Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

DOMA and Immigration

Started by Lisbeth, August 16, 2011, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisbeth

I was reading through this article on MetroWeekly (), and a thought occurred to me. DOMA is used to invalidate same-gender marriages in the United States, and the couple in this article were married in California, one person being American and the other Australian. But what would happen if one were American and the other Canadian, and they were married in Canada? In that case it's not the sovereignty of a state to perform marriages being denied. That would be denying the sovereignty of foreign country. That means DOMA would not apply. Granted, what could Canada do besides declare war on the U.S. or impose an embargo? But the U.S. needs to stop acting like it has the right to dictate world morality.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Janet_Girl

I have been looking into this very problem.  What if someone was wanting to marry their same sex partner and they were from, as the UK?  According to the rules, you can not sponsor your partner, because the US of Idiots does not recognize same sex marriages.

It is long time to remove the DOMA.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Hello! ... rings true to me.
* But the U.S. needs to stop acting like it has the right to dictate world morality. *

But that would need to re-educate the legal-beagles for a start. YMMV

Once you start interacting with US version of morality it feel like getting flattened with a PC-steamroller.

I understand more and more the many objections coming this way (US).

It's feels almost desperate, constantly trying to take and hold the "high road".
Goody-two-shoes in camouflage Abrahams armour, eh? And always misunderstood to boot.
Sad.

Just my 2 cents, also I worked for some years in the US, early 2000 - nothing has changed, um.

Axelle
PS: take note, my father was a US citizen too, an Okie

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

tekla

Once you start interacting with US version of morality it feel like getting flattened with a PC-steamroller.

QFT.  People inside the US don't realize the impact of US decisions on the rest of the world and the stupid level of power behind them.  American's still don't really understand 9-11, holding on to some tripe about 'how they hate us for our freedoms' but they have a bit more to hate us on. 

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

eli77

Most countries that don't have marriage equality, also don't recognize same-sex marriages from other countries. There are a handful of exceptions (ex: Israel and Mexico), but very few.

There are exactly 10 countries that have marriage equality: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, and Sweden. There are roughly 195 countries in the world (give or take a few independent not-quite-countries). That's 0.05 percent. Don't feel bad. The States just sucks as bad as pretty much everyone else.

Quote from: Irish Janet on August 16, 2011, 10:59:59 AM
I have been looking into this very problem.  What if someone was wanting to marry their same sex partner and they were from, as the UK?  According to the rules, you can not sponsor your partner, because the US of Idiots does not recognize same sex marriages.

It is long time to remove the DOMA.

Brits can't marry either. They have "civil union."
  •  

AbraCadabra

Tekla.
QTF = Quoted For Truth ... or, Quite F*cking True?

Not so 'en fait' with this stuff - yet.

Axelle
PS: Yeah, but US likes claiming to be world leader in "freedom" of choice... need to do some catching up methinks, no?
  •  

Ann Onymous

Quote from: Axélle on August 16, 2011, 11:30:52 AM
Tekla.
QTF = Quoted For Truth ... or, Quite F*cking True?

Not so 'en fait' with this stuff - yet.

QFT is generally the former...

QFTMFT is 'quoted for the mother effing truth' when you really want to emphasize the point  :laugh:
  •  

tekla

The problem is that it's not the entire US that is that way.  And that in our own - very weird - way, people in the US aren't much affected by federal law, it's mostly the state laws of where they are living that apply to most stuff, and there is pretty much 50 different sets of those.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Excellent legal abbreviation... not problem to relate to.

Like, "...and as my client stated, the defendant spoke the untruth when calling her a bloody lesbian as she has an excellent track record to the contrary QFTMFT...." etc. pp

Good one, thank you
Axelle

•  

AbraCadabra

* it's mostly the state laws of where they are living that apply to most stuff, and there is pretty much 50 different sets of those. *

Ah so!
That sounds some more behind the times.
'Napolen I' sorted out these legal issues the French had THEN, that's over 200 years ago!! OMG

Time for a benign dictator?

Axelle
  •  

Ann Onymous

Quote from: tekla on August 16, 2011, 11:43:04 AM
The problem is that it's not the entire US that is that way.  And that in our own - very weird - way, people in the US aren't much affected by federal law, it's mostly the state laws of where they are living that apply to most stuff, and there is pretty much 50 different sets of those.

complete with county and municipal ordinances that may be more or less restrictive or permissive than State law or where there are conflicting holdings in various Courts of Appeal throughout the State...
  •  

tekla

and of course homeowners associations, and in Cali we have these independent little duchies that are trans-county but sub-state, though the state has a hard time controlling BART or the GGB, both of which have their own police forces.  And, dig this, you have to love it.  On the corner of Bay and Laguna in San Francisco (you can google map this and see it) two parks sit catercorner from each other.  In one park, The Moscone Recreation Center (with the baseball diamonds and tennis courts) you will get a ticket for smoking a cigarette.  You'll be smacked for drinking in public too.  Twist up a phatty and burn one?  Sure.  That's fine.  Medical and all.  However, across the street (well across two streets, you want to obey traffic laws) it's fine to smoke all the ciggy's you want, drink beer?  Heck yeah, bring the whole cooler.  But spark up a doobie, oh no, you're on federal land (Fort Mason) and they will bust you for that.  Crazy.
  •  

gennee

It's the US government that everybody hates. I find that people from other countries like Americans. The American government has supported every tin-horn dictator in the world. Looking at what's happening in the middle east and Europe, the last bubble of the government(s) has burst.                                                                                                                                 One difference between foreign countries and Americans is that the people in other places know that the government is corrupt and does not represent their interests. That's why they're in the streets protesting.     
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

tekla

It's the US government that everybody hates. I find that people from other countries like Americans.

But few Americans understand that, and fewer still can make that separation in their own head.
  •  

gennee

Quote from: tekla on August 23, 2011, 09:37:44 AM
It's the US government that everybody hates. I find that people from other countries like Americans.

But few Americans understand that, and fewer still can make that separation in their own head.

You're right about that, Tekla. A lot of Americans listen to the news and their leaders rather than find out on their own. The line that we are the greatest culture is a crock because the government has demonstrated the ignorance and racism in supporting all these dictatorships.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

tekla

The line that we are anyone is the greatest culture is a crock
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: tekla on August 16, 2011, 11:20:44 AM
holding on to some tripe about 'how they hate us for our freedoms' but they have a bit more to hate us on.
Well, if you define "freedoms" as the idea that Americans can have their way with the people of any country in the world, then yes, other people do hate them for their "freedoms."
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

•  

tekla

It's not our fault that they chose to settle on top of our oil.  But Predator Drones make awesome eviction notices.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: tekla on August 23, 2011, 12:12:53 PM
The line that we are anyone is the greatest culture is a crock
Reminds me of the joke some French people tell...

Q: What is the difference between an American and a pot of yogurt?
A: After a time the yogurt will develop a culture.

Which reminds me of my favorite President Bush quote...

"You know what's wrong with the French? They have no word for entrepreneur."
--Julia Serano

•  

tekla

Well that's kinda funny, because I've thought that one of the problems with America is that we didn't publicly execute Bush, Cheney, Rummy and Condi for crimes against humanity and war crimes.
  •