Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Goth Style Tips for Petite Guys

Started by Tom, November 10, 2010, 02:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So I'm not really sure where this belongs but I thought I could start here and if it gets moved, I'll know for later.

But before I started transitioning, I dressed goth for about four or so years. In time, I realized I was doing it to draw attention from the fact that I was female because from what I went through, I learned being "goth" sort of separated you from "traditional gender". But as much as this is fact for me, I do admit that I love the goth style and all the different things you can do with it, how otherworldly it is. X)

But for me, since I'm pre-T and all that jazz, I usually pass only as a fourteen or fifteen year old boy which is fine and I'm patient but I'm still working on gaining some self-confidence. So I've been really unsure about dressing goth and haven't taken it up. Mostly because I'm afraid of coming off as only a girl, especially since I have absolutely no clue what a goth guy should be aware of and what he should wear. Especially since my frame is smaller and I know that in the goth style, you body type also chooses your style. Because for example, if I wear a collar, a shirt, baggy jeans, chains and a spiked leather bracelet, I think I look like a dork since I'm so small and I look so young. (On a side note, at work the other day someone told me I look like I'm 10 DX lol)

So I guess what I'm looking for is some tips for smaller guys when dressing goth. BUT I do understand that the goth style sort of blends the genders and the some guys, though they could be "manly" if you will, may look somewhat feminine but in the goth sense. Does that make sense? I assume other people who know of the style or dress it will know what I mean lol. Any advice is good, you can take a look at the pics I do have. My most recent bunch is in my post "UPDATE". Thanks! ^^
なんくるないさ。
Live through today for the sake of tomorrow.
  •  

ilanthefirst

I also went through a goth phase when I was coming to terms with being differently-gendered, although I very much denied that I was goth at the time.  My only suggestion is to not wear your clothes very baggy.  I'm told that when I do this, it just makes me look smaller.  Maybe take advantage of the fact that skinny jeans are in style and available everywhere right now.  The pictures in your post make it look like you have pretty sizable hips, so if you do try skinny jeans, definitely take advantage of the tips in this post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,84181.msg595308.html
  •  

Tom

Thanks, that's all very good info. ^^
なんくるないさ。
  •  

xAndrewx

Surprisingly some goth clothes can give the illusion of being a larger guy to those who are smaller. Now, I'm a big guy but back when I was only a little over 120 lbs and looked like I was 12 they helped me pass the best.

Some tips: Longer cuff bracelets like below can distract from smaller wrists
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Accessories/Jewelry/Watches/Vintage-Ink-Wide-Skull-Cuff-Watch-188784.jsp

As far as collars sometimes the medium width ones work better than the thick ones to look more masculine. It's all about what you want to look best. So many different styles to chose from. Goth ties and wallet chains can distract from the chest and hips too. Are you still pre-T? You pass pretty well and hopefully you don't take this the wrong way but you remind me of the guy who played Mark in Home Improvement, Taran Noah Smith

ilanthefirst

Quote from: Michael Alexander on November 10, 2010, 03:00:50 PM
Some tips: Longer cuff bracelets like below can distract from smaller wrists
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Accessories/Jewelry/Watches/Vintage-Ink-Wide-Skull-Cuff-Watch-188784.jsp
If you have really unusually, teeny, tiny wrists like mine, I think it's better to avoid any big bracelets/watches/cuffs, because they'll make your hands and wrists look even smaller. . .
  •  

xAndrewx

Ilan, you're right. I think it just depends on the guy. I also have incredibly small wrists and hands but wear cuffs similar to that and for me I've been told it makes them less obvious. I only know this because I used to wear them just about every day and one of the days I didn't everyone commented on how small my wrists were.

Tom

On a first note, that watch-band is freakin' amazing. LOL If I were to buy that at the goth store near my place, it would be like three times that price. XP But year, for me, if I wear wider bands, it makes my wrists look less small. So I generally wear medium to wider. But I don't wear ones with larger spikes or lots of added parts because then my wrists look small.

So I decided to just add some goth accessories to what I was wearing and took some pics. I'd consider this "light goth" in comparison to what I have worn:

Basically, I'm wearing a belt with chains attached, a thinner with small spike leather choker, a leather bracelet with studs, a chain with a dragon ring at it's end. I tend to wear darker clothes to adding these to what I was wearing was fine. X) Comments?
なんくるないさ。
  •  

Nikolai_S

Looks good to me, definitely doesn't hinder passing at any rate. The collar looks the right size, though I think you could handle something a little bulkier too. Do you have combat boots? I love mine - in appearance they're a bit feminine but they give me about two inches without seeming an obvious attempt to be taller. They make me feel all kick-ass too, and that confidence helps me look taller and more masculine.
  •  

Tom

Oh well I do have some epicly awesome goth boots...from when I worked at the previously stated goth store and I got them half off. ^^ I love them and feel kickass wearing them I'm just not too sure if it's a little feminine or not quite right.

Here:

I don't know if you can see them too well while I'm wearing them but I freakin' love me, it adds like 4-5" haha. XD
なんくるないさ。
  •  

Nathan.

They look a little feminine to me in the first pic of them but not too much.

I wear new rocks as they are pretty masculine.
  •  

meh

Goth boys wear skirts and make up. I wouldn't worry if something looks "too feminine".  If you like it wear it.

I would avoid baggy clothes. It tends to make you look like a "mall goth kiddie" if you know what I mean.

Skinny jeans are a must. Plus platform boots.

I love skinny petite goth boys. HNNNNG.
  •  

Tom

Haha thanks, I'll keep that in mind. X)
なんくるないさ。
  •  

ThenWeWereFlying

If you wanted to stay masculine and wear a skirt as a goth, I'd go with a kilt. Ahaha.
In all seriousness, though, I do agree with Shay. It is entirely possibly to wear what you like and still look masculine. If it suits you, people are more likely to percieve you however you percieve yourself.

I just find this as a stylized/personal choice, but I find that spiking hair up can lead to lengthening of the face/attention to high cheekbones.

Also, if you wanna be goth but male, a masculine coat with a wide-shouldered effect might help, like

http://www.the-black-angel.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&gclid=CIGg7tDeoaUCFdV95QodjR3PHQ

Or

http://www.the-black-angel.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&gclid=CIGg7tDeoaUCFdV95QodjR3PHQ

I also love goth clothes, but crap, they're so expensive. :/

And your boots are something I would have killed for for the first fourteen years of my life. Ahaha.
  •  

Tom

Oh I have the jacket covered.  >:-) Haha, I do love it dearly. I plan rebuilding my gothic wardrobe slowly each pay cheque. But you are right, if I am comfortable with how I perceive myself, others will see me the same way. :)

Gothic wear can be cheaper than you think if you do it right. My one bonus was that I worked at a gothic store for awhile so I got things half off haha. But it's easier regardless. You can just buy clothes from regular stores. Just buy them in darker combinations with different layers. You can do things to them too if you like such as tearing them, cutting them or adding stitching or patching. Nothing complex. I find layers help. If you do it slowly, chains, belts, leather chokers and bracelets can be rather inexpensive. A good choker for me was $30 and a bracelet was $20. The belt was $25 and so were the chains. Leather boots can even be bought from somewhere like Payless. They always have random goodies. Accessories that help are random necklaces with random things such as mine which is a chain with a larger dragon ring or for instance I also have skeletal hand on another. Fishnet gloves or shirts help too, adding the layer affect.

But don't rush lol or that's where the loss of money may be a problem lol Hope this was helpful. Also I'll upload pics of my jacket later. X)
なんくるないさ。
  •  

GothTranzboi

There are a lot of things you can go to and a bunch of online shops that are way cheaper then stores H and M used to have some really cool jackets. I don't know if they still do. I haven't shopped there in awhile if you want the links Just message me.
  •  

GentlemanRDP

Holy hell, I have those same boots!
They look better on you though,
They just make me look like a lumbering fool x___X;

Also...Found you, VK ;]
You can't hide from me, not with that user-pic.
  •  

Nemo

Came across this a while back when I had the same question: http://www.hotgothicstuff.com/gothic-guys.shtml

My goth style's different though - I'm more the romantic type, although I can alternate where necessary ^_^ But yeah - clothes can be expensive. Mind you, depends what you can find on ebay...... ;)

New blog in progress - when I conquer my writer's block :P
  •  

RomanAlexander

There are some really great passing tips on here for goth folk like myself who want to pass as male. But does anyone have any tips for someone who's more inclined to the romantic goth style? ie something with more Victorian/vingate undertones? The edgier industrial goth and punk look can obviously help to butch someone up a little bit, but I was wondering if anybody on here had any tips for someone like me?
  •  

meh

Quote from: RomanAlexander on July 19, 2011, 07:47:54 PM
There are some really great passing tips on here for goth folk like myself who want to pass as male. But does anyone have any tips for someone who's more inclined to the romantic goth style? ie something with more Victorian/vingate undertones? The edgier industrial goth and punk look can obviously help to butch someone up a little bit, but I was wondering if anybody on here had any tips for someone like me?

I would ask Joji, he's awesome w/ trad goth and dandy styles. http://www.youtube.com/user/KINGgutterface
  •  

RomanAlexander

I love Joji! I watch his vids on youtube all the time, although he hasn't updated much recently. Thanks, idk why I never thought of him.
  •