Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Planning for the Present

Started by Ryno, July 23, 2011, 07:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryno

The thread posted by Princess of Hearts - The Future is a Perfect Hoax (Alan Watts) got me thinking after listening to the video. I thought I would make a separate thread because this is kind of off the topic of Alan Watts' lecture itself and I felt like having a discussion about a certain element that video brought to my mind.

When we plan for the future, we are really planning for the present. There is only the present, as past and future exist only in the minds of higher-thinking organisms. Only beings capable of memory can understand the past, and for sufferers of amnesia and other memory-robbing ailments, the past does not exist. As well, forgotten elements of what has happened in the previous present no longer exist.

The future can only be understood by an organism capable of contemplating the reactions of current actions. In physics the future can be determined based only on the precise reaction of an action, but any event that has not yet occurred does not exist. All that exists, is the Now.

When you take an action to plan for the future, you are taking that action to plan for the present. You are helping yourself now because when the reaction to your action occurs you are in the present.

Putting extra money in your savings account in the present helps you in the present.

Telling yourself your future will be better is telling yourself you are already better. Seeing satisfactory results ten years from now should not be viewed as seeing a satisfactory future, but as a satisfactory Now. Each action you take to prepare for the reactions ahead is taking action for Now.

If you constantly look "ahead" you will constantly be overwhelmed by the process of getting ahead and lose confidence. If you look at Now, every action you take is an accomplishment and the achievement of your goals.

Agree, disagree, your thoughts? These are simply ideas that sprang up in my head while listening to the excerpt of Alan Watt's lecture, so I take no offence to disagreement.
Пудник
  •  

Amazon D

Yes i use to plan for the future only to miss out on the present (or so i thought). I have come to realize that now has always been and will always be. Even when my now in this body/shell is present just in spirit i will be living in the now, but it won't be mine. I do know that much of what i did wrong in the past has to be amended for and so much of my now is doing such  (without my control just with my surrender) so when i am just a spirit living in the now i won't be carrying the past of this body/shell life with me into the next world. That now is not mine just as this now isn't mine. 

I do know that life here on earth is but a drop in the bucket of my true existence, which is an eternal one, long after this body/shell is gone. I have learned to worry not for all things (or anything) here on earth. I just ride the now surfboard of life and let above throw the waves at me and i ride them better and better all the time.

I use to get hung up on the now in my past and be concerned for the now of my future but that has been many years since i have lived in that now. My now has no ryhme or reason except to surrender to all things and be able to hear more clearly from above. 

I use to worry that my words were not reaching others now, but now, i know i need not worry for others but just keep surrendering and allowing above to use me as a vehicle for aboves message.

Yes now, is not my now and it never was mine. I do not own now nor will i ever own now. But i have learned not to live in the past or worry for the future.
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora Ryan,

::) I see "Watts" has en"light"ened your thoughts  ;)

::) "Watt[excuse the pun] was "is" and watt is "was" and "is" and has always been and will always be Watt "is" "was"!  ;)

::) Or if you like.... There's "NO" time like the present ! Don't  try to cling to Watt "is" [happiness-sadness joy-sorrow] for it will "pass"!

No-thing is "permanent" except for the "impermanent" nature of existence!

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •