Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Future is a Perfect Hoax (Alan Watts)

Started by Princess of Hearts, July 23, 2011, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Quote from: Princess of Hearts on July 23, 2011, 06:20:01 PM
Alan Watts - The Future is a perfect Hoax.wmv

Kia Ora Princess,

::) Thank you for this link, I find Alan's explanations  "mind blowing" ;) ;D

I watch one a few years ago that he did on karma,[and I haven't been the same since  ;)] he definately has a way with words...

::) One's past shapes ones present and ones present shapes ones future[which is the present that was shaped by ones past] ;) ;D

I only have one of his books "The Way Of Zen[da]" ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 23, 2011, 10:11:23 PM
BS
Kia Ora Kate,

::) Please explain BS .... does it mean "Beyond Science" ?  ;)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

tekla

I wish his kid wasn't sticking crappy soundtracks over the speaker.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

justmeinoz

I'll just stick to General Semantics as a philosophy I think.   
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on July 23, 2011, 10:39:19 PM
Kia Ora Kate,

::) Please explain BS .... does it mean "Beyond Science" ?  ;)

I keep forgetting that in the distant states sometimes use differen slangs. BS, stands for:

"Bull", meaning nonsense, dates from the 17th century,[1] while the term "bull>-bleeped-<" has been used as early as 1915 in American slang,[2] and came into popular usage only during World War II. The word "bull" itself may have derived from the Old French boul meaning "fraud, deceit" (Oxford English Dictionary).[2] The term "horse>-bleeped-<" is a near synonym. Worthy of note is the South African English equivalent "bull dust". Few corresponding terms exist in other languages, with the significant exception of German Bockmist, literally "billy-goat >-bleeped-<".

"Bull>-bleeped-<" does not necessarily have to be a complete fabrication; with only basic knowledge about a topic, bull>-bleeped-< is often used to make the audience believe that one knows far more about the topic by feigning total certainty or making probable predictions. It may also merely be "filler" or nonsense that, by virtue of its style or wording, gives the impression that it actually means something.

In his essay on the subject, William G. Perry called bull[>-bleeped-<] "relevancies, however relevant, without data" and gave a definition of the verb "to bull[>-bleeped-<]" as follows:

To discourse upon the contexts, frames of reference and points of observation which would determine the origin, nature, and meaning of data if one had any. To present evidence of an understanding of form in the hope that the reader may be deceived into supposing a familiarity with content.[6]

The bull>-bleeped-<ter generally either knows the statements are likely false, exaggerated, and in other ways misleading or has no interest in their factual accuracy one way or the other. "Talking bull>-bleeped-<" is thus a lesser form of lying, and is likely to elicit a correspondingly weaker emotional response: whereas an obvious liar may be greeted with derision, outrage, or anger, an exponent of bull>-bleeped-< tends to be dismissed with an indifferent sneer.

Kate D
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 24, 2011, 06:36:49 AM
I keep forgetting that in the distant states sometimes use differen slangs. BS, stands for:

"Bull", meaning nonsense, dates from the 17th century,[1] while the term "bull>-bleeped-<" has been used as early as 1915 in American slang,[2] and came into popular usage only during World War II. The word "bull" itself may have derived from the Old French boul meaning "fraud, deceit" (Oxford English Dictionary).[2] The term "horse>-bleeped-<" is a near synonym. Worthy of note is the South African English equivalent "bull dust". Few corresponding terms exist in other languages, with the significant exception of German Bockmist, literally "billy-goat >-bleeped-<".

"Bull>-bleeped-<" does not necessarily have to be a complete fabrication; with only basic knowledge about a topic, bull>-bleeped-< is often used to make the audience believe that one knows far more about the topic by feigning total certainty or making probable predictions. It may also merely be "filler" or nonsense that, by virtue of its style or wording, gives the impression that it actually means something.

In his essay on the subject, William G. Perry called bull[>-bleeped-<] "relevancies, however relevant, without data" and gave a definition of the verb "to bull[>-bleeped-<]" as follows:

To discourse upon the contexts, frames of reference and points of observation which would determine the origin, nature, and meaning of data if one had any. To present evidence of an understanding of form in the hope that the reader may be deceived into supposing a familiarity with content.[6]

The bull>-bleeped-<ter generally either knows the statements are likely false, exaggerated, and in other ways misleading or has no interest in their factual accuracy one way or the other. "Talking bull>-bleeped-<" is thus a lesser form of lying, and is likely to elicit a correspondingly weaker emotional response: whereas an obvious liar may be greeted with derision, outrage, or anger, an exponent of bull>-bleeped-< tends to be dismissed with an indifferent sneer.

Kate D
Kia Ora Kate,

::) So would I be right in thinking what you're saying is a load of BS  ;) ;D

•  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on July 24, 2011, 02:42:46 PM
Kia Ora Kate,

::) So would I be right in thinking what you're saying is a load of BS  ;) ;D

By refusing to belive what is so, once manages to live somewhere near reality

Kate D
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 24, 2011, 02:50:18 PM
By "refusing" to "believe" what is so, one manages to live somewhere near reality

Kate D

Kia Ora,

::) Interesting  ::) ::)

::) Keep digging...But let me know when you've had enough Kate  ;)

•  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on July 24, 2011, 02:57:40 PM
Kia Ora,

::) Interesting  ::) ....*Passing a fresh shovel to Kate for her to start digging her hole a little deeper;) ...And what is "reality" Kate ?

Perception is reality, belifs are fiction at best.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 24, 2011, 03:25:47 PM
Perception is reality, "beliefs" are "fiction" at best.
Quote from: kate durcal on July 24, 2011, 02:50:18 PM
By "refusing" to "believe" what is so, one manages to live somewhere near reality

Kate D

Kia Ora,

::) Interesting  ::) ::)

::) Keep digging...But let me know when you've had enough Kate  ;)

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Just to clear up any confusing...When responding to Kate's comment " By "refusing" to "believe" what is so, one manages to live somewhere near reality!"

I must have deleted my reply = [  Interesting  ....*Passing a fresh shovel to Kate for her to start digging her hole a little deeper*   ...And what is "reality" Kate ? ] by accident when trying to marry up her two responses...Just thought I would clarify this...

•  

Princess of Hearts

Quote from: Zenda on July 23, 2011, 08:12:14 PM
Kia Ora Princess,

::) Thank you for this link, I find Alan's explanations  "mind blowing" ;) ;D

I watch one a few years ago that he did on karma,[and I haven't been the same since  ;)] he definately has a way with words...

::) One's past shapes ones present and ones present shapes ones future[which is the present that was shaped by ones past] ;) ;D

I only have one of his books "The Way Of Zen[da]" ;) ;D

I have downloaded a lot of his videos from YouTube.   I listen to them quite a lot.   I was interested in Zen but I am more interested in Taoism these days and of course Huna.

•  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on July 24, 2011, 04:33:00 PM
Kia Ora,

::) Just to clear up any confusing...When responding to Kate's comment " By "refusing" to "believe" what is so, one manages to live somewhere near reality!"

I must have deleted my reply = [  Interesting  ....*Passing a fresh shovel to Kate for her to start digging her hole a little deeper*   ...And what is "reality" Kate ? ] by accident when trying to marry up her two responses...Just thought I would clarify this...

Ka Ora Zenda, 

Take deep breath and a break  :o , you are blubbering girl  ::)

Metta Kate D  :-*
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Princess of Hearts on July 24, 2011, 04:44:51 PM

I have downloaded a lot of his videos from YouTube.   I listen to them quite a lot.   I was interested in Zen but I am more interested in Taoism these days and of course "Huna.

Kia Ora Princess,

::) I had to look up the word Huna http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl?ww=4&w=Huna "New Thought"  sounds quite interesting...

It's quite refreshing to expand ones mind...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

BTW Kate, Thanks for your concern, I've just meditated and I'm now off for a jog through the bush before I start work...You have a nice day too....

Oh and before I forget Kate "If perception is reality, and "beliefs" are "fiction" and one refuses to "believe"[having a "belief" that is] that this is so ...Then what is "reality" Kate ?" ...I'm a little confuse with your conflicting definitions...Do you mean reality is a somewhat of a paradox ? You might like to think about it for a while longer....

•