Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you play an instrument...

Started by Hannah, December 08, 2009, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah

...and does it make you feel better?

I used to be a rather accomplished pianist and knew my way around a violin...and composed music that lots of people liked. I played in a band for a while, but I couldn't really write commercial grade music so I played keyboards and wrote lyrics, while my friend composed the music and sang. The thing is, he kept dating female band members and we could never form a steady group  :eusa_snooty:

Anyway playing the piano used to really help me to feel better. I tried the other day and wow am I out of practice, and I'm thinking about using that available energy to learn the guitar instead. I quit playing the piano years ago because it dissolves my walls and barriers just as effectively as therapy and Celexa has, and at the time I needed those walls to survive.

Do you play anything? Is it rewarding for you on an emotional level or just something you do for fun?
  •  

Randi

Hi Becca,

I play guitars and sing. However, I find it very very difficult to play with any depth if I am unhappy. This bird can't sing if she isn't happy!

Having had a professional position for several years I also have times when it just feels like more work. That's when I put it down for a while and do something else-like stained glass, or go ride my motorcycle.

I have been building a small studio room in my attic for a couple of years and have just begun to put tracks into my computer. Hopefully I will have something to post online soon-if I can just get the computer in tune! To answer your question-yes it does make me happy.

Randi 8)
  •  

Janet_Girl

Does a CD player or radio count?  That is about the only thing I play.  ;D

Sorry Becca,
Hugs and Love
Janet
  •  

JodieBlonde

I've been playing bass for a while and although my professional CW days are long gone - I can still play some mean jazz and rock boxes.

It doesn't require quite the same precision as my 6-strings, and after my peripheral neuropathy, it's a blessing to play anything again.

Currently working on Santana's , Jobim's and Bugs Henderson's music - I prefer Road House Blues to most other forms. SRV gets me excited too.
  •  

Kay

What do I play?  Mostly French Horn.  But I can also play keyboards, percussion, and any brass or woodwind instrument out there.  (I used to be a music teacher.)  I know the basics of strings, guitar & banjo, but never was very good at them.
Aside from the horn though, I haven't played most of them in years.
  •  

justmeinoz

Lap Steel  and slide guitar, bass and trying to learn trumpet.  I came back to playing after a break of quite a few years.
I have a Monterey single-cone resonator acoustic and a home made electric steel. Mostly I play blues based stuff on guitar, but am trying to get into jazz bass.
I picked up a trumpet at a price that was too good to miss and am still trying to get the basics sorted.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Deanna_Renee

A bit obscure, but I (attempt) to badly play the Japanese Shakuhachi. It's an end-blown bamboo flute that attributes a great part of its history to being associated with Zen Buddhism (specifically Sui-Zen). It is touted as being one of the simplest (construction) non-percussive instrument in the world - i.e. a bamboo tube with five holes and an angled blowing edge. It is also reputed to be the most difficult/complex woodwind instruments in the world to play. And I play it rather poorly after some 20 years of lackadaisical attempts at practicing.

Actually, when I started, I played/practiced every day and had gotten almost pretty fairly kinda almost half decent - of course I had a teacher then. For the past fifteen years, I have been without a teacher and have lost almost all of the self-discipline needed to sit down and practice, so I have gotten quite pathetically ignorant of the ability to play anything but the first piece I learned. Also the music is all in Japanese notation (not that matters, I couldn't read western music notation any better).

It is a beautiful instrument and I have six of them in various sizes and styles (root-end ji-ari, root-end ji-nashi, non-root end ji-nashi, non-root end black bamboo ji-nashi, 1.8 shaku to 3.0 shaku).

Someday, I'll revisit them and start playing (my therapist has been telling me I should).
  •  

NDelible Gurl

Wow. It's been awhile but I used to play either the trumpet, treble baritone, and the saxophone in grade school. I really want to pick up piano soon. One thing I noticed in grade school about band was how many GLBT students were enrolled. If I remember correctly I think it had to do with the choice of either P.E., Band, or JROTC.

:D
  •  

rejennyrated

I wish! I sing. I am a reasonable contralto but sadly I've no one to accompany me.  :(
  •  

Ryuu

I play guitar, and was in a  band until last week. I sing, but not as much as I did before I tried recording my voice and realized how f*ing HIGH it is - I'm a first soprano. >.<
Emotional reasons? I suppose, it helps calm me down, or gear me up, depending what kind of music I'm playing. Listening to music does that too, but not to such an extent.
  •  

Laura91

I play guitar (not very well) and I do experimental noise stuff with a mic and a bunch of effects pedals.
  •  

CodyJess

I played the flute for nine years, starting in grade school. Also took up the violin for two, and was rather adept at that. I played the glockenspiel for several years with my grandfather, who helped me build one (that was awesome times, man), and am really hoping to get my hands on a small lap-harp this holiday season - something I've wanted to play since I was a little kid.

I wish I could sing. It's one of my biggest dysphorias, actually. That no matter how hard I tried, and no matter what I did, the best I could sound was like a low female tenor with a head-cold. I gave up on it years ago (shortly after being kicked out of women's choir in high school, the teacher apparently didn't feel like dealing with a lone tenor in a group of 59 sopranos).
  •  

Between Names

I play the ukulele.  :)  My dad bought me a uke for my birthday and now it's one of my favorite things to do.

Unfortunately, I'm too shy to sing...  I blame my high voice.
  •  

Shana A

I play acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo, dulcimer... I play professionally and teach, however even if I did something else for a living, I'd still play for myself. Music keeps me sane (OK, maybe not exactly sane) ;D

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Alexie

I sing :) And yes, the voice is an instrument.
I also play the piano... sort of

Alexie
"On the plains of hesitation lay the bleached bones of millions
Who at the dawn of victory sat down and waited
And in waiting died"
(George Cecil - 1923)
  •  

Natasha

i've been playing piano since i was 7.  i also play the violin.
  •  

tekla

I play the ukulele.

Wow, and you're willing to admit that in public.  Good for you.  Since it took so much for you to come out like that, here is a friend of mine who also plays the Uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1og49c0c8&feature=related#

And this guy is just awesome, playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, at Strawberry Fields, the John Lennon memorial in Central Park, NYC - let it inspire you, this guy rocks it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k&feature=related#
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Between Names

Haha!  The uke is so underrated Tekla.  ;)

And Jake!  I love Jake!  He is totally epic; one of my uke heroes.
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: tekla on December 10, 2009, 11:41:36 AM
I play the ukulele.

Wow, and you're willing to admit that in public.  Good for you.  Since it took so much for you to come out like that, here is a friend of mine who also plays the Uke.

Kat, I like your friend's song!

I forgot to list it in my list, I play a little uke too...

Jake is great!

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Randi

If my memory serves me correctly, Paul McCartney and George Harrison played uke as well.

•