Author Topic: Growing food for non-gardeners  (Read 480 times)

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
Growing food for non-gardeners
« on: June 06, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
Hi all,

I would like to have a go at growing some food, but I know that I have limited interest in maintaining a garden. I do have a garden, but if I do anything, it's going to have to be low maintenance. So I'm seeking some recommendations.

What's the best way to start? Herbs, perhaps?

Thanks, E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: started 6 Apr 2021 via GenderCare/NHS shared care
Care switched to NHS: 22 Sep 2021
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Growing food for non-gardeners
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 05:01:07 pm »
There's nothing like an herb garden right outside the kitchen door to get you interested in gardening, and cooking. Just don't plant mint directly in the ground, it's wildly invasive.
Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 05:05:30 pm »
Ellie,

I suggest that you consider an elevated garden bed (on four legs rather than the nice but more challenging prep work for raised gardens that sit atop the ground), such as a Keter brand garden bed (browse the Internet).

Easy, having far fewer weeds than traditional gardens, far fewer pests eating your veggies except perhaps for bugs.  If you get a small one, you can grow in house during the winter if you have sufficient light and space for it.  Then you will have some veggies year round.

Insofar as what you grow, it depends on what you like, your growing season, available sunlight, etc.

The raised planters are not the best for creeping plants such as watermelons, although they can grow downwards to the ground.

Indoor growing systems (such as the AeroGarden brand) you may also like.  They are small, but they seem like they would work well for herbs for sure.  I have not used any.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:51:03 pm »
I like cherry tomatoes and green beans because they keep coming a few at a time.
Mint in a raised box is easy to catch the scent.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:01:08 pm »
England grows perfect tomatoes.

Offline Tess100

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 07:26:57 pm »
Here is a web site in UK that sells heritage seeds. 

https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/heirloom-varieties

You can look at the vegetable seed section and pick out what you like to eat and give it a go.  Good luck!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 09:40:53 pm »
I grow a few herbs in large pots. I grow what I need. Sweet Basil is my favorite herb. When I need some for my next meal, I just go outside and pick off a few leaves. I also grow dill, chives, rosemary and thyme. There is nothing like fresh herbs in my soups and sauces.  ;)

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: