Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Looking for a sound premiss.

Started by cynthialee, July 11, 2011, 10:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynthialee

My Father in law is an elected official of one of the trade unions in Portland, Or.

Tonight at the diner table he asked me why he should listen and go to bat for the members of the union who want trans coverage added to the union health plan.

At the moment he asked I was sorta like a deer in the headlights and all I could come up with was the suicide rates of pre-op vrs post-op and ussing that as validation that transition is a cure.
He can grasp that it 'may' be the right thing to do and it is 'possible' that transition is the right cure.
He does of course have squik factor working against him and this is a finacial situation.
The union isn't likely to add coverage if there isn't some sort of carrot attached for them.

Although I do not work for his union I would love to somehow sway him. He did say he had members of the union bugging him over this, which likely means that they are trans and could really use having this type of insurance. And if this union does it then anouther may follow suit ....

So anyone out there think they can help?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

gennee

I agree with your assessment, Cynthialee. He would score major points for the trans employees now and in the future.                                                                                              Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

kate durcal

Quote from: cynthialee on July 11, 2011, 10:01:04 PM
My Father in law is an elected official of one of the trade unions in Portland, Or.

Tonight at the diner table he asked me why he should listen and go to bat for the members of the union who want trans coverage added to the union health plan.

At the moment he asked I was sorta like a deer in the headlights and all I could come up with was the suicide rates of pre-op vrs post-op and ussing that as validation that transition is a cure.
He can grasp that it 'may' be the right thing to do and it is 'possible' that transition is the right cure.
He does of course have squik factor working against him and this is a finacial situation.
The union isn't likely to add coverage if there isn't some sort of carrot attached for them.

Although I do not work for his union I would love to somehow sway him. He did say he had members of the union bugging him over this, which likely means that they are trans and could really use having this type of insurance. And if this union does it then anouther may follow suit ....

So anyone out there think they can help?

SRS/HRT is offered by most of the top 500 corporations in the USA? soon it will be offered to Federal employees? Why? because it is the right thing to do, good for morale, good for business, good PR; it is time for the Unions to get in the van wagon

my 2 cent

Kate D
  •  

mowdan6

Alot of the businesses that offer trans health benefits do so, because they have found, by having a diverse employee base, they have increased their consumer base.  They can advertise how open and welcoming they are to all consumers.  At least that is what I have seen in the financial industries. 
  •