Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What's with the recent spate of transphobic news articles?

Started by Hazumu, February 06, 2007, 10:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazumu

I'm getting a little [lot] concerned here.  It seems like recently, within the past month or so, there is an uptick in the number of news articles and blogs posted here and in other places that show a heightened antipathy towards us transgendereds -- there's plenty of willful-appearing misinformation and aggressive language.  And I don't like the ever-more-frequent use of the phrase 'shove it ['deviant lifestyle'] down our throats'.

I may be overly sensitive, but I'm beginning to feel that, for those who know I'm trans and object, merely being myself is seen as "shoving".

Am I just being over sensitive, or paranoid, or is there really something to this feeling?  And if it is so, why the recent rise?  What caused it?

Or am I just being 'chicken little'?

Karen
  •  

Cindi Jones

Well.... there's an election coming up in TWO freakin years.  You know... they need to get prepared early....   <big conspiracy going on here?>  Right.

I don't see any trends worth worrying about Karen.  Its just how it flows in methinks.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tinkerbell

Well, I think it has to do with the recent approved laws in different parts of the country which prohibit discrimination against TG people.  I wouldn't be surprised to know that as new transgender-inclusive non-discrimination laws are implemented , religious groups, some government officials and other individuals who share the same kind of views and bigotry towards transsexuals will emerge as well.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

kaelin

Republicans and their ilk don't really have any other issue to rally their base around.  The Iraq fiasco is so thoroughly trouncing them that they want to emotionally manipulate citizens in order to get their approval rating back to 40% or so -- sexuality is the one thing that seems to be most reliable in pulling themselves back to a certain approval level.  If we're lucky, moderate conservatives will wake up and realize how absurd this hate is.

I'm not trying to promote the Democrats or anything here, but it is ultimately the GOP that keeps bashing anyone that doesn't fit their narrow definitions of sex, gender, and marriage partner.
  •  

gennee

The visible we become, the more transphobic acts will be committed toward us. It comes with the territory when a people assert themselves. It's been done throughout civilization. We just have to be strong and not shrink back.

Gennee

Quote from: Kaelin on February 06, 2007, 11:09:46 PM
Republicans and their ilk don't really have any other issue to rally their base around.  The Iraq fiasco is so thoroughly trouncing them that they want to emotionally manipulate citizens in order to get their approval rating back to 40% or so -- sexuality is the one thing that seems to be most reliable in pulling themselves back to a certain approval level.  If we're lucky, moderate conservatives will wake up and realize how absurd this hate is.

I'm not trying to promote the Democrats or anything here, but it is ultimately the GOP that keeps bashing anyone that doesn't fit their narrow definitions of sex, gender, and marriage partner.

There are many people in leadership positions who have no clue as to what transgender is. This goes for politicians, prison officials, teachers, clergy, medical personnel, attorneys, and on and on. We need to tell our own stories rather letting someone else do it for us. I have been out dressed many times because I beleive that the public needs to see that we are normal people who expresses themselves from the norm. There needs to be some cross cultural education regarding transgender and trans issues. I can see myself invlved in this because I am concerned about our well being and progress.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •