Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do you ever wonder why ?

Started by Anatta, December 02, 2011, 02:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Quote from: Seras on January 01, 2012, 11:56:14 AM
I am not religious, I am a hard sceptic who believes we can know nothing of (G)god/s:

The traditional monotheistic God of the western world is three things. All loving, all knowing and all powerful, it is also supposed to forgive for all sins. If you consider this definition then the answer to your questions become clear. This God is not the vengeful bitchy God of the old testament unleahsing plagues because you did not slaughter your goat properly and demanding you take an eye for an eye, it is the God of love for all, *why would you ever question that such a God, should it exist would not help you? *

Kia Ora Seras,

::) You have made some interesting points thanks, however "Can a leopard change it's spots ?"

::) When it comes to the old and new testament god, it would seem they are one of the same, both vengeful, vindictive = infanticidal, floods, tsunamis, earthquakes and then all of a sudden kind and compassionate,saving and sparing = 'subjected to extreme mood swings' so to speak...

::) After all why would this all knowing/omniscient god suddenly have a change of heart and go from bitching to benevolent -one minute striking out at anything in it's path, then the next minute it is credited with doing the most wondrous things ?

::) *Because in the eyes of the true believers[those who (for want of a better description) seem to know what their god wants ] I'm a heretic and a blasphemer and shall reap what I sow ! *  [Of which BTW my crop seems to be doing quite well]...

::) I agree with Annette, when it comes to transition, in that people seems to pray and pray for god to lend a helping hand[throw in a miracle of two on their behalf] but NOTHING happens-well nothing that one could say with certainty was a god's doings...

::) But then it's all in the minds [of the believer and non believer a like]...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

melissa.wilkins

No I don't.

Simply because the Bible says in:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a.] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b.] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

There was story I heard that went something like. "two Christians were asked to explain the Bible while jumping on one leg. To which they replied (after starting to jump), "Love God and love each other as you love yourselves - the rest is commentary"". The jumping finished.

I hope I don't get flamed for this comment.

•  

Anatta

Quote from: melissa.wilkins on January 01, 2012, 08:06:00 PM
No I don't.

Simply because the Bible says in:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a.] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b.] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

There was story I heard that went something like. "two Christians were asked to explain the Bible while jumping on one leg. To which they replied (after starting to jump), "Love God and love each other as you love yourselves - the rest is commentary"". The jumping finished.

I hope I don't get flamed for this comment.

Kia Ora Melissa,

::) Feel free to voice your opinions...Nobody's going to flame you for it....

::) Do you 'think' your god helps the non believers like myself to transition? And do you think s/he/its give many of its trans-followers a hard time ?

::) Surely it must make you question its judgment...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

melissa.wilkins

Quote from: Zenda on January 01, 2012, 08:21:13 PM
Kia Ora Melissa,

::) Feel free to voice your opinions...Nobody's going to flame you for it....

::) Do you 'think' your god helps the non believers like myself to transition? And do you think s/he/its give many of its trans-followers a hard time ?

::) Surely it must make you question its judgment...

Kia Ora Zenda (I do have some friends in NZ)

Like I said, if everyone, be they trans, straight, gay or lesbian, followed the second Commandment we wouldn't have a problem.
  •  

annette

No Melissa, you are not going to be flamed.
You have your opinion, your belief, and that's your right to have.
If you are happy this way, I will problaby be the last person to say, you have to see it different.
If your faith gives you the strenght to face the daily life struggle, it's good for you.
Bottomline is that everyone can live in peace, with her/his self and with others.
I'm a not into religion, I'm strong against religion for the reasons I earlier wrote, but that doesn't mean I can't respect a believer.

hugs
Annette
  •  

melissa.wilkins

Quote from: annette on January 02, 2012, 03:33:02 AM
Bottomline is that everyone can live in peace, with her/his self and with others.

Thanks Annette, that is all we can hope for. Your bottomline is the foundation for a more accepting society where everyone is treated equally and respected equally for their own choices.

I studied martial arts and my teacher said, "respect everyone and treat everyone equally" and he also said "because you have learned this, I will teach you everything I know". Like I was the most hopeless student but I learned a lot and he was very patient with me.

So whether you are Chinese, Christian or a non-believer it is all based on the same principle, as you put it "Bottomline is that everyone can live in peace, with her/his self and with others."

Lots of hugs

Melissa :-*
  •  

V M

Sometimes I wonder why people wonder why but then I realize that I'm wondering why as well... Oh darn, I'm a living being dealing with my existence upon this planet along with a few billion others
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

tekla

respected equally for their own choices

I think that if you are intending to live in a free and open society then you are going to have to practice a high degree of tolerance.  If you want the ability/right to make your own choices, then I think you have to give that right to everyone and let them abide in it.  But I don't think that is the same as respect. 

Face it, for whatever reason (and many of them are good), people are going to make some bad choices.  Some horrible choices.  Choices that are criminal or insane, or both.  And I don't have to respect any of those choices, or their fallout.

I do my best to treat people equally (not because I'm a good person, but because given a lot of the people I work with it just PISSES them off to no end to be treated like everyone else), and I do my best to display respect for everyone I encounter - meaning I don't intentionally show disrespect and, as one of my best friends once said, "I'm viciously polite."  And more than anything else I make an effort to do on a day to day basis, I refuse to let someone else's bad behavior dictate my conduct.   But treating people with respect is NOT the same as respecting them (and in particular, respecting their choices), which tends to be something that builds over time.  You earn respect I think.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •