Author Topic: Emotional eating help?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Rebecca28

Emotional eating help?
« on: September 05, 2021, 08:06:32 am »
Ladies,

Does anyone else struggle with emotional eating? Any advice is appreciated.

Hugs,

Rebecca

Online Chloe

• Family
  • Classic 'Lauren Bacall'
Re: Emotional eating help?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:47:44 am »
        I struggle with *smoking* . . cigarettes that is. Same "hand to mouth" thing but don't recommend that either! While i tend to just "puff puff" (on the 'lights' waste a lot?) the bad habit has become very expensive!

Doctor KNOWS surprised haven't got "the lecture" yet!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
( Current reading: Material Girls )

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 11:20:07 am »
I said this before on these forums, but I really think that any kind of eating reform / calorie reduction strategy requires logging everything you eat in some sort of diet diary. There are tons of phone apps out there where you can log all your food, like MyFitnessPal. There are also paid services like Noom. But no matter how you do it, it's hard to keep yourself accountable unless you actually track the data and see the calories that you're eating. As a first step, I would set a goal for logging everything that you eat for one week and tell yourself that just for this one week, you're going to hit your calorie goals...see how it goes and see if your mindset changes.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:36:57 pm »
Emotional eating is just another addiction/method of diversion. What makes it difficult is that you have to eat to live, while with other addictions it's theoretically possible to go without them. I've had it most of my life. Lost a ton of weight using Keto, thank you @Deborah, but during the pandemic I've gained half back, so now back on the wagon.
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline JamieH

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 06:39:52 pm »
my whole life I've used food as a crutch.  My weight has yo-yo'd over my life.  250lbs, 195lbs, up to 275, down to 210, 250ish now but I'm too scared to actually step on the scale. 

The one thing that worked the longest for me was Keto.  I lost like 75lbs in 6 months, never felt starved, and was able to stick to it, until.....  I lost the momentum when my daughter was born, because we were simultaneously selling our house, and I had just accepted a job offer to relocate from Boston to Los Angeles, a great career move.  However, way too many major life changes at once.  People constantly bringing food over after the baby.  Getting settled in a corporate apartment in LA eat breaking Keto "just this time" to convenience eat pizza or a burger and fries.  Quickly, my bad pre-keto eating habits returned.

I don't have the answer, but I think the key is taking a holistic approach to your health.  Getting any mental health help you need, going to the doctor, understanding the factual relationship between obesity and overall health, and being mindful of how and what you eat, when, and exercising, as well as making healthy sleeping habits a priority.  Feeling confident and beautiful at any weight is great, but being in denial that being significantly overweight is very unhealthy is not.  I've never felt like seeing myself at 250 in the mirror was "big and beautiful", I never liked it, and my bloodwork has never lied.  When I'm way overweight my cholesterol is up, triglycerides are up, pre diabetic etc.  Losing weight improves those numbers.  I want to see my kids grow up and get married and have families, not have a heart attack and die at 50.  I'm working hard at it now.

It all goes together.  Food diaries are a good part of mindfulness.  Note when you stress eat or emotionally eat.  See patterns emerge and then deal with them.  Intentionally choose a jog over a bowl of ice cream and then enjoy feeling good about yourself after.  Never deprive yourself tough.  Allow treats.  It's important.

I've struggled with it my whole life and am trying in earnest to adhere to this mindset now.  Seeking therapy for my gender issues is part of it, eating healthier is part of it.  Starting to exercise again.  Finally making an appointment with a primary doc and facing facts with how my blood work is probably going to come back.  Moving forward. 

Offline JamieH

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 06:41:23 pm »
Emotional eating is just another addiction/method of diversion. What makes it difficult is that you have to eat to live, while with other addictions it's theoretically possible to go without them. I've had it most of my life. Lost a ton of weight using Keto, thank you @Deborah, but during the pandemic I've gained half back, so now back on the wagon.

^This 100%.  tasty food dumps dopamine in the brain's pleasure center.  Same as a drug.  It's s form of self medicating rather than getting to the root of, and treating, the underlying problem.

Offline Myranda

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 08:23:56 am »
I have a tendency to not eat when I'm feeling emotional as my appetite tends to disappear.

In times like that I'm so glad I have  my shakes.  They give me the nutrition I need, are super easy to make and clean up and as such are minimal fuss.

Tags: