Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hey Old People! There is NOTHING there waiting for you at 65

Started by Stephanie, May 19, 2011, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephanie

Overthrow the system that is sucking your life blood away and making you beg permission for everything.   You should become an Anarcho->-bleeped-<!

•  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Valeriedances on May 20, 2011, 06:25:05 AM
I'm too afraid to watch the video. I hate bad news.

But...it's Stefan Molyneux.  You have to watch!
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Janet_Girl

I started to watch it but i quit because I was getting irritated.
  •  

rejennyrated

Don't be put off by the first 8 minutes ;D that's just the warm up - he is merely setting out the issue.

From about 8 minutes in he starts to come to the point and his analysis is spot on!

It is a very thought provoking and clever video.

I was slightly amused that he is clearly older than I am though (either that or the years haven't been too kind)  :laugh:
  •  

Janet_Girl

Basic math.  If 10 people retire and there are 100 people to pay in it works.  But if these 100 retire and the is only 80 people to pay in, guess what?  It collapses.  Then add in that someone keeps taking money from the pot, without asking.  Then you are in serious trouble.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Janet Lynn on May 23, 2011, 10:48:33 AM
Basic math.  If 10 people retire and there are 100 people to pay in it works.  But if these 100 retire and the is only 80 people to pay in, guess what?  It collapses.

Yeah, but we can just keep printing/borrowing/makebelieving more money into the system.  It's worked so far!

I heard Obama wants to raise the debt ceiling.  (By "debt ceiling" I am referring to the imaginary cap on debt which supposedly exists despite the fact that the federal government borrows more money every single year)
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Julie Marie

Many years ago I read an article in Reader's Digest.  It stated that, at that time, the U.S. Social Security was so financially healthy that is could fund itself without any more contributions for the next several decades.  Politicians must have read that too because shortly afterward I began reading how they were "borrowing" money from SS to fund their pet projects.  Problem is that money was never paid back and soon SS was broke.

Corporate raiders?
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Jen61

9.45 minutes iof absolute gibberish. The facts is that even if we doo nothing wabout ss, there would be money until 2045. He also conviently forget thatt a lage fractiion oif us have IRS and other investments, and that we arre living healthier longer, and thus capable of wiorking late in our lifees.

Jen61
  •  

Princess of Hearts

That Princess of Cups was such a minx.  I wonder what happened to her?

:laugh:

•  

Julie Marie

The first time watching the video I couldn't make it to the finish.  At Jenny's suggestion, I started watching around 8 minutes.

But I disagree, we do have control, we just don't exercise it wisely.  In fact I will say the vast majority of voters are too damn lazy to take control.  It would mean they have to actually do some research and ignore the man (or woman) on the tube. 

One thing that could dramatically change the political system is to change the campaign laws.  For starters:

Eliminate all campaign contributions. This would mean big money loses it's direct influence over politicians.  They would have to transfer the money under the table and risk prosecution.  Right now anyone, from anywhere in the world, can make campaign contributions to U.S. candidates.  Anyone see a problem with that?

Allocate a certain amount of tax revenue for political candidates.  By eliminating campaign contributions and therefore the debt elected officials have toward their contributors, we will save tax dollars.  That saving comes from the tax dollars spent on special interests, giving big money tax breaks and all the other things politicians spend our tax money on to keep their campaign contributors happy.  Some of that savings could be used to pay for the new TAXPAYER FUNDED campaign costs.  And if the candidate sees those funds come from ALL of the voters, and not just the rich ones, who will they be indebted to?

I'm sure there's a number of other things and I know what I propose would need to be better defined.  But so much of the problem with the system now is the lack of simplicity.  And it lacks simplicity because those we elect don't want a system that can easily be criticized.  Their motto: "Baffle them with bull>-bleeped-<."
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •