News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Being Unplugged

Started by Julie Marie, June 24, 2011, 10:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

Quote from: Cindy James on July 01, 2011, 03:28:01 AM
What's the recipe for frozen rum runners, Julie Marie?

Frozen Rum Runner

1 oz light rum
1/2 oz blackberry brandy
1/2 oz banana liqueur
1/2 oz grenadine syrup
1/4 oz Rose's® lime juice
1 splash pineapple juice
1 splash sweet and sour mix
1/4 ripe banana
Meyer's Rum floater

Take all ingredients (except the Meyer's) x4 plus 1 ripe banana and put them in a blender.  Fill with ice.  Blend at high speed until smooth. Float a splash of Meyer's Rum on top ("splash" can mean anything you want.) Garnish with a lime wheel and cherry. Enjoy!

The original recipe called for 151 rum as the splasher but we like the taste of Meyer's.

I used hurricane glasses and the x4 portion filled two. I then filled a plastic test tube, that probably holds an ounce, with the Meyer's Rum and floated the tube in her glass, so Julie could splash to her taste.  She ended up going back for another splash.  :D

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Cindy

Not surprised  Julikins  kept asking for another. Rebecca only drinks through  a straw but  it will be good fun.
Thnaks Dolls

Cindy
  •  

juliekins

Thank you both for the birthday wishes!

Julie's rum runners were phenomenal. It was a low key, but special day. While I was at work, my cell went off. I recognized the number as my father's cell.
I took the call, but didn't recognize the female voice on the other end. Turn's out it was my mother. We used to be close, but she couldn't handle my transition. We've not spoken in 3 1/2 years!

Although she used my old name (yuck!) we had a very pleasant conversation of 10-15 minutes. Like the hard feelings never existed. My father's encouragement finally broke through to her. She was afraid of how to speak to me, I guess. Turns out, she had nothing to fear. As is always the case, people's phobias are just that.

I later told Julie that my mom's call was very meaningful, but didn't mean as much to me as having her in my life. Besides, with whom else could I tip back a rum runner? ;)
"I don't need your acceptance, just your love"
  •  

justmeinoz

Well Jamie, I've built a house, and rebuilt a few vehicles ok, so a boat will defo be the next project.  I'll pick up Cindy and Tekla on the way, should make for a lively crew!!

I think we would have to substitute Bundaberg Rum though being Aussies, but either way they sound more like Rum Lie Down and Hold onto the Floors!

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

tekla

Well all you sail on sailors should sail out to SF next year.  It's going to be the first time the America's Cup is going to be a spectator sport as they are doing it in the Bay and we're all going to be able to watch from the hills.  Some the the test boats have been out the last month.  Unreal.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Julie Marie

Believe it or not I still have the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times from September 27, 1983, just after the Aussies broke the longest winning streak ever when they won the America's Cup.  That's how big that was to me then.

When we were in Newport we saw three old Cuppers, Intrepid, Enterprise and Freedom, that are now retired to day-cruise boats.  They are still beautiful today.  Like the old J-boats (below), they never lose their beauty.

You can't get anymore unplugged than this.
  •  

tekla

Yeah, I'm afraid we're about to change that 'unplugged' deal about the AC.  It's plugged in and wired, or wireless is more like it.  I don't think these boats even have a 'sail' anymore, they have a 'wing,' its set by computer controlled sensors all over the wing, and in the right conditions can do 2X the speed of the wind itself. 
  •  

Cindy

I still remember getting a phone call from a friend telling to get out of bed and wathch the Aussies win the America's Cup. It was unreal. What a day, people who had totally no idea what was going on were rejoicing.
Sorry to my USA friends :laugh:

Cindy
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: juliekins on July 01, 2011, 07:29:47 AM
Thank you both for the birthday wishes!

Julie's rum runners were phenomenal. It was a low key, but special day. While I was at work, my cell went off. I recognized the number as my father's cell.
I took the call, but didn't recognize the female voice on the other end. Turn's out it was my mother. We used to be close, but she couldn't handle my transition. We've not spoken in 3 1/2 years!

Although she used my old name (yuck!) we had a very pleasant conversation of 10-15 minutes. Like the hard feelings never existed. My father's encouragement finally broke through to her. She was afraid of how to speak to me, I guess. Turns out, she had nothing to fear. As is always the case, people's phobias are just that.

I later told Julie that my mom's call was very meaningful, but didn't mean as much to me as having her in my life. Besides, with whom else could I tip back a rum runner? ;)

I'm glad she contacted you. I think we forget how difficult is for some parents to accept us. Mine never did. They are both deceased and only met their other daughter when she came out to them and was immediately rejected.

You are both very lucky woman to have each other. and I hope we have a long distance friendship as well :-*

Cindy
  •  

justmeinoz

Less than eight weeks form relocating, and apparently the block of land that I really like in Deep Bay will have to be rainwater tank and septic tank/enviro sewerage system.  It has power (Tasmania's electricity is green- all hydro) and phone. 
Too good a price to knock back as it is literally across the road from the bay.  So if I do manage to get it I will be partially self-sufficient.  An Envirocycle system will give me clean water for veg and fruit trees.

Karen, keeping her fingers crossed.

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Julie Marie

When I did the bulk of my sailing, about all we had to connect with the rest of the world was a VHF.  Later, cellphones improved that connection.  When I was involved in the cell carriers initial system setups, we even had harbors that requested we add better coverage for them.  Now boats can be completely plugged.

I'm sure this guy racing around the buoys is totally plugged (the largest sloop in the world - and it's for sale)

•  

tekla

Sorry to my USA friends

No problem, we've won it back twice since then.  And the races off Perth were some of the best ever.
  •  

Pica Pica

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

gennee

Happy birthday, Juliekins.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

gennee

Quote from: Julie Marie on July 02, 2011, 08:38:50 AM
When I did the bulk of my sailing, about all we had to connect with the rest of the world was a VHF.  Later, cellphones improved that connection.  When I was involved in the cell carriers initial system setups, we even had harbors that requested we add better coverage for them.  Now boats can be completely plugged.

I'm sure this guy racing around the buoys is totally plugged (the largest sloop in the world - and it's for sale)

Wow, that's a big sloop! Wonder how much he wants for it?

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Julie Marie

•  

Cindy

Geez. you would need a big trailer and car to tow it :laugh:

Cindy
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: Cindy James on July 06, 2011, 03:24:39 AM
Geez. you would need a big trailer and car to tow it :laugh:

Cindy

I'd leave it moored at Glenelg.. and not join the Yacht Club..

And, justmeinoz, I cook and have woodworking skills.. Never built a boat though.. Furniture is more my thing..
  •  

AbraCadabra

Axelle, has surrendered to no more DSTV (Digital Satellite TV) it is off.
Dish sits unused on the roof.

Next my monitor went mostly green, gone to repair... that's 1 year ago with fewer arguments, no more just tears --- just f*ck it. So WHAT, not even DVDs then.

Radio over here is pretty bad as well, mostly African language and then white Afrikaans, both not my choice. Also mostly switched of.

So? I now enjoy reading (chick-lit... yeah, don't say it), phone conversations, and of course the internet. Our ADSL is more narrow- then broad-band but works ok for Susan's etc.

An hours walk through the neighbourhood followed by a dip in the pool (in summer, not now PLEASE! Brrrr)

Piece be on earth, amen I say :-)
Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •