Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Homosexuality Again Linked to Biological Factors

Started by LostInTime, June 26, 2006, 12:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article Link

Excerpt:

Researchers have known for years that a man's likelihood of being gay rises with the number of older biological brothers. But the new study found that the so-called "fraternal birth order effect" persists even if gay men were raised away from their biological families.

Study author Anthony F. Bogaert said the findings add to a growing body of evidence that links homosexuality to nature, not nurture.

"The research suggests that the development of sexual orientation is influenced before birth," said Bogaert, a professor of community health sciences at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
  •  

Chaunte

Its a good article.  The more solid evidence that being LGBT is hardwired and not a choice, the better our chances of success in court or in Congress.

Chaunte
  •  

tinkerbell

Great article, LostInTime.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

tinkerbell
  •  

LostInTime

You're welcome.

Please note however, that this article states that what they have observed only applied to gay males.  The same behaviour has not been observed with lesbians.  I do believe that it is still a strong argument for the LGBT community across the board though.  It will probably be years before that starts to be verified though.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Chaunte on June 26, 2006, 08:12:31 PM
The more solid evidence that being LGBT is hardwired and not a choice...

I get so confused about this...

When people say that being gay is a choice, do they mean that having gay sex is a choice performed out of a desire to be naughty or something... and that no one is literally turned on by the same sex?

Or do they mean that people can literally choose who or what turns them on? Like tomorrow I could choose to be turned on by living room sofas?

Because that'd be insane... and if they DO believe anyone can "choose" to be gay, then that means that everyone - including every religious fundamentalist - is inherently, latently gay, and merely "choosing" to indulge in heterosexuality instead.

It's a truly bizarre logic to me.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Kate on June 27, 2006, 09:45:15 AM
Or do they mean that people can literally choose who or what turns them on? Like tomorrow I could choose to be turned on by living room sofas?
Sounds like you understand to me.

Quote from: Kate on June 27, 2006, 09:45:15 AM
Because that'd be insane... and if they DO believe anyone can "choose" to be gay, then that means that everyone - including every religious fundamentalist - is inherently, latently gay, and merely "choosing" to indulge in heterosexuality instead.

It's a truly bizarre logic to me.
Exactly.

Melissa
  •