Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

is it okay if i eventually decide not to have SRS?

Started by harisu4444, June 18, 2011, 09:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harisu4444

i'm new here, so i'll like to take the chance to say hi to all the folks here :D

i hope i'm not going against the rules with regards to what i'd like to discuss because i'm new and still familiarising with the ground rules here, and if i do by accident, my apologies in advance and i hope everyone would cut me some slack :P

i'm 22 in a mth's time, and i'd have lived full-time for three years in less than 5 mth's time. i've enjoyed life every single day ever since i started living as the girl that i shld have been, and to be honest i see myself as just another girl in the streets and have moved past the "trans" status. my family have adjusted to having a girl arnd at home, and i've a steady relationship with my boyfriend for 1 1/2 years. he sees me as a girl, is clear abt the fact that i wasn't always a girl for much of my life, and is thoroughly understanding and accepts fully of who i am, and is a totally straight male. in fact he had ended a relationship with his highschool girlfriend shortly before we met in class.

lately my therapist has been discussing issues pertaining surgery with me, and i'm still undecided abt having srs eventually. while i've now aligned my body to my soul, however, for me, i don't really identify my gender with what i have between my legs. i'm also mindful of the fact that my boyfriend and i are sexually active with each other, and yes, we do involve my male bits during sex (i'm still pretty much functional down there) because i'd like satisfaction and my boyfriend is comfortable with this. additionally, i'm not too sure if after surgery i would be able to enjoy the same level of climax and satisfaction that i get currently.

i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right section, since i would be a non-op myself like most of you here too if i decide against going for srs. i've discussed this sensitive topic with my boyfriend and he has assured me that having surgery or not will not change anything between the two of us, and he is fully supportive of any decision i would make. so i'm wondering if there are any of you here who have been in the same shoes as i am previously and decide to stay non-op eventually as a result.
  •  

Padma

Of course, it's entirely up to you what you want to do and don't want to do in your exploration of your sense of gender. There's no hierarchy, there's no "goal", there's just self-discovery. Your feelings might change over time, and that's fine too. So just think of SRS as an option, because that's all it is, one of many options.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Lisbeth

Whether it's okay or not depends only on whether it's right for you. Spend as much time here learning what is right for you as you need.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

JulieC.

I think everyone will give you a similar answer that what every is right for you is the right thing to do.  And this doesn't have anything to do with your question but I'm a little confused when you said your bf is totally straight but you involve your man bits during sex.  Totally straight guys won't have sex with other guys no matter how cute they look in a skirt and won't have anything to do with man bits.  So that might be something he likes about you as you are now.  Not that it should have anything to do with your decision.  It shouldn't.

"Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions" - Dalai Lama
"It always seem impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela
  •  

gennee

I'm not having SRS because I don't want it. I'm very happy as I am. You have to decide what's right for you.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Hikari

While I definitely want SRS at some point, I think it is totally fine if you don't. That is your choice, and never let anyone tell you that you are less who you are, just because of what you have in between your legs.

Also, if you want to get SRS later you can, but if you got it and regretted it, you couldn't go back. So there is no reason to "make a choice" now, just do what you feel like, you are still very young and you have your whole life ahead of you. In the end only you know what is best for you.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

harisu4444

Quote from: JulieC. on June 18, 2011, 11:24:22 AM
I think everyone will give you a similar answer that what every is right for you is the right thing to do.  And this doesn't have anything to do with your question but I'm a little confused when you said your bf is totally straight but you involve your man bits during sex.  Totally straight guys won't have sex with other guys no matter how cute they look in a skirt and won't have anything to do with man bits.  So that might be something he likes about you as you are now.  Not that it should have anything to do with your decision.  It shouldn't.

well he sees me as a woman and we make love as man and woman. initially he was a bit apprehensive abt having to touch my male bits, and i had also told him it was perfectly okay if he doesn't want to touch me there since taking me from the back was totally fine, but i suppose he wanted me to feel good as well so gradually he got used to things after some practice and accepted me as i am, like the whole package as he puts it.
  •  

Taka

Quote from: harisu4444 on June 19, 2011, 02:33:21 AM
well he sees me as a woman and we make love as man and woman. initially he was a bit apprehensive abt having to touch my male bits, and i had also told him it was perfectly okay if he doesn't want to touch me there since taking me from the back was totally fine, but i suppose he wanted me to feel good as well so gradually he got used to things after some practice and accepted me as i am, like the whole package as he puts it.
you're a very lucky person, i must say. not all straight men would be able to do that

i think if you're not sure, then it's better to wait with srs. it's pretty difficult to undo it, so it's better to take your time and decide on it only when you know it's right for you. if your boyfriend accepts you as you are, then there's no need to stress out about making a decision regarding the matter. be careful not to let other people convince you or pressure you, for this is your body you're talking about, not theirs. only you know what's right for you, so this is what you should try figuring out when talking to your therapist, and not the date of your surgery or anything
  •  

justmeinoz

Last Friday my therapist said something relevant to this, "you don't fall in love with a gender, you fall in love with a person."
So whatever works for you is totally ok.  I personally believe there are as many sexuallities as there are people.
Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Padma

Womandrogyne™
  •  

VeryGnawty

Personally, I think surgery is too dangerous.  If you can live without it, then it would probably be the wise choice to live without it.

And then there's the whole dilating thing.  Yeah, there's no way I would want to be stuck with that.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: harisu4444 on June 19, 2011, 02:33:21 AM

^^ That's beautiful.
My husband sees me as 100% man even if I haven't had SRS myself, so I knew it was "possible" to find men like that out there.
I'm happy to see that they maybe aren't quite as rare as we think. ;)

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Diane Elizabeth

You will still be you - with or without surgery
Having you blanket in the wash is like finding your psychiatrist is gone for the weekend!         Linus "Peanuts"
  •  

Annah

if you don't want SRS then that it totally fine. It does not make you any less of a woman (MtF) or a man (FtM) if you decide not to have SRS and do not let anyone tell you otherwise!!!!

There's been a growing trend on the blogosphere where transgirls are saying people who opt out of SRS are not real trans or real women. "Bularky" I say! :P

Your self image isn't defined by your surgeries. It's defined by you!
  •  

AprilAero

yea its totally a choice, I plan to get it because I have wanted a vagina for my entire life. One Day One Day,
  •  

RhinoP

Personally, a big belief of mine is that gender identity is both nurture and nature.

First off, it seems that studies show that in a billion ways, chemicals and hormones decide both our emotional and physical sex before birth. There's hermaphrodites for crying out loud! The womb is a complete lottery number, and there are facts that truly do identify every portion and probability, and the reality is that not one person ever seems to be born in the same way. We are truly all predisposed to various things way before we are are pushed out, gender identity being one of them.

However, facts also prove that beyond any possible predisposition, children pick up on the positive patterns of life as soon as they come out of the womb. A baby who lives in a family where the father is dominant and treated with most respect will recognize that pattern in just months, if not days. A baby who lives in a family where a mother or sister is treated with most dignity will pick up on that just as quickly. Children learn in just months what positive and negative patterns surround them, and they often do model themselves after what they perceive as being the most positive lifestyle; children often just are indeed more inclined to follow their instincts of patterns rather than listen when Mommy says "It's best if you just act like a boy!."

And the facts are that these patterns account for just as much a person's identity as any chemical predisposition. Stress even often plays a bigger part; the amount of stress a person goes through in life directly influences their strive and will to dig deeper into their own personality instead of simply settling with the world around them. You can dig up personality and identity in a billion different ways, both biological and psychological, and really, the end result is that every single person is different (some more than others) and that there is no reason to discriminate against anyone. We truly are all different in at least one way, and no one would want to be hated for that difference.

Now, GID tends to be classically defined as a person who has a strong dislike of their genitalia, and by classic definitions, GID relates to the syndrome where a person wants a limb to be amputated. The classic definitions make it sound more like a body-part problem, and not an identity problem. However, I believe that most current sources use a definition that describes a person who wants to identify as female socially and aesthetically, not just a genitalia dysfuntion. This describes a person who wants the whole picture beyond the genitalia, and in the grand scheme of money, the danger of surgery, and even sometimes a fondness of the penis, I'd say the majority of trans never go through with genitalia surgery; if they do, it's often the last thing they accomplish. Many just don't seem to let the penis, a very hide-able body part, stop them from transitioning everywhere else, both socially and aesthetically. It's actually very healthy when dysphoria gives way to a detailed and planned-out realism.

And then of coarse, some of us just plain out want to identify as a girl in 99% of our looks and social life aspects, but somehow just plain like having a penis, and some of us enjoy being androgynous, where we can "switch" back and forth from a female and male role quite miraculously. I believe all these variations are equal and very healthy, and that the only problem with the more surgically-or-hormone based side of gender identities is that surgeries and hormone effects are most of the time hard or even impossible to reverse. By definition, it can truly be more realistic to put off any type of surgery or change until one knows that they've tried every alternative way to be happy, but then again, I also am a big advocate that many times surgery or hormones are indeed needed to allow one to both improve or even begin to fit into a male or female role. I know 100% that the majority of the folks out there need a jumpstart, a sign, an improved look.

In terms of facial surgery, I oftentimes support the changes that give a person a more androgynous facial image, an image that will not extremely hinder a male nor female look. I do have to say I'm biased toward believing that every single person is truly predisposed to regretting a choice, and that if that ever happens, it's a miracle when the changes you've made just haven't been too far to either side. I have studied androgyny extensively and many studies come to the conclusion that androgynous peoples tend to have the most freedom in which lifestyles, identities, and careers they can freely choose in a subconcious or physical manner, which tends to result in the least stress and an overall higher rate of happiness than people whom are forced to conform from an early age to a certain gender role or attractiveness level. A good example of this is actor Cillian Murphy, who is known for his chameleon-like roles, playing downright sexy and beautiful transgenders all the way to masculine serial killers. He's the type of guy who could literally be any gender or personality he wanted to be, no fuss. This type of person tends to be most confident and successful in most real-world scenarios; the reality is that no one wants to be stuck in a place they can't get out of. The same goes for absolutely any life choice, I just believe it's "wise" to step into anything with caution, doing minimal steps first; steps that simply create balance, steps that test the waters.

However, that's a bit off subject though, the genitalia is a bit different than the face or body, and the identity with it, well, is more "black or white". However, the audience of the genitalia is not; there are men who like ladies with penises, there are men who like men with vaginas, there are men who like men with penises, and there are men who like ladies with vaginas. There's really a big sexual following with each individual category, as strange as the category may be; I wouldn't say that trans people are usually socially forced to decide on a certain genitalia. Many find partners either way, there are many strange "straight men" out there. The genitalia is truly the part that stems most of all from a person's feelings and it tends to be the person who has to make the choice on what feels right for them. The social force and judgement is usually applied more toward the face or body, but if the trans is truly someone who wants to forget their past entirely and be able to walk into any bar and pick up any straight man without him ever guessing, then genital surgery is just as much a part of the important equation!

•  

justmeinoz

I remember reading somewhere an answer to the question, "what do women want?"

It was , "to do what they want with their lives without having to ask anybody's permission".  Also, feminists rightly stress that no-one should be telling women how their bodies should look.

If you apply both ideas to your situation, the answer is obviously to do what you feel is best.  If you change your mind along the way, that's ok too.  End of story.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •