Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I am a political activist

Started by togetherwecan, February 05, 2007, 09:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togetherwecan

I hope my politics mesh well here. I have fought the fight so many times. I just got back from DC last week. It was amazing. I do a lot of work on a political message board and am spending a lot of time now understanding the issues I have been lapse in addressing. I have always fought for civil rights as a whole and not necessarily dissected them down to individual issues. That will change now that I have Brooke. I hope that my strength as an activist will find a home with all of you here.
  •  

gennee

While I'm not an activist, I'm trying to do my share to help the the trans cause. I am a crossdresser who goes out fairly often to try and educate the public about us as a group. I have become involved with American Veterans for Equal Rights. I wish to see the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy repealed. At present, I am looking for something else to involve myself.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Brianna

I am both a liberal activist and a DC native. I think this is just fabulous. If you ever want to talk activism, I am on it like a bonnet, spacekat. :)

Brilala
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: Brianna on February 05, 2007, 03:30:24 PM
I am both a liberal activist and a DC native. I think this is just fabulous. If you ever want to talk activism, I am on it like a bonnet, spacekat. :)

Brilala

hehe I just knew you and I were gonna be friends! WOOT! I just got back from DC. I was at the big march on the 27th. It was awesome. My 3rd time there. I was also in NY for the 911 anni. I  organize a lot of events and stuff, but am not affiliated with the orgs.
Quote from: gennee on February 05, 2007, 03:18:01 PM
While I'm not an activist, I'm trying to do my share to help the the trans cause. I am a crossdresser who goes out fairly often to try and educate the public about us as a group. I have become involved with American Veterans for Equal Rights. I wish to see the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy repealed. At present, I am looking for something else to involve myself.

Gennee

What other issues in politics are you interested in and maybe I can help get ya started? We have much work to do.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Together,

You'll feel right at home here.  I too have a "mouth" that just won't shut up. 

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: Cindi Jones on February 05, 2007, 07:12:14 PM
Together,

You'll feel right at home here.  I too have a "mouth" that just won't shut up. 

Cindi

hehe YAY! A new internet home for me. You have everything I need here and soon Brooke will be here too.
Thank you ALL very much, truly.
  •  

kaelin

I really need to get off the pine and get active.  It seems that something always goes wrong: viable organizations are not very common where I live *and* stand for the values I actually want to support.  The University ones I aligned with are so fragile that they turn to stone within a few months.

Oh well, I'll try to bounce back in March once I get in control of my studies and duties...
  •  

togetherwecan

he he I know Brooke is laughing at me now...I really AM like a this activist person a lot of people *might* know. I can't be me til she can be she. I KNOW you can all understand that. When she is readyfor me to be "out" I shall, for her, even tho it may not be the right thing...
Quote from: Kaelin on February 05, 2007, 11:45:05 PM
I really need to get off the pine and get active.  It seems that something always goes wrong: viable organizations are not very common where I live *and* stand for the values I actually want to support.  The University ones I aligned with are so fragile that they turn to stone within a few months.

Oh well, I'll try to bounce back in March once I get in control of my studies and duties...
Politics and activism have lil to do with the now...and as you r thinking along these lines think of the next admin...and what it CAN mean...to YOU
  •  

gennee

Quote from: togetherwecan on February 05, 2007, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: Brianna on February 05, 2007, 03:30:24 PM

Brilala

hehe I just knew you and I were gonna be friends! WOOT! I just got back from DC. I was at the big march on the 27th. It was awesome. My 3rd time there. I was also in NY for the 911 anni. I  organize a lot of events and stuff, but am not affiliated with the orgs.
Quote from: gennee on February 05, 2007, 03:18:01 PM

Gennee

What other issues in politics are you interested in and maybe I can help get ya started? We have much work to do.

I'm still looking at different issues at the present time.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

katia

i suppose  i am. there's a phrase that goes something like; [all politics is local]. i write letters to the editor of my local newspaper on politics. i don't know how many minds i've changed, if any. but, yeah, i'd say i'm a bit of an activist. the law isn't a mental barrier imo, it's a way to keep [peace] and safety  ::). my stress is idiotic people. i rebel against stupidity and willful ignorance.  ;)
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: Katia on February 07, 2007, 06:02:13 PM
i suppose  i am. there's a phrase that goes something like; [all politics is local]. i write letters to the editor of my local newspaper on politics. i don't know how many minds i've changed, if any. but, yeah, i'd say i'm a bit of an activist. the law isn't a mental barrier imo, it's a way to keep [peace] and safety  ::). my stress is idiotic people. i rebel against stupidity and willful ignorance.  ;)

me too. the more activists the merrier!

Anyone have any plans to take part in the Iraq War anniversay protetsts coming up?
  •  

Steph

I'm not really an activist however through several speaking engagements over the past few years to several organizations, I have championed our cause/plight.  With Gill, I/we am very active in our local LGBT organization to a degree.  The question of being stealth or how out in the public I want to be often dictates how active I am.  Granted we are fortunate in Canada not to suffer as those in the U.S.A apparently do.

Steph
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: Steph on February 07, 2007, 06:22:01 PM
I'm not really an activist however through several speaking engagements over the past few years to several organizations, I have championed our cause/plight.  With Gill, I/we am very active in our local LGBT organization to a degree.  The question of being stealth or how out in the public I want to be often dictates how active I am.  Granted we are fortunate in Canada not to suffer as those in the U.S.A apparently do.

Steph

Me and my oldest daughter do some LGBT activism stuff together. I usually zero in on civil rights as a whole. I also am totally against the lies of the Iraq war and get out there any time I can.
Being in the states I have to do my part. I feel it as a duty.
Since you have the forums already I am trying to provide activist resources for you all here. There is a lot available to help, from just understanding the legislation to who to go to with what.
I have added media contacts and how to approach them, supreme court data base links for court cases for reference as well as federal judge voting records. There are how to's now for most forms of activism and regardless of whether our politics agree, most resources can be used for all parties.
I hope this helps ya all with whatever ya wanna fight for out there!

Together in the struggle of this thing we call life. *hugs*
  •