Author Topic: Have you eaten “unusual animals” (e.g., snakes) or roadkill?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Have you eaten “unusual animals” or roadkill?

Such as opossum, wild boar, buffalo, lion, raccoon, fox, armadillo, snake, moose, crocs, kangaroo, etc.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
Re: Have you eaten “unusual animals” (e.g., snakes) or roadkill?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 03:19:37 pm »
Great question!

I guess I always think of things like this as defined by culture. As in, what's unusual to one culture's cuisine or forbidden by their food taboos is no big thing to somebody else's.

As in, my Mamaw made great possum, and Granny loved beef heart, but they grew up eating them. Nowadays they're very hard to get. I'm fortunate to live where it's easy to find pig tails and pig feet. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's won't stock those. They do stock buffalo, but the prices! Oof!

I've eaten alligator, which isn't rare depending where you live in the USA. I've had whale, pufferfish, sea urchin, eels and any number of normal Japanese foods that are taboo in typical USA cuisine but seem pretty commonplace today (except whale, which I didn't much like. Came in a can and was prepared like cat food). Conversely, those "Rocky Mountain Oysters" probably weird lots of people out, but I just thought they were kinda meh. The pigeon I had in Shanghai was delicious. Tasted like liver. Ate it whole except for the big wing bones and the beak.

Do the bony, hoofy, offal things you get in menudo count? What about coagulated blood, like in black pudding or East Asian soups? Gizzards? Goat? Love me some goat. The other night's oxtails were fantastic, and they're so old-fashioned in the USA as to almost be like an archaism. I've had jerk oxtail in Jamaica - wonderful stuff! But oxtail still comes from cattle, so I guess maybe that doesn't count.

We've all probably eaten our shares of mystery animals in don't-ask-don't-tell stews. When it comes down to it, do you really care what's in your feijoado? If you're willing to have a bowl at all, you're ready to eat what's in it.

My best story about unusual meat was from my buddy Floriano. He was this dissipated old dude, gaunt and grey-bearded, and he told my friends and me about a drinking buddy of his, an auto mechanic. Floriano would bring a jug of wine over to the garage, and there were always stray cats skulking around, and the mechanic would always offer to cook one for Floriano.

Floriano would always decline, but the mechanic persisted, until Floriano finally calls the guy's bluff and says, "Fine. How about Saturday?" Mechanic says, "Sounds good. Saturday lunch. I'll make us some cat cacciatore."

Saturday rolls around, Floriano buys a big bottle of good wine and heads over to the garage, and there in the back is the mechanic. He's set up a nice table with a checkered tablecloth, and there's a stewpot bubbling on a little camp stove. They greet each other, Floriano sits down, and lunch is served.

It's really good chicken cacciatore.

They're chowing down, having a good time, getting blitzed on the wine, and the mechanic keeps goading Floriano about how good the cat is, and Floriano keeps playing along, agreeing how it's the best he's ever tried, easily as good as chicken cacciatore... until a creeping realization hits. A lightbulb goes off.

Floriano remembers that chicken meat is white.

This meat is red.

It really is cat!

By this time, my buddies and I are all ROFL. We could see this coming a mile away - it's just the sort of thing that happens to Floriano. Floriano is standing there, grinning, enjoying our reaction, waiting for us to settle down. Finally, one of us asks, "So then what?"

He goes, "You know, it wasn't half bad!"
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

"When going through hell, best keep moving." -- Old & Creaky

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It’s a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.
“Now make your choice.” --  my beloved Battle Goddess

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 03:47:05 pm »
I've eaten Ostrich, Kangaroo and Shark (not the fin). I guess that counts. At least, in the UK it counts as unusual, lol. I also had Fugu one time in a restaurant. Which can kill you if it isn't prepared correctly. It was a dare back when I was in the Navy. :P

Not much of a fan of Kangaroo, the meat is way too lean. Very chewy. I guess all the bouncing around contributes to that.

I've also eaten Wood Pidgeon, which... as a carnivore, is the single worst thing I've ever eaten in my life. Imagine a roast chicken, half the size, left out in the sun for a month. I almost threw up. Gamey is one thing... but this thing tasted like chicken gone bad. Not pleasant.

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 04:56:17 pm »
Having been an "outdoorsy" person for most of my life out in the American outback, I can say I have killed and eaten a variety of critters you won't find in grocery stores. Snakes and wild rabbits have been among my favorites. Let's not forget that nature also provides other foods such as puffballs, wild potatoes, onions, and garlic, sheppards purse, dandelion and other greens, etc...

I will tell you wild boar is absolutely delicious, better than store bought pork. I will also warn you to never eat skunk. I shouldn't have to explain why. 
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:33:36 pm »
Snakes and wild rabbits have been among my favorites.

Mamaw (my great-grandmother) made fried rabbit so delicious it was enough to get a little kid hooked for life. My family won't let me cook any because Daughter #1 has one for a pet. 

I mean, c'mon, man! It's not like I'm trying to eat the pet!  >:(
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It’s a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 05:43:43 pm »
Mamaw (my great-grandmother) made fried rabbit so delicious it was enough to get a little kid hooked for life. My family won't let me cook any because Daughter #1 has one for a pet. 

I mean, c'mon, man! It's not like I'm trying to eat the pet!  >:(

Lol I actually ate my pet rabbit as a kid. My granddad told me it was lamb. Back in the 80s in the UK, during the miner's strike, there was no food. So... yeah. We had a "stew" and got told my pet had ran off. Only found out years later what the truth was.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 06:46:13 pm »
I don't color too outside the lines. I've hunted deer and rabbit, so there's that. Pheasant and goose too. I've had moose and elk. I've had haggis a couple times. Outside of that, not much that's unusual, maybe shark, but to me there's not much difference between that and swordfish/tuna. It's a big fish.
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 07:44:36 pm »
Very interesting comments so far ladies!

Yes, “parts” of animals that are not typical for people to eat in a given region of the world would qualify as unusual.

Yes, plants would qualify as unusual if they are not typically on sale at the market, or simply hard to find.

I suppose insects would qualify too.

I heard that pufferfish must be cooked correctly or people can die eating them.

I look forward to more responses!

I guess my life of eating so far has been tame.  I ate some octopus, squid, and abalone but perhaps none of that is unusual.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 07:16:59 pm »
I don't color too outside the lines. I've hunted deer and rabbit, so there's that. Pheasant and goose too. I've had moose and elk. I've had haggis a couple times. Outside of that, not much that's unusual, maybe shark, but to me there's not much difference between that and swordfish/tuna. It's a big fish.

When I lived in SF, I was able to purchase shark steaks at the grocery store. They were quite delicious. I wish I could get them nowadays.

There ain't much special about deer. Around here, they're greasy. There is a number of ranches that raise bison. The meat is pretty good. We can buy gator meat in stores, at a very high premium price for farm raised gators. May as well start eating caviar at those prices.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 07:20:37 pm »
When I lived in SF, I was able to purchase shark steaks at the grocery store. They were quite delicious. I wish I could get them nowadays.

There ain't much special about deer. Around here, they're greasy. There is a number of ranches that raise bison. The meat is pretty good. We can buy gator meat in stores, at a very high premium price for farm raised gators. May as well start eating caviar at those prices.

If deer is greasy, I have to wonder what they are eating. That affects flavor a lot. My experience is with deer from NY and Colorado, the latter being mule deer. I prefer whitetail from the east. Moose is very good.
To any god or government
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 08:47:51 pm »
If deer is greasy, I have to wonder what they are eating. That affects flavor a lot. My experience is with deer from NY and Colorado, the latter being mule deer. I prefer whitetail from the east. Moose is very good.

A moose is a big animal!

Chrissy

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:59 pm »
A moose is a big animal!

Chrissy

It is. One of my sisters lived in Maine and someone hit a cow moose. Her and a neighbor split it and had 175lbs of meat each. I liked it better than deer.
To any god or government
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline Lady Grey

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 09:42:48 pm »
Snails, rabbit, mule deer, lamb, buffalo, and spam.
post op

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 02:52:33 am »
Does pigs brain count?
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 05:29:33 am »
Does pigs brain count?

Sure.

Chrissy

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 03:49:55 pm »
Does pigs brain count?

Tacos di sesos! Perfect drunkytime food!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 07:44:24 pm »
SPAM will not count though!

Gee, it has been awhile since I ate some SPAM.

Chrissy

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 02:30:29 am »
You not been on a wild spam hunt, it takes over from the haggis hunting session !!!! When I was young (a very long time ago!) we had things like stuffed heart, brawn made from a pigs head that mum bought from butchers and stuff like wild rabbit and pigeon . About the only offal you can get now is liver.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Online Haley Conner

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 08:54:04 am »
I think the weirdest thing I've eaten was sea urchin.  I did not care for it.  I do like snails and squid and bison though.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 11:07:56 am »
I suppose sashimi in general might be out of the ordinary to some people simply because it's uncooked, but it's very tasty. Ditto steak tartare.

Liver sausage to me is pretty normal, but fancy-schmancy foie gras isn't easy to find. There are laws against it in my state. Ditto horse meat. I had that once and didn't think much of it one way or another.

One Japanese food I adore is natto. A lot of people don't care for it. It's made of very small soybeans. You ferment them, and the process leaves them in a medium of this sort of slimy stuff. For all the world it looks like the output of a bad sinus infection. Tastes great - very good as a snack on a bowl of rice. You might want try it for the first time as natto-maki because it'll be rolled up inside rice and seaweed, so you won't actually see the slimy part.

Has anyone had squid jerky? Just like beef jerky, but squid. Or pork jerky? Just like beef jerky but... you know.

Lots of offal in grocery stores around here. Yum! Piggie loves us and wants us to be happy.

Tags: