Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Legal name change in ontario?

Started by Laura Emily, April 25, 2010, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Emily

I'm about to change over permanently to my new gender role and need to start changing my identification. Is anyone from Ontario aware of how I should go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Those who live life to please others, rather than live the life they please, live only to exist.  - LEV
  •  

AweSAM!

Hi Laura, I think I can help you out with some of your problems. I've been dealing with the province of Ontario concerning my birth certificate for the past few months, and today is the first time where I actually know what is going on.

Your first step, will be to download the form for an adult change of name, fill it out, and mail it to the office of the registrar general up in Thunder Bay. Pro-tip: Use Xpresspost for mailing your forms if you are concerned about missing birth certificates in the mail, or a long wait.

Step two: You will receive a form in the mail, which you have to sign and send back. The form is merely to state that you are transgendered, and that your change of name will not be published in the Ontario Gazette (I'm not sure if anybody has ever looked at that), for privacy reasons.

Step three: The waiting. As I believe Tom Petty once said, "the waiting is the hardest part".

________

My experience with the government has been interesting to say the least, and definitely longer than the eight weeks they said the certificate would take. The government charged my credit card on February 16 for the cost of changing my name, which basically meant that I was approved, and my certificate would be granted. I waited and I waited... and I waited... and I waited... and today I called the office of the registrar general to ask about the status of my new birth certificate. As it turns out, my new name was approved on April 19th, and my new certificate was printed out on the 20th. I'll be receiving it in the mail probably sometime this week.

I hope it doesn't take nearly as long to receive confirmation from the government that I'm now an organ donor.

Laura Emily

Thank you both for you replies. I appreciate it.

In Limbo...  Am I correct to assume I'll need that certificate before i can proceed with the name change at work, banks, etc?
Those who live life to please others, rather than live the life they please, live only to exist.  - LEV
  •  

AweSAM!

Yes, you need your new certificate to change everything with the banks, etc. The process can take 2 months, or like my case, around 4 :(. If you need it in the near future, it's best to get started ASAP since anything can happen.

Best of luck on getting your name change Laura! Janet Lynn has graciously provided us all some great links; but for the purpose of this, all you will need is the correct form and some common sense --> http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?OpenForm&ACT=RDR&TAB=PROFILE&ENV=WWE&NO=007-11155E

Lastly, since I forgot earlier, the Office of the Registrar General's address and toll-free help line. Contact info:

Where to mail everything:

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road, 3rd Floor
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

Useful toll-free line which I used today to check the status of seemingly forgotten application for a name change, and other contact numbers:

In Toronto 416-325-8305
Toll-free Outside Toronto 1-800-461-2156
Fax: (807) 343-7459

Hurtfulsplash

I'm glad someone posted this, I'll be moving back to Ontario when I get things sorted out and can really use this info.
  •  

lpfix2009

Ah name change, I got mine done May 2009, i actually applied April 2009 got it in May with barely any wait period. I received a pink letter in some kind of fiber paper. This was sweet. I proceeded.

To change gender marker on your DL in Ontario is a letter from your GP stating that it should be changed.

Then you can do this...

Don't mind my picture.

Next you get to do the same thing for OHIP, make sure THIS IS THE photo you want you can't retake photos like the driving bureau.

Can you see the mood change?

Now the big thing, after your name is changed and you dealt with CAMH and everything you see should be fit you get to see a letter like this...

This following photo is the papers you need to change the marker on your Birth Cert.

I am not going to show my Birth Certificate. However, look at what Ive accomplished in this field by now
  •  

Laura Emily

Good work getting that done SaraR. You've gone through Camh eh? I can't say I really cared much for their program when I read up on it...1 year before HRT? Yeah....no thanks! 2 years before I can be approved for surgery!? Why...I know who I am and what I need to be happy! Can't say I've heard much good about them either. Best of luck to you, though. It looks like you're doing well1 :)

Thanks again InLimbo... for all the info :)
  •  

lpfix2009

I got hormones through Dr. Goodhew, basically i was required 1yr only by CAMH RLE with work documents and name change to be considered

I AM FINALLY APPROVED for surggery
  •  

AweSAM!

SaraR, concerning the letter from a GP to change you gender marker, what's the deal with that? It says on the letter that surgery was performed, but you have not had GRS. Does that mean that "non-permanent" surgeries, i.e. breast implants, FFS, etc. are valid for a gender marker change?

For the OHIP card, I'll stick to my old red and white one for now... F**k, I just realized that since I changed my name, I'll have to apply for a new health card. At least when I go to get my G licence sometime in the next 2 months, no thanks to the strike, I'll have a nice new shiny licence with a new name.

lpfix2009

Get your gender marker changed at the same time, go ask a letter from your GP.

And yes BA is a hole in the system that allows you to alter your BC.

Also it's free to change your Health Card over.
  •  

AweSAM!

A BA is an interesting way to trump the system I guess, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll probably end up getting GRS before my G1 expires. Also, I don't want to jump the gun, and get implants too early, so I'll wait until at least my GRS. BTW Sara, you're looking great in your new avatar.

My G2 also has the same expiry date, yet issued in Dec. 2008.

Lachlann

Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

lpfix2009

Quote from: In Limbo... on April 28, 2010, 01:03:42 PM
A BA is an interesting way to trump the system I guess, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll probably end up getting GRS before my G1 expires. Also, I don't want to jump the gun, and get implants too early, so I'll wait until at least my GRS. BTW Sara, you're looking great in your new avatar.

My G2 also has the same expiry date, yet issued in Dec. 2008.

In order to have a major save on your insurance its better to jump the G2 gun the the G gun, i am 24 and my insurance a month is $82 from $450 which it used to be a couple of years back.

and p.s. what do you mean, I always look great ahahaahahahahahah ;) your looking great too.
  •  

AweSAM!

Lol, Sara, it's true, you always look amazing :laugh:. I'll post my colour photo from my G1 for some lulz. Truthfully, I don't look a great deal different nowadays, which is weird, because that was on my 16th birthday, and I am 19 in just over a month.

If I own a car by the time I'm 25, I'd be glad to be saving on insurance, since by then I'll beyond doubt have had GRS, so no doubt I'd be saving on insurance. Having an M on your licence is a sure way to raise your insurance rates.

lpfix2009

Well what I was mentioning is get your GP to write you a letter to change your gender marker on your license, they will do that for Free, weither or not G1 or whatever.

Your in Toronto? That's cool, maybe we can grab something to eat or a drink somewhere next time I go down. I always am in Toronto for different things.

Did you start with CAMH yet? If not I would start right away since you got your name change (its the most important thing)
  •  

AweSAM!

I haven't had any 'transsexual surgery', so I think the gender change is out of the question for now, no matter how badly I would like it. I'm pretty central in Toronto, so just send me a pm, I'd be happy to meet up with you when you come in, now that university is done, and I can get out of London ASAP tomorrow.

I'm not dealing with CAMH, but rather through a private therapist. I was cautioned about CAMH, so I'm treading carefully. Plus, I got my HRT recommendation letter after 4 months of once weekly therapy (I could have asked earlier, but I was so nervous since he has never had a trans patient).

If you don't mind me asking Sara; how did you get started with Dr. Goodhew? A referral through your GP, CAMH or some other way?

_____

Side note, it seems I have permanently misplaced my old health card and immunization record... how convenient?

lpfix2009

Camh was really fun for me, i went through it, and blasted the experience like no tomorrow. People are just scared because the past... things have changed + Maxine is the psychiatrist evaluating you and the head psy is Teena Wilkie now (pretty), and Dr. Dickie is still the one who signs the surgery grant in the end.

But your still miss understanding me missssssy, You can get a letter from your GP stating you should change your gender marker as nothing to do with transsexual surgery.

Read this LINK carefully http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/genderchange.shtml

The Ministry will review the application to ensure that the documents meet MTO's requirements and are in order.

* Full surgery is not required as a condition for sex designation changes.

All you need is a simple letter head.. Dr. Goodhew wrote me one in 2 seconds... that's all you need, very very very painless, way painless then filing out paperwork for a name change.

Quote from: In Limbo... on April 28, 2010, 03:32:32 PM
I haven't had any 'transsexual surgery', so I think the gender change is out of the question fro now, no matter how badly I would like it. I'm pretty central in Toronto, so just send me a pm, I'd be happy to meet up with you when you come in, now that university is done, and I can get out of London ASAP tomorrow.

I'm not dealing with CAMH, but rather through a private therapist at the Hincks-Dellcrest institute near Maitland and Church streets. I was cautioned about CAMH, so I'm treading carefully. Plus, I got my HRT recommendation letter after 4 months of DIY meds, and 3 months of once weekly therapy.
  •  

AweSAM!

Sorry Sara, I didn't pick up on the not needing surgery thing, I just sort of assumed surgery was needed after seeing your pic of the form for the Vital Statistics Amendment Act. Trust me, I'm not completely inept :). Now I understand! Great link.

lpfix2009

Yeah its the easiest to do in Ontario, because all you need is a single paragraph saying your doctor says it should be changed.

Post Merge: May 03, 2010, 08:44:41 PM

Also, if your not close to Toronto, usually OHIP is good for giving you a grant wether or not you make a lot of money. It's based on since im forced to go to Toronto they pay.

•