Author Topic: What an exam of ambiguous genitalia looks like  (Read 1534 times)

Offline jamie-lee

• Neighbor
What an exam of ambiguous genitalia looks like
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:51 am »
Hi

I have written on Susan's very long ago. I can't remember what I last wrote, so I will introduce my situation once again. I'm a trans guy and I've been living as a guy now for over a year 100% and came out maaany years ago. I'm not undergoing medical transition (T, surgeries). However, I have some health problems and I get them treated by an endocrinologist. I needed to go to someone trans friendly, because I have high testosterone levels and I don't want to get them reduced and apparently it's a problem for "regular" doctors   ::) as well as my genitalia.

TW: genitalia
So I got progesterone for my health issues and I said to my doctor that it gives me erection problems and that it's easy to spot an erection, because my clit is large. Then she asked me if it's a clitoris at all given the size, so I said that yes, because I pee from a completely differrent place  - which is apparently weird too. Whem I came back home, I examined the Prader scale once again and well, when you take a more detailed picture, everything became clear. I mean, I never thought I have anything else than a lagre clit tbh and didn't think much about it, it looks a little weird, but it's still a vagina, it has all the necessery components so to say. But a more detailed picture of where the uretha is placed explained a lot, because just in general I have a difficulty finding what is where in my organs when I look at those anatomy drawings and photos from the internet. I wouldn't freak out, but it's not the first time that books are inaccurate. And I think it was Prader 2 that oddly looked exactly like my organs drop in drop. So I'm like... geez, it turns out that I have some... urogenital sinus or something and that this piece of skin isn't something people usually have, I thought it's a persistent hymen or something. The labia minora also don't look very much like labia either, but I always thought it's because my erectile tissue is pretty big and stiff, tbh average FtM genitalia on T look like mine, so I thought... it's just my T. Plus there is something that resembles a prostate and functions like one.

So tomorrow I have a gynecologist appointment and I don't really know what to expect from it. I'm gonna say that my endocrinologist wants an exam of the clitoris? Of course it's a reccomended gynecologist who treats trans dudes... I'm also not sure what to expect. I have been to an gynecologist before but not with this particular issue. Usually it was more like the doctor takes a look and then inserts her finger to find the uterus or says to spread wide and looks for it visially and does an ultrasound. I have never been asessed in terms of what is going on with my clitoris or whether I have a DSD or it's "just" PCOS.

What is more odd is that apparently my androgens are ovarian, but the genital stuff never happens in PCOS, but happens in CAH, but I have like zero CAH characteristic hormones. I also have no ovarian cysts, just the ovaries are slightly large, but just slightly, so I started to wonder what the actual hell is going on. I generally look quite masculine physically, in terms of a general impression. I'm tall and have wide shoulders, have visible musculature, that kind of thing. I know it doesn't happen, but what if I have testes cells? Because the ovaries behave a lot like testes for sure, but that can happen in a variant of PCOS. Anyway, I don't get where the T is coming from then, it's unsettling.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:25:17 am by jamie-lee »

Offline jamie-lee

• Neighbor
Re: What an exam of ambiguous genitalia looks like
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:33 am »
Okay so maybe I'll say what it looked like. Apart from a regular gynecological exam, the doctor looked at the clitoris. It was unpleasant, but not too much, I suspected it to be more painful or something. Nothing else, really.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 10:02:13 pm »
Sounds mostly uneventful, J-L. At my age, that always comes with great relief!

I always thought the adrenals also produced T. Has your endo ever said anything around that?
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

"When going through hell, best keep moving." -- Old & KIA

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It is a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.
“Now make your choice.” --  my beloved Battle Goddess

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 04:39:21 am »
In college I had a girlfriend who was born with undescended testicles which were later removed, but it was some time before they realized they were even there.  She didn't have a large clitoris, but she was very strong for a woman.  She was a ballet dancer, so the extra muscle was kind of a bonus for her. 

Offline jamie-lee

• Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 05:28:10 am »
Sooo... apparently my clitoris is normal (I still think it's above average though) and everything else apparently looks normal too.

Yes, CAH is an adrenal condition and I don't have even a trace of it. So as usual, nobody knows what the cause of this all is. Apparently there is also no trace of any PCOS traits in the ovaries.

Tags: