Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Men buying moisturizer

Started by Brooke_NY, February 28, 2007, 07:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke_NY

This came up in another thread so I thought I'd start a topic. Somebody was inquired if others would think it was odd if a man is buying moisturizer.

When I was 21 my skin broke out horribly with eczema. I took HOT showers, and had dry skin. But an extreme amount of stress in my new job as Director of Computing Services is probably what triggered the eczema. My whole body broke out.

I had to see a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription for some moisturizer with AlphaHydroxy 5 (I think that's what it was) in it. Those moisterizers are now available without a prescription and I buy different ones regularly.

Anyways, I have been buying moisturizer since I was 21 and was in the closet deep. I never even connected using moisturizer with my hidden closet crossdressing, which I now recognize is a symptom of my transexuality. I was in denial. Supressing things.

Nobody ever gave me funny looks about it or anything. No problems. My ex-wife (then married) wasn't concerned. My mom thought it was great that I was finally using moisturizer like she had been telling me to. My eczema went away but I kept on using moisturizer to make sure it stayed away.

And now, best of all  . . .I'm 36 and I get comments on how soft my skin is. Well, no wonder. I've been using prescription strength moisturizer for 15 years! I'm sooooooo glad I used moisturizer! Use it. You'll be glad you did later.  ;)
  •  

Buffy

I have a friend back in the UK who owns a beauty saloon.

Her biggest growth area is Male grooming products, including moisturizer and skin care products.

Nothing wrong with guys looking after their skin.... so long as they still smell like guys!

Buffy
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: Brooke NY on February 28, 2007, 07:51:33 PM
This came up in another thread so I thought I'd start a topic. Somebody was inquired if others would think it was odd if a man is buying moisturizer.

When I was 21 my skin broke out horribly with eczema. I took HOT showers, and had dry skin. But an extreme amount of stress in my new job as Director of Computing Services is probably what triggered the eczema. My whole body broke out.

I had to see a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription for some moisturizer with AlphaHydroxy 5 (I think that's what it was) in it. Those moisterizers are now available without a prescription and I buy different ones regularly.

Anyways, I have been buying moisturizer since I was 21 and was in the closet deep. I never even connected using moisturizer with my hidden closet crossdressing, which I now recognize is a symptom of my transexuality. I was in denial. Supressing things.

Nobody ever gave me funny looks about it or anything. No problems. My ex-wife (then married) wasn't concerned. My mom thought it was great that I was finally using moisturizer like she had been telling me to. My eczema went away but I kept on using moisturizer to make sure it stayed away.

And now, best of all  . . .I'm 36 and I get comments on how soft my skin is. Well, no wonder. I've been using prescription strength moisturizer for 15 years! I'm sooooooo glad I used moisturizer! Use it. You'll be glad you did later.  ;)

hehe and your SO will be glad you did too. Brooke does indeed have some of the softest skin I have ever felt. :D and her skin looks like younger skin.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: togetherwecan on February 28, 2007, 08:19:19 PM

hehe and your SO will be glad you did too. Brooke does indeed have some of the softest skin I have ever felt. :D and her skin looks like younger skin.
Ok, here's the deal.  It's something I've noticed.  Let me start off by saying I have ALWAYS had really soft skin for a guy (not as soft as it is now on HRT) and I NEVER used moisteurizer, but my ex always commented on it even when I was in deep denial because she liked it.  I also really never had many pimples either.  This is most likely due to a lower testosterone count or I wasn't affected by it so much.  The interesting thing is I have talked to many MTFs who have experienced the same thing as me.

Now let's get to part 2.  There are some people who theorize that a transsexual is really a mildly intersexed person in not only the brain, but also some visible effects with the body.  They have come up with the term Harry Benjamin's Syndrome and more info can be found by doing a web search.  I've also noticed some things about me.  Like my skeleton seems to have initially started of going towards the female side and then kind of masculinized a bit, so it actually seems to have ended up halfway in between.

So, MY theory is that Brookes skin would probably be soft whether she had used the moisteurizer or not.

Melissa
  •  

togetherwecan

very interesting thought Melissa...this I will ponder. I do believe that Brooke has some physical female attributes that are not personality driven so you could be right.
  •  

Brooke_NY

Quote from: Melissa on February 28, 2007, 10:28:22 PM
Quote from: togetherwecan on February 28, 2007, 08:19:19 PM

Ok, here's the deal.  It's something I've noticed.  Let me start off by saying I have ALWAYS had really soft skin for a guy (not as soft as it is now on HRT) and I NEVER used moisteurizer, but my ex always commented on it even when I was in deep denial because she liked it.  I also really never had many pimples either.  This is most likely due to a lower testosterone count or I wasn't affected by it so much.  The interesting thing is I have talked to many MTFs who have experienced the same thing as me.

Now let's get to part 2.  There are some people who theorize that a transsexual is really a mildly intersexed person in not only the brain, but also some visible effects with the body.  They have come up with the term Harry Benjamin's Syndrome and more info can be found by doing a web search.  I've also noticed some things about me.  Like my skeleton seems to have initially started of going towards the female side and then kind of masculinized a bit, so it actually seems to have ended up halfway in between.

So, MY theory is that Brookes skin would probably be soft whether she had used the moisteurizer or not.

Melissa

Interesting . . . .and I like it.   ;D

I have often wondered if I have a higher level of estrogen than is typical for a male. My body has never been very masculine. My body hair is light. I hardly have any chest hair. No back hair. I still don't have much facial hair and I'm 36! My dad had a receding hairline when he was my age. I don't seem to be losing any hair. My skin is soft. I don't have much muscle mass. My disposition is softer than most males. A lot of the times I can hardly stand to listen to males chat when we're grouped together without a female present. They're so crude! I'm perfectly fine being with females chatting without males present though. I was often mistaken for a girl on the phone. My voice never really 'broke'. But, my voice still needs a lot more work. hehe.

There are other reasons I can't think of at the moment.

Interesting theory. I would love to see what my levels of estrogen are. I feel more female than male.
  •  

ssindysmith

Even before I transitioned, I used a non scented moisturizer, I always carry some with me my friends joke about how much I use on my legs and arms, the only difference now I like the scented ones :) 
  •  

Kate

Interesting!

I never used to use moisturizer either, and had embarassingly feminine skin. No muscles, thin skeleton (tall though), little body hair...

BUT, I had a LOT of testosterone, and so my skin was oily and subject to acne.

Once I started HRT, the texture changed, but it also became MUCH more dry, the oil problem vanishing totally. So now I'm a slave to moisturizer every day and night and in-between, lol.

Kate
  •