News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Looking for advice to a trans mtf from an SO

Started by jayne01, March 19, 2016, 12:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayne01

Hello,

I am a 43 year old mtf pre everything transsexual. I am blessed to be married to a very loving and supportive wife for nearly 15years.

I told my wife about 8 months ago that I am questioning my gender and have been struggling to come to terms with the whole thing. I am only now learning to accept myself as transgender and not feel ashamed about that. My wife is heterosexual, but she loves me for the person I am.

It has been a very stressful time for both of us, the news affecting us each in our own way. Even though my wife loves and accepts me, she feels like a passenger on a ride she has no control of. I totally understand that. I don't know how far, if at all, I need to go down the transition path. If I do start going down that path, I intend to take it as slow as I can so that my wife has a chance to keep up. We both love each other immeasurably and we are the best of friends. I believe that is a good starting point.

I'm interested in hearing from any SO's who have been down this road. Anything you can offer as far as what has worked for you and what hasn't and anything you wished your trans partner would have done differently.
  •  

jayne01

Also, I forgot to mention. I have read that when a trans person comes out of the closet, the SO goes into a closet. Has that been your experience?
  •  

Violets

A recent episode of Insight on SBS covered the issues that loved ones face when someone close to them transitions. It also highlights a clear need for greater support for these people.
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/629302851567/insight-love-transformed

•  

jayne01

My wife and I both watched that episode. As difficult as it is for the trans person, I think the SO's have it much more difficult. To me it seems that if I transition I get what I want and my wife gets put into a closet of her own, or if I do nothing then I need to find a way to live with the dysphoria. I know there is a workable compromise somewhere in between where neither one of us suffers. For me, the absolute worse outcome is for our relationship to fall apart over me being trans. My wife is more important to me than the air I breathe.

I agree that there needs to be more support out there for the loved ones of the trans person. In some ways they seem to get the raw end of the deal.
  •  

lee.roy1.5872

Maybe your wife is more worried about you borrowing her clothes .
  •  

JoanneB

Quote from: jayne01 on March 19, 2016, 02:11:30 AM
My wife and I both watched that episode. As difficult as it is for the trans person, I think the SO's have it much more difficult. To me it seems that if I transition I get what I want and my wife gets put into a closet of her own, or if I do nothing then I need to find a way to live with the dysphoria. I know there is a workable compromise somewhere in between where neither one of us suffers. For me, the absolute worse outcome is for our relationship to fall apart over me being trans. My wife is more important to me than the air I breathe.

I agree that there needs to be more support out there for the loved ones of the trans person. In some ways they seem to get the raw end of the deal.
I am in a sort of unique 'dual role' position here with a rather unique wife. She knew of my gender issues from about day one plus was told all the history of hrt and transition experiments. All believed to be behind me at the time settling on being 'Just a CD'. Some 30 years later when I dropped the T-Bomb it was as devastating to her as it would be for any SO.

One topic of conversation that came up early on and still occasionally does is her not being sexually attracted towards women and these days not to a husband with bigger boobs then she had pre-BA. In addition to that is the total unknown of my sexuality morphing as I learn/unlock who I am. We both deeply love the other and put their happiness above our own. It took her about 20 years to yes to making our marriage official. Partly because of the hippie-chick she is not wanting the government getting into her bed and being the product of parents at eachothers throats.

She had two conditions to making things official. #1 being if the other 'Wants Out' then it's over. Leave as friends with happy memories, love, and not hate. The other was the 'Open Relationship' option. Since I was never the only man in her life, even dropped her twice before myself there was no saying no to that one either. But for 20 years or so that was never exercised.... Yet. Yet discussed as a reality
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Pollyanna

It sounds like you both are being mature and loving, which is all you can be, really. My wife is the same (knew about it early on), but we have agreed to pursue a more conservative version of transition (no dresses for me, no overt femmy makeup and stuff, but more of a tomboy kind of presentation).  Which is really all I can get away with, anyway. (Full speed ahead on the 'mones, though.) But we're taking comfort in the fact that society is much less critical of such 'odd' relationships, and also that since we're somewhat older, our relationship is not quite as physical as it once was, and more about living and being there for the other person mentally and emotionally. If people truly love each other, they will find a way to be together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

PrincessButtercup

Quote from: JoanneB on March 19, 2016, 08:08:09 AM
One topic of conversation that came up early on and still occasionally does is her not being sexually attracted towards women...

It's always reassuring to read that I'm not the only one who readily admits this.

In addition to that is the total unknown of my sexuality morphing as I learn/unlock who I am.

This is a huge fear for many of the non-gender bending SO's. It's right at the top of the list of unknowns we must contend with on a daily basis.

We both deeply love the other and put their happiness above our own.

Sounds like me and my husband, hence why we're torturing ourselves to find that happy middle ground where we can both be moderately happy.
Female since birth, female til death & an unquestionably inflexible heterosexual CIS female in between who happens to be married to a non-binary male who identifies as male.
  •  

Hikari

One piece of advice is don't get caught up thinking "if I do this it will save/end the relationship" because in truth we don't know the future. My marriage survived transition only to end a while after due to lots of very normal problems any marriage could have and Then I realized that I couldn't predict the future nearly as well as I thought.

Right now I am with a MTF woman who is very lovely, and I am very happy so even though my marriage didn't work out eventually I still have found a wonderful person to be with.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

jayne01

Thank you all for your replies. This whole thing is so scary. For me, just getting to the point of acceptance has been like climbing Mt Everest without any oxygen or climbing equipment. I don't think I'm fully there yet either, but I'm close. After acceptance would come a decision to do something about it. That is another Mt Everest on top of the first one. I'm finding that it is easy to doubt myself and fall back into denial and not accepting myself. I have to make a conscious decision not to let that happen.

I've heard some people say that transition can change sexual orientation and others say it doesn't change who you are. If I become attracted to men and my wife already only likes men and we are both women, that sounds like recipe for disaster. I am totally attracted to my wife both physically and mentally. Can transition really change that?

It does not seem right for me to change myself at the expense of my wife's sense of her own self. This is all so stressful.
  •  

Marienz

Hi Jayne
Have you considered seeing if your wife would be open to joining here or even viewing the SO section?
Just a suggestion but I learnt so much over the last 5 months just on Susan's website... The website alone over time opened up my mind.. Could it possibly help your wife?
Just a suggestion :)
Marie

Significant other
Heterosexual woman
  •  

jayne01

Hi Marie,

I have previously asked my wife if she would like to join here. I showed her where to find the SO section. She didn't want to. I can understand her thinking. She has a lot to process and has been in denial just like I have. I guess by coming on to this website is some form of acceptance. I will bring it up again with her because that was a few months ago. We have both moved past that point now.

Thanks for reminding me to ask her again.

Jayne
  •  

Marienz

Quote from: jayne01 on March 19, 2016, 05:46:53 PM
Hi Marie,

I have previously asked my wife if she would like to join here. I showed her where to find the SO section. She didn't want to. I can understand her thinking. She has a lot to process and has been in denial just like I have. I guess by coming on to this website is some form of acceptance. I will bring it up again with her because that was a few months ago. We have both moved past that point now.

Thanks for reminding me to ask her again.

Jayne

Small steps:)

Significant other
Heterosexual woman
  •  

Elhedril

Hi Jayne,
I just joined Susan's today, though my wife (she's MTF) and I have been transitioning since late 2010. For context, prior to her transition, I identified as a straight woman and we had been together for 6 years, married for 4. This year it'll be 10 years since we've been married. I can't say that it hasn't been a challenging road for us as a couple, but I will say that our love for each other has been what has made us work hard to figure it out.
You asked about what SO's may have tried, and I think therapy (both my own individual and couples therapy) has been incredibly helpful to both of us. We each have our own viewpoint on what is happening and it's important that we share that perspective and attempt to understand each other. Part of my joining this forum is exactly for that, to better understand her, even though it's been over 5 years since we've been transitioning.
You may have noticed I say "we". Initially, I saw her transition as something she was going through, but over time I've realized that it's not only her who is transitioning but us as a couple as well (and our friends, and family and co-workers, etc). It was scary at first because it made me consider my own gender identity and sexuality, and even now, I still do. But, I recognize that this is all a process, and it takes time, but it's a process that I want to see through because I love her and I still want to live the rest of my life with her.

I can say, from my own experience, when we first discussed her transition, it was a bit of a shock, but I was always supportive from the beginning. I've found that it doesn't seem to be very common (or maybe it is, which is why I'm here to find others like me) and people that we have told have generally responded with what feels a little like pity...which really bothers me, but I get it. Not everyone stays with their spouse, and it always seems surprising to people that I did.
However, over time, we've gone through all the different stages of transition; clothing, HRT, make up, electrolysis, laser, awkward androgynous stage, name change, and now we're finally in Argentina getting ready for her FFS with Dr. DiMaggio (1 week away, woo!).
We've had our ups and downs, and we've cried and fought and hugged, etc. but we never let go of what matters most, which is the LOVE we have for each other. I never thought I would end up married to a MTF trans woman, and now I'm considered a lesbian by most people because she passes as female. But, I don't care, those labels don't define me or us, and I've finally gotten to the point that if someone I know has a problem with me or my wife being who we are, those people don't deserve to be in my life, whether they're family or friends. I get to choose who I let into my life and I won't choose people who make either of us feel bad about the choices either of us have made in our lives.

All I can say, is that it's a process and it takes time to get used to the changes, but if you can roll with the punches and learn to enjoy every chapter of the process AND acknowledge that it's a transition for BOTH of you, I think you'll find that a lot of things you're worried about today, won't even matter in a few years.

I hope this was helpful and good luck to you and your wife.
hugs

•  

jayne01

Hi Elhedril,

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. I am so confused about what the right thing to do is. The only thing I am not confused about, and never have been confused about, is how much I love my wife and knowing that she loves me just as much. I actually feel closer to her and more in love with her every day. Something I never thought possible, because I thought I already love her the maximum amount possible. But then she would just go ahead and say or do something that makes me love her even more. It is a really awesome feeling to have someone in your life that you feel so connected to. That is what makes it so hard for me to do anything that might upset her in any way.
  •