Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is There Good and Evil?

Started by Sam(my)I am, August 19, 2011, 10:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam(my)I am

Good and evil have always been discussed and always in a sense on absolute.
Though we always say that "that is evil!" or "he was a good man!" is it really true?
Who is to say that a man is good? we all perceive things differently,

a man who robs a bank is evil in most eyes, right? What if he was doing it to get money to save those he loved?
Isn't the act of trying to save someone good?

Here is another example, a woman goes into a bar and shoots a man, she just killed
someone that is an evil act, what if the man would have killed others?

These may be bad examples but I think I can say that what we think as evil or as good
is not actual a true rating of good and evil. These are things we perceive, such as many perceive
going to war as evil while other see it as something good. Our perception make us judge things one way the other
But if we keep a completely neutral mind I almost want to say there is no good and evil, only what we want to label.
  •  

Annah

I believe Good and Evil has a spectrum to it. There are varying levels or "shades" of good and evil with humanity naturally right in the middle of it with the self conscious action to go towards good or go towards evil.

I do not believe there is a "standard" but I do believe it exists in various shades.

Now, this is different than "religious good and evil" which sets their definition upon their own spiritual convictions. For example, a fundamentalist Christian would think I am evil for practicing witchcraft. I find those practicing the dark magics by taking advantage of the dark moon to do harm to others is evil.

However, in a strictly post modern humanism view there are evils that transcends religious convictions.

One is to murder an innocent person for self gain or self fulfillment
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

I wrote about this on my proficiency test in school last year, nothing is really good or evil, it's just human emotion.
  •  

Sam(my)I am

Interesting idea Annah but not something I could say when I think on it, but your entitled to your beliefs in opinions, btw slightly off topic you wouldn't happen to be wickan, would you? had an ex-girlfriend who was, she has similar idea.

Trista, that is one way to say it our emotions are after-all what generally guide our thoughts an actions no matter how logical we are.
  •  

Annah

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on August 19, 2011, 10:13:53 AM
I wrote about this on my proficiency test in school last year, nothing is really good or evil, it's just human emotion.

Well, technically speaking, it is human emotion (and in spiritual circles it is more than just human) but at the same time it is the results in which the human emotions have acted upon that would be seen as evil, good, jealously, love, hatred, selflessness, prideful, humble, etc. And these emotional results can be quite tangible.

To say good and evil is an emotion and therefor, does not exist is like saying love is an emotion and therefor, does not exist.

Emotions can morph into actual actions that can alter a specific or random real life event that goes far above than just a "feeling."
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: Annah on August 19, 2011, 11:03:09 AM
Emotions can morph into actual actions that can alter a specific or random real life event that goes far above than just a "feeling."
That's what they are, just feelings. I agree with what you say about how it would be like saying love is an emotion and therefore doesn't exist, but they're just emotions.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Evil is the word men use to label that which they don't understand.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,
Is there Good and Evil ?

::) YES & NO !

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Amazon D

In the earthly realm good and evil is relative to the persons giving and receiving it.

in the spiritual realm i am not sure or it hasn't been revealed to me yet

so i am open to hearing from others if they have insight
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

angellee

I believe good and evil is a matter of opinion.
  •