Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Why no more blockbuster miracles ?

Started by Anatta, August 20, 2011, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you believe in miracles as described in holy books or otherwise?

Yes most definitely
0 (0%)
No definitely not
0 (0%)
Seeing is believing
1 (33.3%)
Other...because I know someone's bound to be "other"
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Anatta

Kia Ora,
::) According to the Christian Bible their god performed approximately 120 miracles [give or take a few], however less than 10 could be classed as blockbusters...For example "creation" seems to be a biggy then there's the destruction of "Sodom and Gomorra", not forgetting where s/he/it provided for the Israelites whilst in the desert... :icon_yikes:   

::) Sadly it would seem nowadays the only major miracles this god is accredited with are what scientists call natural disasters, like Tsunamis Earthquakes Famines etc {well that is according to some believers –who believe it's their god's way of punishing the sinners} Even though many places of worship are destroyed when these things occur...The recent quake in Christchurch NZ many churches were either damaged or destroyed -the ChCh cathedral was destroyed-people died inside it...

So why is it s/he/it stopped performing the blockbuster beneficial miracles some 2000 years ago ?

As this god lost "faith" with hir/it's creation ?

Or will these so called miracles eventually be explained away by science ?

One could argue that it's a miracle that people still believe in miracles !

This thread came about after reading this https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,103818.0.html
I didn't want to derail Jamie Nicole's interesting topic...

I put this in the spiritual thread, because  people of many faiths "believe" in miracles-not just Christians...

Metta Zenda :)

I accidentally posted this in Christianity now I've re posted it in the spiritual section...
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

tekla

Maybe he's got better things to do and is trying to tell you the same thing.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on August 20, 2011, 07:03:03 PM
Maybe he's got better things to do and is trying to tell you the same thing.

Kia Ora,

::) Now why would a omnipresent, omniscient, creator god need to "do" anything ? Let alone better things Tekla ?

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

tekla

Anything has got to be better than listening to all the humans whining.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on August 20, 2011, 09:50:34 PM

Kia Ora Tekla,

::) Now how's that saying go "You made your bed......................."

•  

tekla

I never make my bed, I prefer it ready for sleep.
  •  

Pinkfluff

Yep I'm the other lol. I believe that there are "miracles" all the time. A miracle is just the occurrence of an unlikely beneficial event. Existence, including our tiny corner of it, is a highly complex, often chaotic (mathematically speaking) system. Most of the time things progress in their normal, largely uninteresting ways. Every now and then something awesome happens, whether it be awesome in a good way or bad way. Those things that are awesome in a good way are the miracles.

The bible is neither a history nor a science book, so I don't take what is described in it at face value. I'm sure some amazing things did happen in the Middle East 2000 years ago, just as they did in Europe and everywhere else in millennia past, and as they do today too but people just don't recognize it. Often it is people who work miracles through hard work, intelligence, and cooperation with a bit of inspiration and strength from the Gods to keep them going.

Quote from: tekla on August 21, 2011, 12:19:29 AM

lol me too
  •  

BunnyBee

Reminds me of a Bad Religion song.

I guess God was a lot more demonstrative
Back when he flamboyantly parted the sea
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on August 21, 2011, 12:19:29 AM

Kia Ora ,

::) Been promoted have ya Tek?... ;) ;D

•  

tekla

You can get promoted from being ridden hard and put up wet?
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) It would seem back in the good old days god was pumping out miracles left right and centre...But now not even a fizzle...

The amount of times I heard trans-people say "I prayed to god to make me a boy/girl" and how disgruntled they became when their prayers weren't answered...

BTW Tek, you'll be right as rain in the morning...Back to your old self....

•