Author Topic: First days on HRT  (Read 2183 times)

Offline NancyDrew1930

First days on HRT
« on: June 03, 2022, 08:27:28 am »
So I've finally started HRT! :icon_dance:  I had my second appointment with Connect-Clinic yesterday and the doctor said that all my blood work came back as normal, so they gave me a prescription for  Lupin-Estradiol and Cyproterone Acetate  with a follow-up appointment in early-July.  I forget what the doctor said the exact dosage of Cyproterone will be, as they were faxing the prescription in so it was on there, and when I picked up the Lupin-Estradiol the pharmacy said that the Cyproterone had to be ordered and would be in today.  So I already took an Estradiol yesterday and today and when I get my Cyproterone later today I'll take one of those as well and then tomorrow I'll take both at once.

What should I expect over the next month as my body gets adjusted to the introduction of estrogen and anti-androgen/progesterone?

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: First days on HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 10:16:04 am »
@NancyDrew1930
Dear NancyDrew:
WOW !!!!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_dance:  I am so very excited for you as you now have started HRT.
This is obviously one of the big steps in your transition journey... CONGRATULATIONS !!!  :)

You asked the following very good question in your comment:
What should I expect over the next month as my body gets adjusted to the introduction of estrogen and anti-androgen/progesterone?

To help you answer that question you should continue to read the various postings authored by others that
have shared their comments regarding HRT here on the Forums.
Also you can go to the following topic and posting which may specifically answer your questions:
                    MTF timeline for Hormone Replacement Therapy
   https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251312.msg2337372.html#msg2337372

Please know that there is not one correct answer... every body, every journey is unique but
you will certainly find lots of answers to your present and future questions as you do some more reading
around the Forums.
Feel free to keep us all updated with your progress and post any further questions, thoughts
and comments that you may have.

As of now you have not reached 15 postings so you can not yet send Forum's Private Messages,
but you can feel free to contact me at  northernstargirl@susans.org

Again, I am very excited for you as you begin your HRT regimen ....
HUGS and best wishes to you,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline JamieH

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 11:03:51 am »
Congrats!  Starting HRT is definitely exciting and a big milestone in your journey.  Buckle up, it's gonna be a wild ride :)

Patience is key.  Changes are slow and subtle.  I'm 2 months in and I haven't realized any significant physical changes yet other than a bit of tenderness under my nipples.  Emotionally, I feel different/better but it's hard to articulate.

Good luck though and I hope you keep us posted as things develop (<- no pun intended) 

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Family
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 06:46:52 pm »
So I've finally started HRT! ...
...What should I expect over the next month as my body gets adjusted to the introduction of estrogen and anti-androgen/progesterone?

During the first month, expect no physical changes. This is way, way too soon for anything to show up physically.

However, many of us do report that the emotional release of finally doing something about our condition has given us an overwhelming sense of euphoria. Speaking for myself only, after the first few doses, I felt much better than I did before. It is hard to explain, but somehow, I felt that this is the way I should have been all along.

Other people report loss of libido and physical energy, but I did not. Still others report becoming very emotional over things that did not bother them before the hormones. Everybody has their own description of what they feel after the first few doses. Sometimes this can be a profound experience.

Enjoy the ride. Take care.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 07:24:56 pm »
So I've finally started HRT! :icon_dance:  I had my second appointment with Connect-Clinic yesterday and the doctor said that all my blood work came back as normal, so they gave me a prescription for  Lupin-Estradiol and Cyproterone Acetate  with a follow-up appointment in early-July.  I forget what the doctor said the exact dosage of Cyproterone will be, as they were faxing the prescription in so it was on there, and when I picked up the Lupin-Estradiol the pharmacy said that the Cyproterone had to be ordered and would be in today.  So I already took an Estradiol yesterday and today and when I get my Cyproterone later today I'll take one of those as well and then tomorrow I'll take both at once.

Congratulations on starting HRT.  This is a big step on your journey.  Enjoy your ride.

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 10:28:15 pm »
So I got my Cyproterone today. 

And I did feel a little bit of emotional release today, since yesterday I guess I was still in shock that I was approved and I was at this point now, so after processing it for a day,  I finally was able to release a little bit of the pent up excitement.

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 02:47:35 am »
Congratulations on this very huge step !

Looking forward to updates on your journey.

Offline Brooke Renee

• West Coast Girl
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 08:29:14 am »
Congrats!  Getting the right hormones into our systems is huge, enjoy the ride. 

Brooke

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 08:36:24 am »
Enjoy your journey!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 10:14:45 pm »
Enjoy your journey!

Chrissy

Well I’m at a little hiccup in the road.  I’m looking at tomorrow being my last day on HRT for 2 weeks.  I did have an appointment to talk to the doctor about a week and a half a go, but then they cancelled, and I rescheduled for a few days later.  I had to cancel that one because work called a few hours before my appointment and needed me in ASAP due to an emergency, and at the time of my appointment I was unable to take the call because of the emergency.  So I rescheduled for the 29th of this month (earliest that was available on the website for Connect-Clinic here in Ontario) and sent an email asking if I could get a refill to cover me until the 29th.  And I even asked the pharmacy to fax a refill request.  So far I haven’t heard anything.  The secretary said that I might be able to talk to the doctor tomorrow—-but the time was 15 minutes before my shift is scheduled to start.  Hopefully I’ll hear something tomorrow!

Offline KrystalDragon

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 11:43:37 am »
So I've finally started HRT! :icon_dance:

That is awesome, Congrats to you for finding the courage inside.
Your in for an ineradicable ride of emotions feelings and accomplishments :)

1st things I notices when I stared was,
1st week Mood - was feeling better about myself
3-4 weeks in skin - temps - hot and cold seemed more intense
4-5 weeks itchy nipples
2nd month - breast tenderness
3rd month - leg hair thinning - hair on head growing

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 09:10:28 pm »
Well I just got over my little hiccup, as I got my prescription renewal today.  So I was able to get restarted on Cyproterone and Estrogen.  While I was out I did use some saw palmetto and fenugreek as well as peppermint/spearmint/tarragon tea as a weak stop-gap measure.  And I’ll be seeing my doctor next Friday.

Offline Mandy M

• Friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 12:38:26 am »
Great news Nancy! Keep us updated on your progress: it's lovely to read.

xx

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 09:41:50 pm »
Just had some more good news tonight.  I felt a bud under my right nipple!  I didn’t press too hard, don’t want to pop it (and it was only a few days ago that I noticed that my right nipple had pushed up from its depressed state. I’ve always had the left nipple, but the right has been in sort of a “cavity” or depression in the skin.) hopefully that means my left will bud soon.  But when I was putting lotion on tonight, both my nipples kind of gave me a jolt from the coldness of the lotion.  The rest of my body didn’t, but they were extra sensitive.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 10:48:32 pm »
@NancyDrew1930
Dear NancyDrew:
Very exciting news.... and as time goes on there will be many more and much more exciting times.
I, and the rest of your avid followers, will be eagerly looking for your next (exciting) updates.

Thank you for sharing and posting.

HUGS   
Danielle

Just had some more good news tonight.  I felt a bud under my right nipple!  I didn’t press too hard, don’t want to pop it (and it was only a few days ago that I noticed that my right nipple had pushed up from its depressed state. I’ve always had the left nipple, but the right has been in sort of a “cavity” or depression in the skin.) hopefully that means my left will bud soon.  But when I was putting lotion on tonight, both my nipples kind of gave me a jolt from the coldness of the lotion.  The rest of my body didn’t, but they were extra sensitive.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Family
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 08:23:31 pm »
... But when I was putting lotion on tonight, both my nipples kind of gave me a jolt from the coldness of the lotion.  The rest of my body didn’t, but they were extra sensitive.

Welcome to womanhood. We have all been there. Enjoy the ride.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 09:36:07 pm »
Thanks for the welcome to womanhood, although I'm still doing this in stealth. 

But tonight I did feel under my left breast a bud there.  I know it's a bud since for years I've had "fat" breasts because of my size, so I know what fat feels like, and what I've felt over the past couple of days is not the squishy "fat".

And for the past week in both breasts I've definitely been feeling some pain right around the area of the nipple/areola.  It hasn't been a very sharp pain like some people have said, where it can stop them in their tracks.  But the pain (and that's even too strong of a word to describe the sensation since its more like a low throb) is letting me know that they are growing!

Anyway, I see my doctor tomorrow, and while I haven't had my 3 month bloodwork yet (as I only started HRT June 2, so this is just less than 2 months), I wouldn't be surprised if, from what I've read of others, they increase my estrogen.

Offline NancyDrew1930

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 02:28:58 pm »
So I saw my doctor this afternoon.  She was very impressed at my progress, especially with my buds, considering that I've only been on hormones for 2 months.  She didn't increase my estrogen, as she wants to wait until after I get my 3 month bloodwork done and see how it comes out (and she told me that I won't need to fast for this bloodwork, as it'll allow me to get it done in quiet).

Offline damalie

• One day...
HRT First days
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 02:32:14 pm »
Remember, its not about higher estrogen levels although that does play a part.  Lower is better.  Keep it in the range low to mid for cis female.  Other wise the side effects can be undesirable.  We "want" fast results, but you are in this for the long haul, yes?  As long as the buds are slightly painful when your breasts are pushed on, then likely your breast growth is happening.  I didn't get the excruciating pain mentioned by others either.

Its about reducing the androgen (testosterone) so your body is able to respond to the estradiol.  Don't be so eager for high E numbers until the T drops to low/very low.  So says my Gynecologist and Endocrinologist.  I'm not the expert, she/they are.  On spiro 5y with E transdermal 1.5 y. my breast buds are on a down cycle at the moment.  Its happened twice, but they started back up.  According to the charts, I've maybe got another year or so of growth before they settle in to the maintenance mode that life brings.  I'm a solid B (borderline C depending on the bra) cup after 5 years of spiro and E.  I'm not so sure if I'll see more.

Congrats on the start!
My story is differently the same as yours.  Histories and tales posted here are not fiction, nobody could dream this *stuff* up.  What a book this would make!  Do you really wonder at why any of us did or did not "express" as a child...perhaps the tears streaking my cheeks at the moment tell all.

-Richelle
Sprio/HRT 2017-Present

Offline NancyDrew1930

Re: HRT First days
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 05:22:19 pm »
Remember, its not about higher estrogen levels although that does play a part.  Lower is better.  Keep it in the range low to mid for cis female.  Other wise the side effects can be undesirable.  We "want" fast results, but you are in this for the long haul, yes?  As long as the buds are slightly painful when your breasts are pushed on, then likely your breast growth is happening.  I didn't get the excruciating pain mentioned by others either.

Its about reducing the androgen (testosterone) so your body is able to respond to the estradiol.  Don't be so eager for high E numbers until the T drops to low/very low.  So says my Gynecologist and Endocrinologist.  I'm not the expert, she/they are.  On spiro 5y with E transdermal 1.5 y. my breast buds are on a down cycle at the moment.  Its happened twice, but they started back up.  According to the charts, I've maybe got another year or so of growth before they settle in to the maintenance mode that life brings.  I'm a solid B (borderline C depending on the bra) cup after 5 years of spiro and E.  I'm not so sure if I'll see more.

Congrats on the start!

During the appointment, at one point the doctor made it sound like as soon as I got my blood work done, I would be able to add a second estrogen pill.  I clarified it with her, and she meant once I had talked to her or another doctor at the Clinic.  I think the thing today is that I’m much closer to my 3 month mark, whereas if I had had my appointment a few weeks ago, they would’ve told me to go up to a second pill, since I would’ve been only at the month-and-a-half mark, and I wouldn’t be close enough to the time of my needed bloodwork.  So it’ll be interesting to see what my levels are at.

And I get what you mean about the androgens, but as I understand it, Cyproterone (which I’m on) is more effective at lowering testosterone than Spironolactone.

Tags: