Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do You Social Media?

Started by Julie Marie, August 29, 2011, 12:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use social media? (check all that apply)

I Facebook
I Twitter
I MySpace
I (other)
I'm a social media junkie
Often
Sometimes
Never
I did but I left that scene
I hate those things!

tekla

My favorite part was when they passed a basket of money around in case you needed some.  You know, the lord helps those what helps themselves.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Pica Pica

I used to pray to God for a bike, then I got wise. I stole the bike and prayed to God to forgive me.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

tekla

It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission.
  •  

I_am_Toni_Lynn

Whilst I do use various forums (such as this) I abhor Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, et al. To me they are a sign of the decline and fall of civilisation, I say that partly in jest, but I think that a certain amount of the lack of civility in social discourse is because what we impart via social media is disconnected from true face to face social interaction (as in its easier to type f - off than it is to say it to someone's face). To me noting beats hearing the inflection in someone's voice, hearing them laugh when they are happy beats:  :D , and being able to wipe a tear away rather than stare at  :icon_cry2: .

The other problem I have with social media is that EVERYTHING IS SO UP HERE IN IMPORTANCE! There is no 'OMG you just have to see this ....' that is so important that my world will collapse if I don't see it.

Toni-Lynn
  •  

Annah

Quote from: I_am_Toni_Lynn on August 30, 2011, 02:42:21 PM
but I think that a certain amount of the lack of civility in social discourse is because what we impart via social media is disconnected from true face to face social interaction (as in its easier to type f - off than it is to say it to someone's face).
Toni-Lynn

Actually, if it wasn't for facebook, I would have never met my side of the family from Italy. We met in person and in real face to face contact and I met an entire side of my family I do not think I would have ever met if it wasn't for connecting with each other through these social networks and then meeting face to face.

So, I think it has to do with the motive of why one would do the social media to determine whether or not it would yield positive and fruitful results.
  •  

I_am_Toni_Lynn

Quote from: Annah on August 30, 2011, 09:06:34 PM
...if it wasn't for connecting with each other through these social networks and then meeting face to face.

So, I think it has to do with the motive of why one would do the social media to determine whether or not it would yield positive and fruitful results.

Point taken, Annah, and valid. My only continuance would be, that meeting face to face surely surpassed the sterile experience of social networks.

Of all the ones listed, I find Twitter to be the most unappealing (and mis-used) of all. Stereotypically it come off as nothing more than people charting a laundry list of events that are totally unimportant in the grand scheme of things. "I'm going to the store', 'Caught in traffic, dammit', 'My dog had kittens' etc ad nauseum. Its almost a form of information pollution. I am reminded of the character of Rob in Woody Allen's Annie Hall. He spend the whole movie phoning hi answering service to say, 'From 8.05 to to 8.45 I'll be at 555-2626, then from 8.45 until 10.00 I'll be at 555.2781 etc'. A more contemporary character would be Dr Cooper on Nurse Jackie, who does this sort of stuff on Twitter. All in all downright annoying behavior in a person you are trying to have a conversation with

Toni-Lynn

•  

tekla

If that's what your friends post, then you need new friends.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Julie Marie on August 30, 2011, 01:30:25 PM
Quote from: tekla on August 30, 2011, 12:54:01 PM
And one of the things that makes me think that god doesn't exist is that when people do stuff like this in his name they are not hit with a lighting bolt as soon as they have the idea.  Gangster rap (complete with sirens) for Jesus? 
Do you think if we pray hard enough we can get God to fix this?  Imagine the night sky lighting up.
Let's start an Ex-Bigot Ministry. Pray the homophobia away.

Quote from: I_am_Toni_Lynn on August 30, 2011, 02:42:21 PM
Whilst I do use various forums (such as this) I abhor Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, et al. To me they are a sign of the decline and fall of civilisation, I say that partly in jest, but I think that a certain amount of the lack of civility in social discourse is because what we impart via social media is disconnected from true face to face social interaction (as in its easier to type f - off than it is to say it to someone's face). To me noting beats hearing the inflection in someone's voice, hearing them laugh when they are happy beats:  :D , and being able to wipe a tear away rather than stare at  :icon_cry2: .
I would be tempted to agree with you, but that decline in civility started way before social media was invented.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Wes

I Facebook and I LOVE IT! Most of the people I have on there are people that I know in real life but have long since moved away from. For instance my sons and other members of my family that I don't get to see much of anymore. I have also been in Second Life for 5 years now. I have met many people in SL that I wouldn't have ever met in real life. Some say that social networks are a way for people to stop meeting face to face. Well, to many I am sure it is..but a lot of us actually meet people all over the world due to them. I have met over 30 people from cyber space in real life because of social networks. I have done things I wouldn't have ever done before because of it. For instance, seeing a musician by the name of Steve Poltz in Canada when I never heard of him before and having him nearly topple on top of me during the concert. Meeting Miss Foozie at Market Days cause a friend of mine from SL dragged me to Market Days, walking literally in the clouds in Heidal, Norway. I think it's all in how one uses the tool in how well it works for you. A hammer can either only be used to put a nail in the wall to hang a picture or it could be used to build a life time dream house. It is how you use your tools that makes them worth while or not.
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Lisbeth on August 31, 2011, 09:37:31 PMLet's start an Ex-Bigot Ministry. Pray the homophobia away.

Considering a national upheaval started on Facebook, why not an Ex-Bigot Ministry?

I clicked the Kathy Griffin video link from your signature line.  In is she says something to the fact that being called a bigot is about the worst thing one can say to another.  Maybe the ex-bigot idea has some teeth.  "Repent sinners!  Throw away your bigoted beliefs!" says Ex-Bigot Ministry Founder, Mother Lisbeth.  Maybe Facebook does have some redeeming social value. 
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Wes

I say...fight fire with fire...if something's used for bad...turn it around and use it more powerfully for good. Most of the people on my friends list are people that did not know what a transgendered person was or were not really knowledgeable in the GLBT world. I post many news articles from my GLBT arena's to my FB for my friends...They see first hand just what it's like in our world. Most have been very appalled and have become more aware and understanding. Some have even become active in the GLBT community.
  •  

JungianZoe

I have a Facebook page, Twitter, and LinkedIn.  The only one I use is Facebook though.  As I tend toward the verbose, Twitter just sucks (and I don't care about most of what gets written there).  LinkedIn is for job searching, but I'll admit that I don't have a clue how to use it.  And not a single of their professional categories matches me.  Made me rather depressed, to be honest...
  •  

AmySmiles

Just Facebook and Google+ for me.  Spam is not a problem because I only tend to accept friend requests from people I actually know in person or online.  And if they do end up being spammers, I remove them unless I know them well.  Since a lot of my friends are an hour drive away, FB in particular has been a great tool for keeping in touch and setting up get-togethers.  I use the chat and photo sharing a lot more than the other features.
  •  

Pica Pica

I use to be very averse to twitter, but I am enjoying following lots of dead people, they seem to have very funny looks at the world.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Julie Marie on September 02, 2011, 10:15:18 AM
Considering a national upheaval started on Facebook, why not an Ex-Bigot Ministry?

I clicked the Kathy Griffin video link from your signature line.  In is she says something to the fact that being called a bigot is about the worst thing one can say to another.  Maybe the ex-bigot idea has some teeth.  "Repent sinners!  Throw away your bigoted beliefs!" says Ex-Bigot Ministry Founder, Mother Lisbeth.  Maybe Facebook does have some redeeming social value.
LOL!

Quote from: Pica Pica on September 03, 2011, 07:01:20 PM
I use to be very averse to twitter, but I am enjoying following lots of dead people, they seem to have very funny looks at the world.
Guess you don't need to go to medium to channel them anymore.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

tekla

certain amount of the lack of civility in social discourse is because what we impart via social media is disconnected from true face to face social interaction (as in its easier to type f - off than it is to say it to someone's face).

Oddly enough (or not) my social media is alot tamer than what we all say to each other face to face.  In part that might be because we're all aware that our parents, or kids are also on it.  Or that we're old enough to know say it, forget it - write it, regret it.
  •