Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

For Trans Women: Healthy Fat or Super Athletic

Started by MsVeggieMonster, January 18, 2011, 11:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsVeggieMonster

What do you all think about these two fitness plans, in relation to crafting a feminine, attractive body:

1) Being in shape and doing lower-body weight training, but eating super healthy fats (NOT sugar, like nuts and avocados and things) that are more likely to distribute equally and not just go to the stomach.  BMI in the higher end but healthy range.  I am not sure if you can control where it goes; I have definitely read studies that sugar goes to your stomach but that might also happen with healthy fats if you're genetically predisposed to store it there.

vs.

2) Doing a lot of cardio and being mostly 'thin' (but healthy/athletic), then using weight training to build up lower body (espcially butt and hip muscles).  BMI in the lower healthy range.

I'm mostly at #2 right now and can't decide if I should keep it up or try to spread some more fat around.

•  

CaitJ

Neither. I walk a lot (but otherwise do no exercise) and eat whatever I like.
Consequently, I have an amazingly feminine shape.
  •  

VeryGnawty

I also agree with neither.  You don't have to be rail skinny to be athletic.  Personally, I'd rather have feminine fat and be athletic at the same time.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

babykittenful

I think that what you should aim for the most is "being healthy".

One of the most important aspect of fitness is cardio-respiratory endurance, which basically tell you about how you heart and lungs are competent at sending oxygen to your body. Unless you have a serious weight problem, I personally think you should focus your exercises on this aspect of your health before focusing on "being thin".

If you are taking hormones, they are the one that will be responsible for fat redistribution. But for the fat to be redistributed, there as to be fat to redistribute! Fat is created as a way of storing unused calories from the food you eat. Where the fat goes is really more a matter of hormones then a matter of food choice, so the best is to know how your body react to your current hormone cocktail. On the part of muscle exercising, I think that concentration on bottom exercises might be a good idea, particularly if you are not on hormones and therefore risk having lots of muscle growth if you exercise top muscles.

But in the end, I think what should be the most decisive factor in choosing a physical is how good you feel doing it! Choosing a sport that you like is the best way the develop a positive attitude toward working out and being in your best shape!
  •  

MsVeggieMonster

Thanks babykittful, I definitely agree with you about being healthy!  I'm in pretty good shape already already and just trying to mix things up.  I've been on hormones for about 3 years but have been pretty skinny the whole time so I am pretty curious where a bit extra healthy weight will go.

Do you have any sport recommendations?  That have lots of cardio?  And are easy to learn? I never played any in high school and it seems like all the other adults have already been playing forever!

•  

babykittenful

Well, whatever sport interest you is an interesting candidate. There is such a wide variety of sports that I'm pretty sure you'll find something that fits your needs! I personally practice martial arts, which is a very good cardio-respiratory activity. Of course, you have a lot of other options. Gyms usually offer lots of group activity for free when you subscribe to them, and most of these activities are specifically aimed at being cardio, like aerobic dance, for example. Actually, any kind of dancing is a good way to get you moving too! It's liberating to dance and it really scores high when wanting to feel feminine! This might be good time to learn a dance that you've always wanted to try (be it hip hop, ballet or tango!).

If you really want a sport that have a high level of cardio implied, (I got my old fitness book out for you) there are the triathlon's jogging, swimming and biking which are sure to do a very good job. You can add to this list rollerblading and cross-country skiing as they also score very high. If this feels like it is too solitary, you can also engage in any amateur league of team sport such as hockey, basketball, baseball... anything that might catch your interest. If you are worried about "not being good enough", just make sure to find a class that is friendly to beginners. Even the best at their sports have been beginners when they started practicing it. Practice is the key to become good in anything!

In the end, the most important factor is that you find a sport that feels right to you. Even sports which are not very cardio like yoga, walking, badminton or tennis are good as long as they get you moving! I have personally tried yoga and was surprised at how the hearth gets pumping after a couple sun salutation and when practicing hard postures. Yoga is also a great sport if you care a lot about keeping a feminine silhouette because while gaining significant endurance, you rarely notice any beefing up in the muscle mass associated with it's regular practice. Same goes for Pilates.

On the issue of your body shape, when you say you are skinny, do you mean underweight? It could be a good thing to take your BMI to see where you are situated. Of course, it isn't the most accurate tool ever designed, but it can give a good idea of what kind weight you should aim for. Methods for calculating your BMI are all over google, shouldn't be hard to find. If you find out that you are underweight, perhaps it would be a good thing to consider eating more healthy calorie rich food, particularly if you plan on starting a very calorie consuming new physical activity.

If you are simply thin and wish to achieve a more feminine shape by gaining some fat reserves, you shouldn't feel bad about trying to achieve that goal, as long as you stay within the healthy range and make sure that you live an active lifestyle, there is no problem with gaining some body fat. However, if it's hard for you to do so, remember that everyone is different and that any body type can be just as feminine as the other. Many girls would probably dream of being "skinny". The most important thing you should focus on is on being and staying healthy and, even more importantly, having fun doing it!
  •  

VeryGnawty

Ugh, I can't stand being skinny.  I feel like I am all bones.

As far as exercise, I play disc golf.  There is a lot of walking.  The skill required to play also satisfies my competitive side.

Cycling is good, but I need to get new valve caps for my tires.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Julie Marie

As far as working out, that depends on your body type.  If you're mostly mesomorph you'll end up with a lot of upper body muscle mass.  If you're ectomorph, it won't matter much.  Endomorphs already have a more feminine physique so they should stay away from the fat focused plans.

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

MsVeggieMonster

I think I'm probably ecto.  It won't make a ton of difference but I'm hoping it will help some, I'm still going to stay within healthy BMI too so it won't be a big difference.  Just curious, thanks for the enlightening responses! 
  •  

Princess Rachel

for me running and cycling don't really help me burn off the calories, swimming would be the best exercise but I'm uncomfortable using a public changing room while I'm still pre-op (loo's I'm perfectly fine with), never mind the though of me having a horrendous groinal bulge in my swimming cozzie :(  it's ironic that I need to lose weight to help get an op referral and I need the op to get the excercise I need to lose weight...

•  

Maddie Secutura

I'm a mesomorph and I tend to gain weight around my middle despite being on HRT for over two years.  I've just started up running again and good gravy is it tough when there are a lot of hills around.  I just have to keeo chanting to myself, "Legs and Abs.  Legs and Abs."  I do have a decidedly feminie skeleton and could easily get my waist down to 28 inches through diet and exercise.  That would more or less make me look like the women you see in fitness magazines. 

I really hate running but it's second to none in terms of calorie burning, especially if there are hills involved.  My town is made of hills.  The way I see it though, if you want the results, you'll make it a priority.  There are no excuses.

•  

Maga Girl

I run 1,5 km min per day , even 7 km  >:-)
I also do weight exercises  ::)

I want to have this body, especially her legs.. in addition, I can defend me   >:-)

•