant number who got their smell back even without the vaccine had symptoms like your daughter's. It's unfortunate and I hope she gets back to normal before long.

Rachel, how have you been feeling? Any untoward reactions to your shot?

Divigel January 20 2019

• Friend
« Reply #455 on: April 04, 2021, 06:34:44 pm »
Rachel, how have you been feeling? Any untoward reactions to your shot?

Untoward?  No. 

Mild soreness immediately after the vaccine, which went away or wasn't noticeable at all until this morning when it was a little sore again.  Other than that, nothing at all.  And, they warn about soreness, headaches, etc..  None of that yet.  I assume if I don't feel anything after 5 days, it's not going to happen. 

So far, I'd recommend the J&J.

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #456 on: April 04, 2021, 07:16:22 pm »
I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on March 30th. So far, I have felt no side effects at all, and am perfectly healthy for someone in their mid 50's.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:26 pm »
Kidlet got shot #2 this morning!    :D :D :D

She came back sore and cranky, but that was because the cops had blocked off the highway exits into our town. Poor thing had to drive a whole extra mile to the next exit. How today's youth suffers.

She got an appointment so early because she works food service. The restaurant's owner made the curious decision to make both rounds of appointments for the entire staff on the same days. I guess everyone was a little out of sorts the day after the first round, and operations were a little creaky. I don't think i'll be ordering from them tomorrow.   :P

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #458 on: April 08, 2021, 01:41:06 pm »

Just saw a blurb on CNN about this phenomenon. There's still speculation about what the vaccine could be doing, but one thought is that long-haulers may have virus lurking somewhere in their bodies, and their immune system finally roots it out once the vaccine takes effect. Another thought is that fighting off the virus triggered some sort of autoimmune problem, and the vaccine somehow "resets" the immune system.

Here's a piece from NPR from a few days ago:

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/28/982034977/how-the-coronavirus-vaccines-affect-long-haul-covid-19-patients

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #459 on: April 19, 2021, 06:47:04 pm »
The big insight I had from this week's Sunday morning talk shows was Fauci's explanation of why we who have had our vaccinations should keep wearing masks: it's to keep the unvaccinated safe.

It's to keep us safe, too, though. No vaccine is 100% effective, and we can still catch Covid and get sick, though our chances of it are now much, much lower.

The real point is that we can be infected carriers of the virus and not feel sick at all. There is initial research that the vaccine makes it hard for us to carry the virus, but I don't think anyone takes it as conclusive yet. Controlled studies are underway.

If you are vaccinated but carrying the virus, it's a matter of common decency to still keep a mask on. Lowers your chances of passing the virus on. I read that as of yesterday, 50% of adults in the USA have had at least one shot, which is amazing, but that leaves 50% of us vulnerable to a lethal infection. I dearly want to go cough on everyone who refuses to get their shots, refuses to wear masks, refuses to social distance, and generally refuses to behave like anything but an ass in the name of some false "patriotism," but I'm not going to take it out on my local folks.

Anyone lives where they try to make trans kids illegal, you have my blessing.

Divigel January 20 2019

Tags: