Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

the term;

Started by katia, February 14, 2007, 01:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

QuoteSo using my self as the example.
If I was diagnosed but dont take hormones or go for surgery what am I then.

That's a very good question Lucy. I can relate to this as I transitioned in 1993, was diagnosed by my therapist as TS, did RLT for over a year, then for a number of reasons haven't ever done HRT or pursued surgery. As I see it, the definition of being TS is the feeling that one doesn't belong to the gender of their physical sex. Whether one chooses medical intervention (or not) isn't necessarily a requirement of being TS, IMO, it is simply one of a number of possible options. Another option is the one I have chosen (at least for now), to live somewhere in between. Now, as to what term to describe this, I don't know... non-op, androgyne, whatever, just don't call me sir or he and I'm happy ;)

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

BrandiOK

This is just the "she-male" thread with a different focus point.....why must we continue to debate about who is what and what is that what? It is pointless, petty and arguementative.

After watching the progress of the other thread I saw tempers flaring, feelings hurt and members who felt uncomfortable posting now because they no longer felt like they were seen as equals.  I really hate seeing that kind of thing happen....maybe there are just times when it's best to agree to disagree and move onto something that is beneficial to the group. 

A couple quotes from one of my favorite sources...Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce.

QuoteI am tired of fighting.... from where the sun now stands, I will fight no more.

Good words do not last long unless they amount to something.

Too many misinterpretations have been made... too many misunderstandings...

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.

Just my opinion..............

•  

Melissa

Quote from: Buffy on February 14, 2007, 07:17:44 AM
Self diagnosis is perhaps a step on the road, but until an official disgnosis is made I guess, you can not be classed as anything
I like to use the term pre-transitional ofr that point in time for a TS.  If you are not TS, then why even bother trying to figure out what term to use?

Melissa
  •  

katia

Quote from: BrandiOK on February 15, 2007, 12:12:23 AM
  This is just the "she-male" thread with a different focus point.

no the title of this topic is the term preop, the >-bleeped-< topic was a different thread, apples and bananas iow.  but thanx for the opinion.
  •  

Lucy

That is so great, that one little question should cause such controvocy. Brandi, It seem that you feel that you dont like this disscusion, my appologies. I have been playing "devils advocate" to see what sort of responce I may get, I get more information that way and findout more aabout them as a person.

No Labels for me, just going to see the theropist and take my time.

thanks lucy ;D
  •  

katia

Quote from: Lucy on February 15, 2007, 02:08:35 AM
That is so great, that one little question should cause such controvocy. Brandi, It seem that you feel that you dont like this disscusion, my appologies. I have been playing "devils advocate" to see what sort of responce I may get, I get more information that way and findout more aabout them as a person.

No Labels for me, just going to see the theropist and take my time.

thanks lucy ;D

clever girl! ;)
  •  

BrandiOK

Quote from: Katia on February 15, 2007, 02:05:31 AM
Quote from: BrandiOK on February 15, 2007, 12:12:23 AM
  This is just the "she-male" thread with a different focus point.

no the title of this topic is the term preop, the >-bleeped-< topic was a different thread, apples and bananas iow.  but thanx for the opinion.

Hence the reason I said "with a different focus point"...apples and bananas are both fruit and this is just another debate over semantics.

I'm all for discussion, it's the basis of support afterall, however when these topics are discussed down to the point that they become debates over who's terminology is right and who's is wrong it's no longer about support or information and that doesn't benefit anyone.
  •  

Melissa

This thread has a completely different flavor.  It's more like comparing bananas and meatloaf.  Their both threads about terms, but that's where the similarity ends.

Melissa
  •  

BrandiOK

While both threads did start out differently they have broken down into the same debate.  It boils down into the same arguement of what one person thinks a TS or what one person thinks a she-male is or what one person thinks a woman is etc, etc, etc. 

One person may believe that there is no "pre-op transsexual"  because you must have SRS to be TS.
One person may believe that "non-op"s can not be considered TS.
One person may believe that being a woman is dependant on physical characteristics.
One person may believe that being a woman is dependant on psychological characteristics.

My point is simply that we all have different views and argueing about who is who and what is what is counter productive.  Apparantly I'm the only one who see's it this way so I'll hush now and let the ball bounce how it may. 
  •  

passiflora

QuoteMy point is simply that we all have different views and argueing about who is who and what is what is counter productive.  Apparantly I'm the only one who see's it this way so I'll hush now and let the ball bounce how it may.

I agree with you BrandiOk, I really hate arguing about things, and will usually just stay out of these sorts of things, but I do agree, we are all going to have an opionion on things, and ultimatly people can just call themslevs whatever they want and it really doen't matter. they are just words, I just consider myself to be a girl, the rest is just a semantics argument.

-pass-
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: BrandiOK on February 15, 2007, 11:25:17 AM
  While both threads did start out differently they have broken down into the same debate.  It boils down into the same arguement of what one person thinks a TS or what one person thinks a she-male is or what one person thinks a woman is etc, etc, etc. 
In other words, a pointless discussion that doesn't go anywhere?  I'll agree with that. :)

Melissa
  •  

Cindi Jones

Oh... I don't know... it is discussions like this that may allow some to come to terms with themselves.    Semantics?  Words are wonderful! It definitely makes for some interesting reading.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

katia

Quote from: BrandiOK on February 15, 2007, 11:25:17 AM

One person may believe that there is no "pre-op transsexual"  because you must have SRS to be TS.
One person may believe that "non-op"s can not be considered TS.
One person may believe that being a woman is dependant on physical characteristics.
One person may believe that being a woman is dependant on psychological characteristics.

My point is simply that we all have different views   

exactly!

Quote from: brandiokApparantly I'm the only one who see's it this way

dunno.  we'll see as the topic progresses.

Quote from: cindi jonesOh... I don't know... it is discussions like this that may allow some to come to terms with themselves.    Semantics?  Words are wonderful! It definitely makes for some interesting reading.

atta girl! clever, put together thoughts

•  

Lucy

Quote from: Cindi Jones on February 15, 2007, 03:19:46 PM
Oh... I don't know... it is discussions like this that may allow some to come to terms with themselves.    Semantics?  Words are wonderful! It definitely makes for some interesting reading.

Cindi
Cheers cindi
I was a little confused about all this labaling lark and now I am lost..  ;)
not really, nice to here other ideas.

For newbie to this like me it helps to here the old ones argue, I watch and learn about the TS thorght process.

Im not interested in what I am, I know that allready with out a sticker on my back.
But the bottem line is it does help me realise it's not about words but what inside that counts
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Cindi Jones on February 15, 2007, 03:19:46 PM

Cindi

Words of wisdom as always my angel without wings! :)

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •