Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Obtaining passports with an amended birth certificate?

Started by tgchar21, June 13, 2011, 10:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgchar21

Has anyone had problems with obtaining a U.S. passport with using their amended birth certificate? A few adoptees have told me that they've run into issues with using their amended BC's to prove their citizenship. I've not heard of any trans people with the same issues though. I see two differences in the adoptee vs. TS issue:

1. When a child is adopted information that is integral to proving one's citizenship is often altered - birthdate, birthplace, parents' names, etc. With TS folks, the only items altered in most cases are name and sex.

2. The most critical piece of information on whether an ABC is accepted or not appears to be if it shows the original filing date; if that date is not within a year of birth additional information is usually requested. For the TSs on here, does your new BC show that piece of information or not?

Thanks!
  •  

straycat

I know the state department has recently upgraded rules about what information must be on birth certificates used for primary evidence of citizenship.  Certificates issued before the rule changes might not meet the requirements.  For someone applying for a passport now, if it has been a few years since they obtained their amended certificate, it might be best to request a new copy to be sure it is up to the latest standards.

I have never heard of birthdate or birthplace allowed to be changed even in an adoption unless it was a correction and documentation was provided to prove the error.  If you are a citizen but your birthplace is not in the US, your birth certificate alone can't be used as primary proof of citizenship.

I have not obtained an amended birth certificate after transition yet, however my current birth certificate is one which was amended several years after my birth due to adoption and my full name as well as my parents names were changed.  A recently issued copy as well as my old worn out copy does show the original file date (a few days after birth), no amendment date, and nothing on it to indicate that it was ever amended.  I know it was and when because I have the court order for the adoption.
  •