Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

are klinefelters/5 alpha reductase deficiency closely related?

Started by xxUltraModLadyxx, September 28, 2011, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxUltraModLadyxx

they are both intersex conditions. i discovered before hrt that i had symptoms alot like both of these, but the difference is that klinefelters is involving sex chromosomes while 5 alpha reductase deficiency involves the inability for testosterone to properly bind into dihydrotestosterone resulting in reduced masculinization during puberty, and some more feminizing. my voice never went down to a male pitch, i had partial breast development, lots of female fat distribution, soft feminine bone structure, poor muscle strength. even though i was almost 18 by the time of hrt, i had about tanner stage four or five as far as pubic hair. the only thing really was excessive hair for a female. so, are the conditions closely related as far as symptoms? the early symptoms for 5ARD are basically across the board while klinefelters can't really be determined unless it's a chromosomal karyotype, which i've had done, but i am only XY. i'm asking this more out of curiousity than anything. since i'm on a female hormone balance now, it is basically being cured.
  •  

LivingInGrey

5AR is more of a re uptake issue then it is anything else. 5AR is closer to Androg in Sensitivity, in men 5AR is needed to turn T into DHT (the stuff that causes hair loss) and with less DHT in your system you would start to feminize during puberty.

When you had your Endo visit was your free T levels real high? If you were in normal levels for T then I wouldn't imagine you had a problem with 5ARD.

But then again, I'm not a Doc.
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

xxUltraModLadyxx

Quote from: LivingInGrey on September 28, 2011, 08:02:25 PM
5AR is more of a re uptake issue then it is anything else. 5AR is closer to Androg in Sensitivity, in men 5AR is needed to turn T into DHT (the stuff that causes hair loss) and with less DHT in your system you would start to feminize during puberty.

When you had your Endo visit was your free T levels real high? If you were in normal levels for T then I wouldn't imagine you had a problem with 5ARD.

But then again, I'm not a Doc.

i actually have bloodwork results from when i was 16, so i should check. my total was 266 ng/dl, but free is another story i guess. 266 is on the low end of male range for tanner stage 5.
  •  

Lepidoptera

Klinefelters is also often linked to reduced virilization during puberty. Individuals will often have a low serum testosterone level but high serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels. Small testicles and gynecomastia (increased breast tissue) also show up in some people with Klinefelters.
  •