Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Bachman gets punked

Started by Amazon D, July 21, 2011, 04:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amazon D

I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

mechakitty

Ha ha, that was marvelous. I fully support the glittering, faerie dusting, and generalized emasculation of all bigoted (and presumably horrifically closeted) politicians, wherever they might be.  :laugh:
  •  

pretty

This is pretty juvenile, she deserves it but gay people are not helping their image with these things.
  •  

mechakitty

How does it not help?

What Bachmann's group is doing, conversion therapy, is f-ing wrong. It's sick and twisted. It's sad. I fully support all kinds of protest against it. I don't see how this somehow "hurts" the LGBT community's image. Our image is already screwed up in the eyes of the far-right conservative movement. What we can do is protest against these kinds of bigots, and bring wider exposure to the kinds of insanity that they practice. This isn't blind glitter bombing; there is a message behind it, and all of the glitter bombers have declared it during and after the glittering.

Should we really be more complacent? Ah, okay, we must protect our image.

We can't have it damaged or anything...right?  :-X

NEWS FLASH: Our image is already damaged. We are pariahs in their community. We need to show the world how crazy these people are, and what a fabulous way to protest it than something as harmless as glitter. This is a cultural battleground, and we are doing what we can in the face of ideological madness to protect our rights. I am so utterly sick of the right-wing nutjobs calling what we are a "sexual identity disorder" or a "gender identity disorder." We're f-in human beings, okay?

Okay, I'm done, I promise.  ;D
  •  

pretty

Like I said, it was perfectly justified, that's not the point though...

What is the image that people see of GLBT people in the media? It's weird, crazy, juvenile, immature, etc.

When you go and reinforce "juvenile and immature," I don't think that helps. It just gives people more security in criticizing you. The message, in my opinion, is more serious than is warranted by dressing up like barbarians and throwing glitter in someone's office. That's basically on the level of a prank, it's just intentionally trying to be a nuisance. You never change anyone's opinion for the better by being a nuisance. Bachman & co. already use words like "barbaric," obviously this kind of thing just reinforces that belief. People's image of other people is changed by visibility, and by viewing those other people as people, operating as people.

Nobody except the extremely homophobic would take a place like that seriously in the first place. And doing this kind of thing certainly won't change the views of someone extremely homophobic. It might, however, be putting the wrong foot forward to people who are not really intolerant of, but also not really familiar with GLBT people. At a certain point, you just need to let it go and give it the attention it deserves: none.
  •  

tekla

Some glitter on a clinic is hardly and equivalent to the damage she has done, and is doing to this nation.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •