Author Topic: Resources re: Pre-Transition Pictures  (Read 1136 times)

Offline thelittlemermaid

• Neighbor
Resources re: Pre-Transition Pictures
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:18:34 pm »
Hey all -- would anyone happen to know of any guidelines / articles from well-known resources (ideally organizations) regarding why it is completely inappropriate for a cis person to subject/asking to see/etc a trans person's pre-transition photos?

Thank you!

Offline pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
Re: Resources re: Pre-Transition Pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:40:36 pm »
Hello Thelittlemermaid

Guidelines and articles may or may not exist but I'm sure you would agree that it would be most discourteous for a cisperson to seek photos or any form of history of the transperson on grounds of respect and privacy.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 05:51:38 pm »
There are many publications from around the world, from organisations such as GLAAD, which describe how to be a transgender ally, and they nearly all include the message about not mentioning someones history. Just google ‘How to be a Trans Ally’!

Hugs,

Allie
1958 Knew I should be a girl
1961 Told my mother I was a girl
1976 told my fiance I was trans
1999 told my 2nd wife to be I was trans
2000 began being me at home
2018 Dysphoria made me seriously sick
2019 started HRT, not sick any more!
        Started electrolysis
2020 Full time, legally Me!
2021 Labiaplasty
        Divorced again and on my own

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:58:56 pm »
@thelittlemermaid
The comment replies from our members  @pamelatransuk  and  @Allie Jayne  are very correct.

If a transitioning person offers and wishes to share their pre-transition pictures that is one thing,
but asking for them is very inappropriate.

If you do any reading of the various threads here on the forums you will see that some members
do openly share about their past history and their "before and after" photos... many others do not.   
Danielle

There are many publications from around the world, from organisations such as GLAAD, which describe how to be a transgender ally, and they nearly all include the message about not mentioning someones history. Just google ‘How to be a Trans Ally’!

Hugs,

Allie
Hello Thelittlemermaid

Guidelines and articles may or may not exist but I'm sure you would agree that it would be most discourteous for a cisperson to seek photos or any form of history of the transperson on grounds of respect and privacy.

Hugs

Pamela xx
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 09:14:35 pm »
Hey all -- would anyone happen to know of any guidelines / articles from well-known resources (ideally organizations) regarding why it is completely inappropriate for a cis person to subject/asking to see/etc a trans person's pre-transition photos?

Thank you!

I am not sure that any request of this type is "completely inappropriate" to ask.

Some of us have posted our before and after photos. Go take a look at the photos posted here. I am in there somewhere.

It is really a matter of personal opinion. Some of us are stealth and others not at all or somewhere in between. If you know that someone has transitioned, I do not think that it is unreasonable to ask to see their before and after photos.

This is just my opinion. I am sure everyone else has their own opinions.

Take care.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Sinclair

• Pretty in Pink
  • Friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 10:16:32 pm »

Thank you!

I'm not sure why that subject would even come up. Unless on a dating site where someone (CIS) is talking to someone trans that they are interested in and want to see their physical history for whatever reasons I don't see that issue ever coming up. It would be like asking a cis female for boob photos before her breast augmentation. It would only be appropriate if both people are on the same page and want to share that info. I'm been in this for decades and I have no idea why that subject would even be approached. To me, anyone that would ask for that either from a trans person or a cis person would be creepy, unless both parties are willing and interested in sharing their journey, which could happen. As far as guidelines it would simply be standard professional best practices not to ask those kind of personal questions to either a trans person or a cis person. That's just just standard don't be a creep best practices. :)

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 10:25:26 pm »
@Sinclair
Dear Sinclair:
Perfectly stated and well said....
...I agree entirely.

Thank you for posting and sharing.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline JanePlain

• Just Plain Jay Please!
  • Jay
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 05:59:24 pm »

Thank you!

Ahh but what about showing a boyfriend your pre-transition pix?  I would hate to hear someone flip out over this but is that something required?  You need to see me pretransition?  In my case I can report it was really like looking at a random picture of someone I had never met.  And while its fine if that important to someone but is that a common thing and why?  Is it a test or something or do people think its something they have to share or they aren't being honest?  *Which btw I don't think it is.  Be faithful to who you are here and now not what someone else decided I think...
"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Tags: